Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lancer v C4,Bravo,Astra

• 10-10-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Any one have any thoughts on the new shape Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 petrol? Reckon I can get an 08 model for c. 13,000. Decent spec, should be hassle free. Not the most exciting drive in the world tho, anyone know about economy or depreciation?

Also could get an 08 bravo or a C4, Focus or Astra coupe for similar money. All decent looking cars but I know the C4 and Opel are (to be) replaced. That be much of a factor when i go to change in 2 or 3 years?

Any ideas, comments etc welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

To be honest i'd chose the Focus-but it would have to be at least Zetec spec and diesel to maximise resale. Any 08 petrols would be hard to shift. The Astra's are very nice cars too but lose value too quickly. Sport hatch is the only one worth buying. The 1.3 diesel is a great yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Cheers. I can get the Lancer for 12,750. About 20,000 miles, old tax. Tempting. I like the idea of something flasher and more fun (like an Alfa) but don't have the bottle for something that could be troublesome (and would have to be older). Equally Foci and Golfs are a bit common (I know the Lancers dull but its not common).

One thing is petrol engine, alot of comments here in various posts seem very pro diesel at this stage (I do c. 15k miles a year, mix of motorway and N roads, little town driving)-anyone able to explain a bit more?

If you are keeping the car a few years and doing 15k miles a year then diesel is well worth considering. Most cars in that class fall into the €156 a year road tax bracket. Have a look at a Kia Ceed maybe too - better car than the Lancer for similar money. As for the Alfa, there is no reason why a decent 2-3 year old 147 or something wont last if well looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

out of the choice you have posted OP, then for me it has to be the astra....

and as stated, if you can get a diesel, which there are loads of them about, then thats the one to pick...
    great motors them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

EPM wrote: »
    The 1.3 diesel is a great yoke

That motor is too weak in a Fiat 500, I'd hate to try and haul an Astra around with it.

• Advertisement

It's not that bad. It's the 90 brake version in the Astra but you need to keep it on song. Nothing there off boost but it moves suprisingly well when it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The Bravo isn't the best in it's class, but it is the best looking. And still a fine car. I'd nearly go for that. Although thanks to narrowminded Irish buyers, it'll be harder to sell on. Although maybe no more difficult than a C4. There's the 1.4 tjet petrol in the Bravo that's decent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Zube wrote: »
    That motor is too weak in a Fiat 500, I'd hate to try and haul an Astra around with it.

Same engine in the opel combo and there a great work horse we've 12 of them on our fleet and never get a days bother out of them a bit thirsty on the oil at new but after that magic we've had them the guts of 3 years now!

Advertisement