Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good hotel in Cork area?

Options
  • 10-10-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hey sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I couldn't find anywhere else. :confused:

Looking for a nice 4 or 5 start hotel anywhere in Cork that would be good for a night with the girlfriend. It's only going to be for one night but preferably somewhere nice with good location, rooms, food etc.

All advice welcome please, thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

if you're looking for a piece of heaven, you can't go wrong with Hayfield Manor, one of the most prestigous hotels in Cork (and a 10 minute walk from the city centre) - you could also try Jurys on Western Road (about 3 minutes from Hayfield, closer to town again) - it's newly re-built, there's also the Kingsley on the Carrigrohane Road or the Imperial (slap bang in the city)......haven't stayed in any of these, but if money was no option, I'd pick Hayfield every day! http://www.hayfieldmanor.ie/ (also, its the place where most famous heads stay - Pierce Brosnan stayed there when UCC gave him his honorary doctorate a few years ago, I also saw David Suchet - Poirot - there once :eek: )

just checked their site, they're doing 1 night B&B €149 in total - a bloody steal, I might book in myself

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Kinglsley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If your only staying one night go to the Imperial as said above it's slap bang in the middle of the city and if you have the cash give the penthouse a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Kinglsley

Location of the Kingsley isn't the most romantic but the rooms are very nice and they do have the outdoor hot-tub.

How about the Sheraton out at Fota?

cjmcork wrote: »
    (also, its the place where most famous heads stay - Pierce Brosnan stayed there when UCC gave him his honorary doctorate a few years ago, I also saw David Suchet - Poirot - there once :eek: )

Daniel Radcliffe also stayed there last year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭glanman

Jurys Hotel, not Inn, is nice, about 5-7 mins to city centre.

http://www.doylecollection.com/locations/cork_hotels/jurys_cork_hotel.aspx

Hayfield probably the best for impressing though! about 15 mins walk to city centre is only drawback, but nice walk if you go down by st finbarrs.

http://www.hayfieldmanor.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

There are another few too.

There's the Maryborought House hotel which is a 5 star and while not as central as Hayfield its still really nice with yummy food.

The Rochestown Hotel is alright too with nice gardens and is just off the south ring road so easy to get too and easy to grtab a bus/ cab into town.
    Fota is nice but is not a sheraton any more and seems to be in some financial difficulty.
    Other than that there are a few good hotels in the county such as the Clonakilty Lodge and spa, its awsome.
    Or Kinsale has a couple and its an amazing place!

Have fun on you trip!

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Other than that there are a few good hotels in the county such as the Clonakilty Lodge and spa

Don't mean to be smart or pull you up on this but I think you mean the Inchydoney Lodge and Spa. Just thought I'd mention it in case the original poster googled it and got the Clonakilty Quality Hotel LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭glanman

Meant to say the Clarion is a nice modern hotel, most central of all I would say, other than Imperial.

http://www.clarionhotelcorkcity.com/

Hayfield Manor has the most character of all I would say, but have never stayed there.

What weekend are you staying, you will do well to get reservation on the 25th weekend, the jazz is on and Cork will be booked solid!

If you are going outside of the city I would say got to Kinsale or head to West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Don't mean to be smart or pull you up on this but I think you mean the Inchydoney Lodge and Spa. Just thought I'd mention it in case the original poster googled it and got the Clonakilty Quality Hotel LOL :D

Good Call, I knew it sounded wrong when I was writing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

glanman wrote: »
    Meant to say the Clarion is a nice modern hotel, most central of all I would say, other than Imperial.

http://www.clarionhotelcorkcity.com/

Hayfield Manor has the most character of all I would say, but have never stayed there.

What weekend are you staying, you will do well to get reservation on the 25th weekend, the jazz is on and Cork will be booked solid!

If you are going outside of the city I would say got to Kinsale or head to West Cork

Stayed in both and the Hayfield will impress. The Clarion is central, very comfortable and the kitchen brigade was good last time I was there. Clarion group might be doing deals on-line, depending on dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Clarian - most central and modern :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

spoofilyj wrote: »
    There are another few too.

There's the Maryborought House hotel which is a 5 star and while not as central as Hayfield its still really nice with yummy food.

The Rochestown Hotel is alright too with nice gardens and is just off the south ring road so easy to get too and easy to grtab a bus/ cab into town.
    Fota is nice but is not a sheraton any more and seems to be in some financial difficulty.
    Other than that there are a few good hotels in the county such as the Clonakilty Lodge and spa, its awsome.
    Or Kinsale has a couple and its an amazing place!

Have fun on you trip!

Below is from the Maryborough House Hotel:

Room Name Family Room-KIDS FREE!
    Adults Children

Occupancy maximum: 2 Adults + 1 Child
    Rate € 65.00 EUR Per Adult per Night / Children free
    check-in: Sat 30 Jan 2010 - check-out: Sun 31 Jan 2010
    no. of nights: 1
    Description Stay at Maryborough and bring the kids for free.This great rate entitles 1 free child per room.Please state on booking childs age and whether you require an extra bed or cot for your little darling!.For larger family rooms, interconnecting or adjoining rooms please contact the hotel directly on 021 4365555.

- Funny how "Kids" suddenly turns into one Child - Is it some obscure schizophrenia reference or something?

A "Family" room with a maximum of one Child???

- Its going to be fun to watch as Irish Hoteliers continue to drive their Businesses into the ground through blind greed and abject stupidity.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Try the Maldron as well, just a few minutes away from the city centre.
    I've stayed there twice and found both times excellant - nice food, bar, accomodation and price.

Advertisement