Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metering mode for walk-about?

• 10-10-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what metering mode you guys use most - do you consider metering mode before taking each shot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Walkabout I use evaluative, everything else get centre weighted average except for the odd spot metering moment

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Something I learned last week at a beginners course in my local camera club - grass in Ireland is 80% grey! Apparently as far as the camera is concerned it's like using grey card, so meter off the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Assuming by walk about you mean just shooting from the hip - of the moment - sort of stuff then multi segment /scene metering. Frequently it will get it wrong which is where RAW may help. Walk about planned shooting ie. you see the scene and then wait for something to happen, you might go center or spot if the something to happen is very specific and you know it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Over the past year I've had my camera on spot metering for 95% of my shots. There's just something about spot that I love!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I wish I knew what mode it is :o The one that measures the whole scene. And I have my thumb one the wheel that sets the exposure correction. So I see the scene in the viewfinder and correct the measured scene according to my needs and blindness. And the colour of the grass helps, because it hardly affects the exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'm with Thonda on this, If I'm using my F100 then evaluative/matrix or whatever your brand of choice refers to it as. I shoot mostly aperture priority, but I shoot nikon so the aperture is set on the lens, and I have exposure compensation under my thumb. Occasionally spot if I'm doing portrait because I can tie the metering to the AF point.
    If I'm shooting my FE2 then CW cos thats all its got.
    If I'm shooting with the bronica then none at all :-)

Advertisement