Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blueproximity! lock/unlock system with your mobile's bluetooth

• 10-10-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Been meaning to try this for a while after I found this thread in the ubuntuforums:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702372
    (installing is a lot easier than the guide makes out, if you have bluez already installed all you really need then is blueproximity from package manager)

Basically, set up your system to lock when your mobile goes out of bluetooth range and unlock when you come back! :)
    But with some scripting it could do all sorts of things, pause/resume your music playing, set pidgin status, I have it set to lock and poweroff my monitor.

Got it working on Mint 7 easily enough, tweaking the distances/timeouts for my house, I'd say it would be cool in an office environment.
    I'm like Homer Simpson at the US Embassy in Australia here testing it, locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sounds cool! Really good idea. Does it not kill your phone battery though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tried it for a while,

you can set it to react to the signal strength so you can fine tune how close you need to be

yeah it does eat the mobile phone battery, though one option is a USB powered phone charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ya it does wear the battery down a bit.

Seems to turn my monitor off while watching stuff fullscreen is SMPlayer too... :/

Advertisement