Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for an interview with HMV?

Options
  • 10-10-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I posted this in Work & Jobs but figured I might get a better response here.

I have an interview with HMV (seasonal sales assistant) next week and I would greatly appreciate any tips for questions that might be asked or any advice for the interview in general. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Takk wrote: »
    I have an interview with HMV (seasonal sales assistant) next week and I would greatly appreciate any tips for questions that might be asked or any advice

I think the interview might go like this.

"How are you at slagging off the customers. ??" "Good ! you say !!" "Ok you've got the job !!"

Sorry! Could not resist. :D (See thread link below)

Good luck with the interview anyway. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055697416

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Look up current games and movies as well as music.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Q Where do you find punk?
    A On my sheets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Kold wrote: »
    Look up current games and movies as well as music.

^
    That. And whats the most important. Be positive, smiling -exactly the person you would like to see as sales assistant.
    Let them know u like to learn and develope:)
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Just act like an alternative rocker of some sort, thats all they hire. saps >:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

It'll be all the usual questions focused on Customer Service, customer service, customer service. Give examples of a time that you worked in a team and what your role in it was. Give an example of a time you worked to a deadline. Give an example of a time you dealt with a difficult customer. What are your strengths and what are your weaknesses. Give an example of a time you asked for help in the workplace. Give an example of a time that you dealt with a difficult colleague. Also, why do you want to work for HMV? What do you like about HMV? What does the brand name mean to you? They also might throw out a weird one like asking which high street retailer you think gives good customer service and which bad.

Most of all, be really passionate about music, dvds and games (depending on what section you are going for) - you would be surprised at the amount of people who interview in music shops not seeming to have the slightest bit of interest in music. To be honest though, you may not even be asked what kind of music you like, considering the corporate retail nature, it doesn't really matter in HMV - but if you are, it will probably be something very general, like what band has had the biggest impact on you. (they may not bother though).

Oh and just in case be vaguely familiar with what's in the charts at the moment and have a look at the website and be familiar with new things the company are doing like the Pure card (don't know if that is just Uk though)

Bottom line is be enthusiastic and stress how much you love people, helping people and working in a team and under pressure.

Oh and dress appropriately for the interview. No runners or jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Thanks for the helpful replies. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

A guy I worked with in HMV years ago had to answer a music quiz questionnaire when he applied for a job in the UK. One of the questions was to name three Bob Dylan albums. Not being a Dylan fan, he wrote down Greatest Hits, Greatest Hits Volume Two and Greatest Hits Volume Three, which - while a bit smartass - was a legitimate answer.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

A guy I worked with in HMV years ago had to answer a music quiz questionnaire when he applied for a job in the UK. One of the questions was to name three Bob Dylan albums. Not being a Dylan fan, he wrote down Greatest Hits, Greatest Hits Volume Two and Greatest Hits Volume Three, which - while a bit smartass - was a legitimate answer.

Speaking of being a smartass, I too had to fill out one of those questionaires. One of the questions was "What is the name of the main charatcter in Metal Gear Solid?"

I put down "David."

Probably the nerdiest thing I have ever done.

Getting back on topic though just focus on;

1. Customer Service
    2. Product Knowledge and the ability to recommend a related item for a customer to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I've had an interview with them before. It was grand, just like any other interview. They asked about my musical interests. I said I was a metal-head, but was willing to listen to most things from rap/R+B(eminem) to jazz(miles Davis, Coultrane). And they asked whether I was much of a gamer. I said I was, but my mind went blank for most of them so was only able to mention a couple of them. Didn't get the job in the end.

Basic interview etiquette applies. Smile, be polite and smartly dressed. Try and offer up information even if they don't ask about but relates to the current topic.

Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

I had the interview. Hopefully I'll get some good news back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I used to work there - good laugh. Although it's crap if you get stuck in the Irish music/C&W type sections. That's all they'll let ya play... :pac:

Advertisement