Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we being screwed for Chinese takeaways? [It seems I'm really wrong! Hooray!]

• 10-10-2009 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Here's one for the investigators of the Waterford City forum..

I'm looking at Chinese food menus here that were delivered in the letterbox of my in-laws house in Dublin. Its just dawned on me that we may well be getting done in Waterford for Chinese food!

Lets compare one example.. Chicken with Green peppers in black bean sauce.. €7.90 (Includes chips or boiled rice, fried rice 50c extra).

Why am I paying close to a tenner in my usual spots in Waterford for something that costs €2 less in the capital city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

theres a lot more stray dogs and cats to be had in the capital,,supply is greater than demand unlike down here they can charge full whack for them :)only joking,that price seems the same as my local chinese,,its just the cost of delivery ups the price to over a tenner sometimes if your only ordering for 1

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dunno what chinese takeaway that you use, but I have the Jade Palace's menu here in front of me and I would regard there dearer than say Jumbos in Ballybricken, but it is alot nicer.

Say Chicken with green peppers only because you mentioned it, that dish including Fried rice,or Boiled Rice or chips is €8.00, Breast of Chicken Curry €8.00, Sliced Beef Curry €9.00, Sweet &Sour Chicken €8.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Dunno what chinese takeaway that you use, but I have the Jade Palace's menu here in front of me and I would regard there dearer than say Jumbos in Ballybricken, but it is alot nicer.

Say Chicken with green peppers only because you mentioned it, that dish including Fried rice,or Boiled Rice or chips is €8.00, Breast of Chicken Curry €8.00, Sliced Beef Curry €9.00, Sweet &Sour Chicken €8.00

Noted.. I need to move to a new Chinese at the weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Hedone

wat u on about boy ?

i have a menu here from happy gardens near city square - chicken with green pepper in black bean sauce is 7.70 (boiled rice or chips included)

looks like dublin's more expensive...:rolleyes::p

The Dublin price includes free delivery it seems.

Im so delighted to be wrong though.. I dont normally get Chinese food from the places mentioned above, and its great to know I have a good reason now not to steam my own vegetables make dinner for myself!.. EVER :D

Has anyone a menu for the Fan Dynasty or Yuen Thai handy? I'm curious to know how much the Chicken & Green Pepper is in those places. I'm pretty sure it was those that gave me the fright before on prices, but I may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

silver star buys the unsold chicken from cleaboy chipper every night and sells it on as their own. Dont bother me but i can see why it would bother others. Lots of places probably do that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Trotter wrote: »

Im so delighted to be wrong though.. I dont normally get Chinese food from the places mentioned above, and its great to know I have a good reason now not to steam my own vegetables make dinner for myself!.. EVER :D

Has anyone a menu for the Fan Dynasty or Yuen Thai handy? I'm curious to know how much the Chicken & Green Pepper is in those places. I'm pretty sure it was those that gave me the fright before on prices, but I may be wrong.

Yuen Thai i'd say it was, your probably talking around a 10er for said dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have never seen a Chineese in Dublin that didn't have a delivery charge
    It's usually starts at 1.30 upwards.

Thinking of the several places I've dealt with they all charged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

ok so chicken and black bean sauce

maxim house = €7 f/rice 30c extra
    kongs = €9.20 f/r 50c
    yuen thai €9.50 f/r €1.20
    jumbo = €6.80 i think you've to rice as an extra so thats f/r €2.60

the kambo do a great value sunday lunch for €16. 3 courses with a large menu to choose from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Fan Dynasty:

Chicken, green peppers and Black Bean sauce €8.80 fried rice 70c extra
    Chicken with either Orange, Lemon or Plum Sauce €9.30 fried rice 70c extra

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    Have never seen a Chineese in Dublin that didn't have a delivery charge
    It's usually starts at 1.30 upwards.

Thinking of the several places I've dealt with they all charged!

I dont know about delivery in general, just this one was free for the general area.

Seems the aim of the game for takeaways is to shop around. Funny that the Dunmore road ones seem to be a little bit more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

op... you are actually trying to base whether all the chinenese takeaways in waterford are screwing us on price, based on one item from one menu in Dublin....

ROFL...... thats commical....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ocos

I think the problem of different prices in Waterford is prob down to the rent places have to pay

Robtri I lived in Dublin for a long time and I spend a lot of time there still. The menu I was looking at made me think of posting here. In general I don't pay more than 8 euro for a takeaway in Dublin. I'm taking more than one place into account. So not that comical really. Its strange that the takeaways along one long road are more expensive it seems. Maybe the rent is an explanation for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd like a breast of chicken curry, off the bone, with chips, please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

Robtri I lived in Dublin for a long time and I spend a lot of time there still. The menu I was looking at made me think of posting here. In general I don't pay more than 8 euro for a takeaway in Dublin. I'm taking more than one place into account. So not that comical really. Its strange that the takeaways along one long road are more expensive it seems. Maybe the rent is an explanation for that.

I agree, there seems to be a ridiculous amount of competition between the chinese takeaways in dublin at the moment which is prob why prices are cheaper. we must get at least 8 menus a week in our letterbox for different places that have new deals or revised (cheaper) menus...have a whole drawer full of them at this stage so can always get a chinese main course with rice for less than €8.

The local companies will deliver for free but if they are more than 5 mins drive away they charge about €1.50-€2.

Advertisement