Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party to stay in Government

Options
  • 10-10-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

With about 15 minutes to the official results, the expectation is that Green party members will vote to stay in Government.

Despite all the gains the party got from Fianna Fail it seems certain they wont be doing the thing the majority of the country want them to do - pull the plug on one of the most unpopular administrations in the history of the State.

The legacy of the Green party, when they are wiped out at the next election (this probably being the last point at which they could salvage themselves) will be one of a party that supported NAMA (and all that implies) and the corruption and bad politics of Fianna Fail.

They had the chance today to prove they had a moral conscience and that they were willing to be the 'watchdogs' of the coalition. They choose not to take this, and will undoubtedly suffer because of this.

I cant but be disappointed.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

turgon wrote: »
    With about 15 minutes to the official results, the expectation is that Green party members will vote to stay in Government.

Despite all the gains the party got from Fianna Fail it seems certain they wont be doing the thing the majority of the country want them to do - pull the plug on one of the most unpopular administrations in the history of the State.

The legacy of the Green party, when they are wiped out at the next election (this probably being the last point at which they could salvage themselves) will be one of a party that supported NAMA (and all that implies) and the corruption and bad politics of Fianna Fail.

They had the chance today to prove they had a moral conscience and that they were willing to be the 'watchdogs' of the coalition. They choose not to take this, and will undoubtedly suffer because of this.

I cant but be disappointed - and soon be taxed more to pay off NAMA for the next 20+ years.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

I cant but be disappointed.

Snap.
    What a wasted opportuinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bit premature tugron, at least wait til the official results are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

@brianthebard: I know, but all indications are going that way. RTE reporter said PfG would be passed "comfortably" and that the NAMA vote would split 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I would be shocked if they voted to leave, if nothing else is clear it's that they want to hold on to every little last bit of power they can.

However, I can understand where they're coming from, the damage that has been done will take years to fix, if ever? Could the Greens do the same as the PD's should they lose power?

I could be totally wrong and they could vote to leave, however I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just been confirmed on RTE Radio 1. They're staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

They voted to stay in government 4:1 and voted down the rejection of NAMA 2:1. The cowards, hope the burn into oblivion the next election. PD's all over again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Daysha wrote: »
    Just been confirmed on RTE Radio 1. They're staying put.
    So JOD gets the boot to the backbenches and get still paid a few euro's less than what he's getting already + expenses still.

** sigh **

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Phew :)

Great news.

*Dons fire-proof armour*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Confirmed on RTÉ1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

news flash

greens to stay in govt
    greens to back nama

brian dobson to have mor information in the news at 9;01

hardly surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

No seats for that shower of cowardly bastards next time out so....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What a gutless bunch.

Will never ever vote Green in my life after this.

They are now as bad as the other bunch as far as i am concerned.

A sad day for the country and a sad day for Politics, money and power is
    all that matter to these guys, they don't have an ounce of character or morality.

Disgusted.

DubTony wrote: »
    No seats for that shower of cowardly bastards next time out so....
    Nope.

I assume they have also agreed the budget also?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1010/breaking2.htm

84% in favour of PfG
    68% in favour of NAMA!!!!

84% in favour of PfG
    Talk about saving your own skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here's the new green party logo :D

spineless.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can the last to leave the country please turn out the lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

84% in favour of PfG

Big figures for PFG. Surprised at this.

Surprised at how close the NAMA vote is. I wonder what it would have been if the vote was to accept NAMA rather than reject it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Probably the right move; the last thing the country needs right now is a general election. FF and it's coalition are pretty crap but could the FG side do any better ? I really don't think so. Labour maybe, but that's not going to happen, is it?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Probably the right move; the last thing the country needs right now is a general election. FF and it's coalition are pretty crap but could the FG side do any better ? I really don't think so. Labour maybe, but that's not going to happen, is it?
    It would if the gutless greens did the decent thing.

The country needs change and it needs change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Disgusted but not surprised. What a spineless pathetic bunch.

I give the green candidate a v. high preference in my last ballot - never again!

Time to get the Vaseline out, we're all in for a right shafting!

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It would if the gutless greens did the decent thing.

The country needs change and it needs change now.

Perhaps but FG is not going to provide it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

peasant wrote: »
    Here's the new green party logo :D

spineless.gif

This one's better.

ken-doll-naked.jpg

Why not? Theyre the only party with a remote chance of reducing government spending.

FG and Labour together can bring real change.

How much are supersoakers these days? Think I'll need one at the ready next time FF and now the Greens grace my doorstep.

At least they've been exposed as what they really are.
    Pity it's going to cost us what...about 20-50 billion with NAMA? Depending on how big a ****-up it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

the green party now will have to start writing their obituary and publish it after the next general elecetion

Bond-007 wrote: »
    FG and Labour together can bring real change.

But I thought FG were supposed to be even more right wing than FF?

(Genuine question btw)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

A sad day for the country and a sad day for Politics, money and power is all that matter to these guys, they don't have an ounce of character or morality.

Erm, sounds like your regular politician, to me...

Advertisement