Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3mb broadband

• 10-10-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

is 3mb broadband good enough to host cod matches or even cage matches on cod?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Also depends on the ping and upload, who is the service provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

eircom..

any one else have any advice/help/info.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Sheepy99 wrote: »

Ditch eircom and get a real broadband provider.

Sorry, but eircom really aren't great for Xbox Live. The ping isn't the best it could be, and their upload speed is always crap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

as i said before "ya". i have 3 mb eircom and i can host, rarely get lag or disconnected even with up to 2 laptops going at the same time. for the few times you'll actually get to host anyway it makes little difference. thats on PSN and xbox live.

which broadband company?...upc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 donCORK

which broadband company?...upc?

I'm on exactly the same broadband as yourself and want to ditch it before MW2 comes out. I mostly play at night and my connection is terrible, 2bars etc and poor connection means poor hit detection. I'm probably going to opt for Irish broadband as it offers a massive 4mb upload compared to the rubbish 300kbps eircom is offering.

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Ditch eircom and get a real broadband provider.

Sorry, but eircom really aren't great for Xbox Live. The ping isn't the best it could be, and their upload speed is always crap...

eircom have the best ping of the DSL providers, upload speed is fine too, maybe you have the 7mb line,that can be buggy, the 3m line, connected properly, would work perfect for xbox live

I have the 3mb one, the problem I have with IBB is when it rain's it wont let me connect to live.
    I've contacted customer service but they could not do anything.
    I've tested it too and worked out it can only be the ping.
    Pain in the arse considering how often it rains here.

• Advertisement

So you wouldn't recommend Irish Broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

donCORK wrote: »
    So you wouldn't recommend Irish Broadband?

I had Irish broadband for a while, they are a joke, only got dial up speeds a lot of the time! Was supposed to be on 3mb up & down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

mukki wrote: »
    eircom have the best ping of the DSL providers, upload speed is fine too, maybe you have the 7mb line,that can be buggy, the 3m line, connected properly, would work perfect for xbox live

Not true , when eircom upgraded the exchange near me i went from 3 meg to 7 meg and my ping went from 40ms to 120 ms, as usual they didnt do the upgrade properly , and i had to go back down to 3 meg to get my ping back under 50

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You physical location in Ireland will probably have more of a bearing on if the broadband package you have will work for Xbox Live or not, assuming it's not satellite that you have.

Unless your specific connection to the exchange or whoever is bad then it's OK, one provider or another won't make a huge difference as all the adsl ones at least are basically the exact same thing, only difference being the price really.

I dont know what's with Irish broadband.
    Couple of year's ago I got the 2mb and never had a problem.
    Got rid of it and last year I got the 3mb breeze. Its only since then i've had the problem's. It was the same house too.
    Also there after sales and customer service is crap.
    I would not recommend them because of this bad service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

For hosting on cod4 it depends on your upload and the stability of your connection (on ps3 anyway) i can host grand with 3mb down and 500kbps upload, but as soon as anyone else in the house uses the broadband for youtube etc it ends the game because it makes the connection unstable :( really annoying :mad:

think i might just get 3mb eircom...ive asked round..seems to be good enough ... need to sort out the crappy connection before MW2:)

think i might just get 3mb eircom...ive asked round..seems to be good enough ... need to sort out the crappy connection before MW2:)

I have the Eircom 3mb package at home and it's rubbish for playing COD4 at night as you're usually on American servers and have to deal with 2 bar connections, frustrating as hell when you empty a clip in someone and nothing happens and then they take you out easily as they would have a better connection to the host or they are the host themselves, not so much trouble during the day when it's mainly British or European servers your on. I've decided to change to Chorus/NTL as the offer 1.5mb upload compared to Eircom's 300kbps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

donCORK wrote: »
    I have the Eircom 3mb package at home and it's rubbish for playing COD4 at night as you're usually on American servers and have to deal with 2 bar connections, frustrating as hell when you empty a clip in someone and nothing happens and then they take you out easily as they would have a better connection to the host or they are the host themselves, not so much trouble during the day when it's mainly British or European servers your on. I've decided to change to Chorus/NTL as the offer 1.5mb upload compared to Eircom's 300kbps.

That is nothing to do with the eircom connection that you have causing you to become connected to games full of Americans, that is purely because of the time of day. Also the speed problems that your having in the evenings are likely to be the same on any domestic provider. It is possible that your eircom exchange is a bit too close to it's capacity, if everyone on your street has NTL already though then you'll likely just have the same problem with them.

Also the difference between 1.5mb and 300kb is pretty irrelevant for the gaming as there is very little data transferred. It's all about the ping times and who if anyone else is using your connection at the same time.

i see..

• Advertisement

ah well wont be on xbox for a while anyway.....my account got hacked...xbox live support said it will take WEEKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

i use the 02 broadband dongle for xbox live i can even host games even tho its better if i dont.as i am typing now my mate is playing cod4 so and i can sure away

Advertisement