Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams for President

Options
  • 10-10-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Does anyone think Gerry Adams would be a good President? I think at difficult times like this we need a strong President, a patriotic one at that. Would you vote for him?
    I think it would be interesting to see him as President of Ireland.
    What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I think he would be better than Bertie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Dustin the Turkey would be better than either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Does anyone think Gerry Adams would be a good President? I think at difficult times like this we need a strong President, a patriotic one at that. Would you vote for him?
    I think it would be interesting to see him as President of Ireland.
    What do you guys think?
    I think you must have a different understanding of democratic to me. This is a guy who spent most of his life refusing to recognize this state, indeed actively trying to subvert it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

I'm not sure but I think he would be popular with many voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

A strong president? Our president is pretty much a figurehead and has no real political power so having a strong president is a moot point. We could have Mr Tayto as president and it would make no difference to us as a nation as all our president does is shake hands and wave at people.

OK I am sure there is a little more to it but the president lacks the power of an taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

mega man wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I think he would be popular with many voters.
    He is popular but when it comes to a down and dirty political campaign there is more than enough skeletons in his cupboard to scupper him before he gets going..... Fortunately! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Listening to Dara Ó Bríain now on Comedy Central and he is absolutely legend. The funniest, most energetic and most poetic comedian alive today.

In a recession, he is just the medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

I think at difficult times like this we need a strong President, a patriotic one at that.

If those are the criteria, why are you suggesting Gerry Adams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Saruman wrote: »
    OK I am sure there is a little more to it but the president lacks the power of an taoiseach.

Yes, lets give the President the power of An Taoiseach. Then we can have two Taoiseachs. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

is this the "If at first you do not succeed then try again" thread ;)

Anyway yes i think gerry adams would make a great president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

I assume this is a random joke to an illicit a funny response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The president has basically a large responsibility to not put their foot in their mouth on the NI issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Why we would want a politician from another state as our president ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If thats what it takes to get Gerry to step down as Sinn Féin leader then it would be worth it.

Because Sinn Féin desperately need new people at the head of the party.

Maybe we should consider moving to the American democratic model.
    Mind you I do not think Gerry would be the guy for the job then (That would be too much power to give to Gerry Adams)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Liam Byrne wrote: »

to continue the tradition of the last 12 years I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Gerry Adams or Bertie Ahern. Bertie Ahern certainly wouldn't get my vote.

Absurdum wrote: »
    to continue the tradition of the last 12 years I suppose

I thought McAleese was - formerly - a lawyer, not a politician ?

Is that he lives in another state/Born in another state or is residing in another state. i guess this is heaing towards more crap again

I ask because if its good enough for dana who was born in london and her only claim to fame is the eurovision and the catholic voice singing than why not gerry adams

Gerry Adams granted has been tied in with armed conflict in ireland for the last 30 years but who that served as president has not. You will find more have!

Unfortunitly we will never have another mary robinson but if it were me personally I would rather see Gerry adams meeting Robert Mugabi and telling him what he thinks or nelson mandela as adams knows equally as much about his struggle than the "Wee women"

Gerry adams holds an Irish passport. He has more of a right than anyone for the job imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭GSF

Adams will never be president. Issues such as his responses to Jerry McCabe's murder for starters would derail his campaign from day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Doubt if the barman would be elected.

Certainly wouldn't get my vote.

Have a bit of a regard for the man himself, it's the camp followers I would be concerned about.

• Advertisement

Is that he lives in another state/Born in another state or is residing in another state. i guess this is heaing towards more crap again

No. It's not heading towards crap; it's the fact that he has been a politician in another state and in that capacity does not even recognise this state / want it to exist.

How can a "head of state" be against that very state's existence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭GSF

Stranger things have happened. Like the Minister for Finance not having a bank account. Ahern vs Adams would certainly offer an opportunity for an ethics candidate to come through and clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

drkpower wrote: »
    Then we can have two Taoiseachs Taoisigh.

I don't think Gerry Adams would have a hope of becoming President. I hope people do not forget the damage or lack of progress Berties brought to our country either.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭The Valley

anybody that thinks gerry adams /sinn fein/IRA should be president has to be bonkers/insane/nuts

Anybody that thinks Bertie should be president deserves this cock of a goverment and all the negative equity/nama/expense issues that come with it

Dana/Dunphy would be better, or why not Micheal o'Leary

No. It's not heading towards crap; it's the fact that he has been a politician in another state and in that capacity does not even recognise this state / want it to exist.

You mean his objection to the "Free state" not unlike develara's objection imo and look what he achieved. ;)

Like above stranger things have happened

Still heading towards more crap imo!

The Valley wrote: »
    anybody that thinks gerry adams /sinn fein/IRA should be president has to be bonkers/insane/nuts

Anybody that thinks Bertie should be president deserves this cock of a goverment and all the negative equity/nama/expense issues that come with it

Dana/Dunphy would be better, or why not Micheal o'Leary

There is the "Heading towards more crap" I was talking about! It seems it never ended with the good friday agreement. Perhaps when we all are dead and gone the next generation can look back and laugh at how childish we are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Straightforward views straightforwardly expressed, not a lot wrong with that surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With that accent?

mike65 wrote: »
    With that accent?

Ladies and gents I give you... Mary Mac.... Case closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

This threas is a wind-up, right?

Advertisement