Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams for President

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

joolsveer wrote: »
    I think he would be better than Bertie.
    I'm not so sure:D
    Adams would like to see himself as a leader more than a politician. Ahern is not suited to the presidency, can you imagine more 'suicide' comments, like the time he told people questioning the economic direction of the country to go off and commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

imme wrote: »
    I'm not so sure:D
    Adams would like to see himself as a leader more than a politician. Ahern is not suited to the presidency, can you imagine more 'suicide' comments, like the time he told people questioning the economic direction of the country to go off and commit suicide.
    What a funny old world we live in. Ahern is still getting flak from a stupid comment from a couple of years back where he suggested (with no sincerity) that people should kill themselves.
    But we have to difficulty with the leader of a movement who for 30 years .... well you see where I am going with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I would personally do a Lee Harvey Oswald on him if he ever got in!
    might take me a few years to learn to shoot first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

punchdrunk wrote: »
    I would personally do a Lee Harvey Oswald on him if he ever got in!
    might take me a few years to learn to shoot first :D
    on your own or would you need a hand:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭skooterblue

I really think you need to have a legal background with a fairly inoffencive background. I dont think Gerry Adams fits that profile. Do you think he would be as welcome down the shankill road as Mary Mac Aleese was? I think hw would be a very divisive president

• Advertisement

lugha wrote: »
    What a funny old world we live in. Ahern is still getting flak from a stupid comment from a couple of years back where he suggested (with no sincerity) that people should kill themselves.
    But we have to difficulty with the leader of a movement who for 30 years .... well you see where I am going with this!
    It was a flippant comment by Ahern, but is indicative of the man. The president speaks rarely on public issues. Therefore the president should be able to speak succinctly and clearly. When Bertie used to speak in the Dail for 10 or 20 minutes I was left scratching my head afterwards trying to figure out what the hell he'd just said. The guy is unintelligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Does anyone think Gerry Adams would be a good President?

Yes. But thankfully not nearly enough people to get him elected.
    I think at difficult times like this we need a strong President, a patriotic one at that.
    Well that rules Adams out.
    Would you vote for him?
    No
    I think it would be interesting to see him as President of Ireland.
    Interesting, but better left as a thought experiment.
    What do you guys think?
    See above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I would not vote for Adams or Bertie. One is a gangster (allegedly) and the other a ?

It was a flippant comment by Ahern, but is indicative of the man.
    OT but I don't think it was indicative of anything other the fact that everyone is likely to say silly/stupid things from time to time but politicians have their every utterance recorded. Was it any sillier than Kenny's "Some n*** who died in the war" or Bruton's "f***ing peace process" or Reynold's "that's women now". It only stood out because of Bertie's teflon reputation when the pickings for his enemies were thin for much of his career.

The president speaks rarely on public issues. Therefore the president should be able to speak succinctly and clearly. When Bertie used to speak in the Dail for 10 or 20 minutes I was left scratching my head afterwards trying to figure out what the hell he'd just said. The guy is unintelligible.
    I wouldn't be to sure that his lack of clarity was entirely inadvertent. ;)

OT but I don't think it was indicative of anything other the fact that everyone is likely to say silly/stupid things from time to time but politicians have their every utterance recorded. Was it any sillier than Kenny's "Some n*** who died in the war" or Bruton's "f***ing peace process" or Reynold's "that's women now". It only stood out because of Bertie's teflon reputation when the pickings for his enemies were thin for much of his career.

I wouldn't be to sure that his lack of clarity was entirely inadvertent. ;)
    I'm not familiar with Kenny's comment, what was it about? Bruton was new to the job of Taoiseach at the time. Bertie was at the end of his tenure, relatively. I think people ascribe 'smarts' to Bertie. I think he's lucky more than anything, and a holder of the quintessential Fianna Fail brass neck, and 'feck the rest of yis' mentality. Did Albert Reynolds not say: "that's women for ye", that's how I quote it anyway. I'm sure to say that a few times a year. I loves Albert.:D

• Advertisement

I'm not familiar with Kenny's comment, what was it about?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/sep/15/world.race

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I'm not familiar with Kenny's comment,
    And some people think this moron is fit to be Taoiseach

blinding wrote: »
    And some people think this moron is fit to be Taoiseach
    Fit or not he almost certainly is going to be. Just as Bertie is almost certainly going to be president. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Do you have to be Irish to be president of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

He'd have my vote.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Why we would want a politician from another state as our president ?

Where is Mary McAleese from Liam?
    How can a "head of state" be against that very state's existence ?

He's not against the state's existence, he is against the partition of Ireland and as a consequence of that fact - would like to see north and south of the country unified, desolving both states (As do the majority of the people). The fact that 4 TD's from Sinn Féin sit in An Dáil proves it.

Fit or not he almost certainly is going to be. Just as Bertie is almost certainly going to be president. :D

say it ain't so.:(
    Is there anyone else that Northern Ireland might throw up, as opposed to Adams. Would John Bruton run, his term in US would be up by then.

dlofnep wrote: »
    He'd have my vote.

He's not against the state's existence, he is against the partition of Ireland and as a consequence of that fact - would like to see north and south of the country unified, desolving both states (As do the majority of the people). The fact that 4 TD's from Sinn Féin sit in An Dáil proves it.
    things change, Sinn Fein members were elected to the British parliament, but they chose to take the money, office-space etc, but not to sit in the chamber. They've taken the Queen's shilling alright.

say it ain't so.:(
    Is there anyone else that Northern Ireland might throw up, as opposed to Adams. Would John Bruton run, his term in US would be up by then.
    I think any FG candidate would struggle. There is a sizable FF cohort who simply would not vote for any Fine Galer.

Personally I'd fancy (not literally!) David Norris.

things change, Sinn Fein members were elected to the British parliament, but they chose to take the money, office-space etc, but not to sit in the chamber. They've taken the Queen's shilling alright.

They earn their money by working on behalf of their constituents. Nothing to do with the "Queen's shilling" - It's paid by the tax payers of Britain and the north of Ireland, and given that SF are the largest nationalist party in the North, and work on behalf of 100,000's of people - then why shouldn't they receive their cut of tax like other politicians? It should also be noted, that unlike any other party on this island that I am aware of, SF politicians earn only an average industrial wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

PaddyPower have him at 28/1 (along with Charlie McCreevy). Personally, I think these are good odds. I can't imagine any circumstances where he would win the presidency.

Worryingly, Bertie is in second place at 4/1.

• Advertisement

He's not against the state's existence, he is against the partition of Ireland and as a consequence of that fact - would like to see north and south of the country unified, desolving both states (As do the majority of the people).
    It is not that long ago when Adams was referring to the Irish Republic as the 26 counties, and some Shinners still do. This is / was an explicit statement that he does not recognize the republic.
    As for what the majority want, when push comes to shove and the see what such folly would cost, I think they might reconsider!

The fact that 4 TD's from Sinn Féin sit in An Dáil proves it.
    4 TDs out of 166. That proves what exactly? :confused:

SF politicians earn only an average industrial wage.
    They must be wizards at handling their money! Average industrial wage and yet some of them manage to keep holiday homes in Donegal.
    If the British tax payers are paying Adams political (!) wages then perhaps he should consider being head of state of Britain. QE II won't be around for much longer ..... Queen Gerry has a nice ring to it don't you think? :p

And speaking of QE II, it is quite plausible that said Queen will come visit us during the reign of the next president. Wouldn't that be a turnip of Gerry had to meet and greet her?

It is not that long ago when Adams was referring to the Irish Republic as the 26 counties, and some Shinners still do. This is / was an explicit statement that he does not recognize the republic.

So what if he refers to it as the 26 counties? It's an alternative means to highlight the partition of the Island.

Secondly - There is no such country called the "Irish Republic", or "The Republic of Ireland". If you want to get pedantic about names, I can too.
    As for what the majority want, when push comes to shove and the see what such folly would cost, I think they might reconsider!

It's a moot point - the point is, that Gerry like the majority of the Irish people aspire for Irish unification. He shouldn't be chastised for it, anymore than any Joe Soap on the street should aspires for it too.
    4 TDs out of 166. That proves what exactly? :confused:

Proves that they recognise the existence of the state by virtue of participation in it's parlimentary body. Did you actually read what the comment was in response to?

They must be wizards at handling their money! Average industrial wage and yet some of them manage to keep holiday homes in Donegal.

I'll entertain your debate. Tell me exactly which have a holiday home in Donegal, and I'll be more than happy to explain why some politicians - who earn an average Industrial wage - have the ability to afford it. It might not be anything to do with the fact than some, like Gerry Adams are published writers for 30 years - and have sold 1000's of books around the world, now would it?

The fact remains - SF politicians earn an average Industrial wage for their duties. This is a fact and cannot be disputed.
    Queen Gerry has a nice ring to it don't you think? :p

No, it doesn't. And your argument is in the gutter at this stage. Try bait elsewhere.

So what if he refers to it as the 26 counties? It's an alternative means to highlight the partition of the Island.

Secondly - There is no such country called the "Irish Republic", or "The Republic of Ireland". If you want to get pedantic about names, I can too.
    It is not a pedantic point. I don't care what name Adams and his crew use to refer to this state provided he recognizes it and that its legitimate government is selected by the Dail and not a bunch of subversives in South Armagh. Anyone familiar with Shinner speak knows full well that terms like "the 26 counties" as well as the "the six counties" are used precisely to convey their view that they do not recognize either as legitimate political entities. I sometime refer to Northern Ireland as "the North" but that is just being lazy / careless. I do accept that Britain are for the moment, the legitimate rulers. Referring to Northern Ireland as the six counties has a clear underlying political implication, as I suspect well you know.

As for your argument about SF reps receiving average industrial wage, well such a principle stance is slightly undermined don't you think, if they are willing to boast their income by shall we say, "other streams of income". ;)

It is not a pedantic point. I don't care what name Adams and his crew use to refer to this state provided he recognizes it and that its legitimate government is selected by the Dail and not a bunch of subversives in South Armagh.

And I have already addressed this, but you still refuse to accept it - that 4 members of An Dáil are Sinn Féin TD's. Surely, wouldn't they abstain from even sitting in the Dáil if they didn't recognise it?
    I sometime refer to Northern Ireland as "the North" but that is just being lazy / careless. I do accept that Britain are for the moment, the legitimate rulers. Referring to Northern Ireland as the six counties has a clear underlying political implication, as I suspect well you know.

So what? Of course it has political implications - It is a political statement that they aspire for the partition of the Island to end. Given that they are active in both Stormont and An Dáil, along with the cataylst for the GFA - IS this not proof enough that they are willing to engage within both states? It doesn't change their goals of Irish unification - A Goal that is shared by all major political parties in the south may I add.
    As for your argument about SF reps receiving average industrial wage, well such a principle stance is slightly undermined don't you think, if they are willing to boast their income by shall we say, "other streams of income". ;)

Which I have already addressed - Many are accomplished authors, and if they want to earn extra income by legitimate means of writing books and such, then what's the problem? Many politicians do this - from Bill Clinton to Nelson Mandela. Your attempt to discredit a legitimate means of income of writing books by quoting it, is weak, and does nothing to strengthen your argurment to be honest. I've seen this same rhetoric before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Why we would want a politician from another state as our president ?

On that basis, presumably you would question having a lawyer/academic from another state as our president? Impeach Mary McAleese.

And I have already addressed this, but you still refuse to accept it - that 4 members of An Dáil are Sinn Féin TD's. Surely, wouldn't they abstain from even sitting in the Dáil if they didn't recognise it?
    Sinn Fein contested Westminster elections (even if they did not take the seats) and of course local elections where they did. Should anybody infer from this that they recognize Britain’s right to rule NI? Of course not. Taking seats in the Dail is a step in the right direction does not go far enough in terms of SF fully recognizing this state. When you have a high profile SF member like Toireasa Ferris (and others) who is unable to condemn the execution of a defender of this state and can escape sanction from the party leader, then that tells me that said leader is not fully loyal to the state and as such is not suitable to be president.
    So what? Of course it has political implications - It is a political statement that they aspire for the partition of the Island to end
    Referring to this state as "the 26 counties" is a clear statement that you do not recognize the state. Simple as.
    Your attempt to discredit a legitimate means of income of writing books by quoting it, is weak, and does nothing to strengthen your argurment to be honest. I've seen this same rhetoric before.
    I though that by putting "streams of income" in inverted commas you might have twigged that it wasn't Gerry's writings I was referring to. :rolleyes:

Referring to this state as "the 26 counties" is a clear statement that you do not recognize the state. Simple as.

No it's not, and it's not "simple as". It's a phrase used to highlight the partition of the country. I often use the term "26 counties", but I vote in all our elections. How could SF endorse the Good Friday Agreement if they didn't accept that the partition of the country was a reality (not changing the aspiration for unification)?

The reality is, they couldn't. So your argument is dead in the water.
    I though that by putting "streams of income" in inverted commas you might have twigged that it wasn't Gerry's writings I was referring to. :rolleyes:

Well, demonstrate where these other streams of income for an elected SF representitive are coming from then, instead of trying to create hysteria.

I'll wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

axer wrote: »
    Then we can have two Taoiseachs Taoisigh.

Oh lordie, the grammar-Nazis are out again!!
    But you've chosen a poor example to get exercised about. Taoiseachs would be considered to be an acceptable form of the plural of Taoiseach.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/taoiseach

Advertisement