Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House can only get 3mb dsl

• 10-10-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ive been repeatedly told by dsl providers that the max speed i can on dsl for my house is 3mb. How come some other houses can get 7mb lines? Can i get my line upgraded?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Every line has a physical limit, depending on distance from exchange and line quality. There's pretty much nothing you can do to improve it, and nothing you can do to get eircom to improve it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

jor el wrote: »
    Every line has a physical limit, depending on distance from exchange and line quality. There's pretty much nothing you can do to improve it, and nothing you can do to get eircom to improve it either.
    That's precisely the issue most people face when they too are given a limit. How far from the exchange are you and what's your Line Attenuation and SN Margin (a.k.a. SNR or Noise Margin) reading at (expressed in dB)? You'll find them inside your router, usually on a Stats page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Just be lucky you can even get DSL broadband. Many people can't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Perhaps you might have other options available to you (cable BB for example?) I was getting a max 2Mb from copper- but am now on 20Mb from Cable.

Advertisement