Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams for President

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Why we would want a politician from another state as our president ?
    Gerry Adams is the head of Sinn Féin, who exist as a legitimate political party in the Republic and the North. He is a politician in both states.

Or is your point that he's from the north? If so, what difference should that make, in your opinion?

Your other point, about how could Ireland have a 'head of state' that does not recognise that state, is also moot, since Adams clearly recognises the states on this island, as evidenced by the current political process.

EDIT: dlofnep beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

DoireNod wrote: »
    Your other point, about how could Ireland have a 'head of state' that does not recognise that state, is also moot, since Adams clearly recognises the states on this island, as evidenced by the current political process.

EDIT: dlofnep beat me to it!
    Well dlofnep didn't give a satisfactory explanation why Adams as SF leader does not censor those within his party who refer to the state as the 26 counties or who decline to condemn the murder of the defenders of the state. So you can have a crack at that one if you want? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

lugha wrote: »
    Well dlofnep didn't give a satisfactory explanation why Adams as SF leader does not censor those within his party who refer to the state as the 26 counties or who decline to condemn the murder of the defenders of the state. So you can have a crack at that one if you want? ;)

Censor? I've already explained quite categorically that the term 26 counties is a term used to highlight the partition of this island. It has absolutely nothing to do with accepting that for now, two states exist - with SF operating and supporting each institution. Let's not forget - you are against the idea of Irish Unity, I am for it. It therefore makes sense to see the partition of the country as a temporary measure, while you wish to see it as a permanent measure. That's the difference, and the real issue on why we are colliding on the topic.

If SF did not support the institutions, then they would not have supported the GFA. Not to mention policing in the north, which they supported despite knowing that they would lose votes because of it.

As for Jerry McCabe - It's a regrettable loss, and I think it's a valid point to bring up the issue. Gerry Adams stated that it was reprehensible - he is under no illusions that it was wrong, and obviously wishes that it never happened. If you have an issue with Toiréasa's lack of condemnation about the issue - why don't you get in contact with her and find out exactly why. She's only a phone-call or an e-mail away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Why we would want a politician from another state as our president ?

Dunno, ye already have one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,026 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think we should be getting away from the politicians and start looking to persons respected in this country. Honest and genuine people who we can relate to and who
    love the country. Seriously, someone like Ronan Keating would be a great guy to have representing the country. Likable, young and in touch, as well as honest and enthusiastic.
    Too young I think, isn't the age 35 for President?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

walshb wrote: »
    I think we should be getting away from the politicians and start looking to persons respected in this country. Honest and genuine people who we can relate to and who
    love the country. Seriously, someone like Ronan Keating would be a great guy to have representing the country. Likable, young and in touch, as well as honest and enthusiastic.
    Likeable? Really?

walshb wrote: »

Or Brendan O'Carroll, for the craic. Sure isn't he one of the most intelligent people in the world.

What about Daniel O'Donnell? He's liked and in touch with the community, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

PomBear wrote: »
    in politics, he does.

and he warrants the money he earns, unlike many of our FF politicians who seem to take special advantage of their 'political benefits'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5301510/MPs-expenses-Sinn-Fein-claimed-500000-for-second-homes.html
    The five MPs, who represent the political wing of the IRA, have not even taken up their Parliamentary seats and yet they have rented three London properties from the same family at rates well above the market norm.

The party's two best-known figures, Gerry Adams, the party leader, and Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland's deputy first minister, jointly claimed expenses of £3,600 a month to rent a shared two-bedroom flat in north London. A local estate agent, who knows the properties, said a fair monthly rent for the flat would be £1,400.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

lugha wrote:
    Well dlofnep didn't give a satisfactory explanation why Adams as SF leader does not censor those within his party who refer to the state as the 26 counties or who decline to condemn the murder of the defenders of the state. So you can have a crack at that one if you want?

Loads of people say "the south" or "the 26 counties", Saying "Ireland" up here causes confusion because a lot of unionists actually say northern ireland is part of britain. Non-political Protestants often ask me "are you from Ireland?" after hearing my accents.

If he referred to the north as the "occupied counties" on a regular basis I could see your point, but you're just making a silly point to have a petty go at Gerry.

On topic it would be a strange one. His past is obviously quite controversial but he is a very good speaker and is willing to meet the likes of Hamas which I respected him a lot for.

The big downside I'd see is that it would give unionists a legitimate reason to fully turn on the south. The hardline ones already are but I think the moderate logical ones would be very disappointed in us if we voted a high profile sinn fein member in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

He wouldn't be my choice. But I recall meeting some people in America a few years back who had heard of him, and they thought he was our President! :D

Expenses he is entitled to. A key point you are leaving out. They provide the cost of accommodation for when he travels to Britain for political purposes. Would you rather he stayed in Ireland, and stopped working on the peace process altogether? No, you wouldn't.

You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

dlofnep wrote: »
    Expenses he is entitled to. A key point you are leaving out. They provide the cost of accommodation for when he travels to Britain for political purposes. Would you rather he stayed in Ireland, and stopped working on the peace process altogether? No, you wouldn't.

and the flats were shared! Its not like they took the penthouse suite at Claridge's!

dlofnep wrote: »

No, I would rather he either

a) used a hotel
    b) paid a reasonable price for the accomodation
    c) rented it in the open market, not from some Sinn fein lacky.

SF are blatantly exploiting the system for financial gain.

how often is Mr Adams and co in London? he chooses not to represent his constituents in Westminster, so other than the odd meeting why is he there at all?

a) used a hotel
    b) paid a reasonable price for the accomodation
    c) rented it in the open market, not from some Sinn fein lacky.

"Lacky"?

He is entitled to accomodation expenses, and as such receives them - and shares the said accomodation.
    SF are blatantly exploiting the system for financial gain.

No, they are not. They are acquiring accomodation that they are entitled to. They are not exploiting anything.
    how often is Mr Adams and co in London?

Why don't you ask him before passing judgement? You don't know how often he is there - I would assume being the head of SF, quite often. And he is there to discuss many issues, policing, the peace process and so on.

It would be better if Gerry just stayed in Ireland, forgot about the peace process and didn't engage with British politicians - At least then, you'd have something to genuinely complain about instead of nit-picking without one iota of substance behind it on here.

Loads of people say "the south" or "the 26 counties", Saying "Ireland" up here causes confusion because a lot of unionists actually say northern ireland is part of britain.
    I think you will find that pretty much ALL Unionist say NI is part of Britain! ;)
    If he referred to the north as the "occupied counties" on a regular basis I could see your point, but you're just making a silly point to have a petty go at Gerry.
    I suspect you are unfamiliar with Sinn Fein speak. There are a number of phrases and expressions Sinn Fein use (more so in the past than now) which appear to the casual listener to have a pretty benign meaning or no meaning at all. Perhaps the most frequently heard example in the bad old days arose when a Sinn Fein leader were asked if they condemn some IRA atrocity. Their reply invariably was “we condemn all violence” or “all loss if life is regrettable”. To someone who knew no better, that was a perfectly proper and measured response. But we all knew (and republicans in particular knew) that that was code for “no, we do not condemn it”. I challenge you to find a single instance from the troubles where a Sinn Fein representative used the word “condemn” in a specific response to an IRA action (in fairness to Adams, he does now use the term in relation to dissident republican activities although many in the lower ranks of SF including Ms Ferris will not) Do you think they have some aversion to that particular word? Of course not. But everybody understands that if a republican were to condemn a particular republican action then they really do condemn it. And it is something similar with references to “the 26 counties” or “the six counties”. In Sinn Fein speak, these expressions are used, not as alternative labels as one might refer to “the north” or “the south”. They explicitly are used to convey the message that they do not fully recognize either state. If you think this is just pettiness can you explain why you it is difficult to find a Sinn Fein web site that uses the terms “Northern Ireland” and “The Republic of Ireland”. If there are no hidden meaning to these terms why are Sinn Fein so averse to using them? I think some republicans would quite readily admit all of this to you. Perhaps dlofnep is genuinely unaware of all of this but I somehow doubt it. ;)
    And all of this is relevant to the OP question. Anybody who does not fully recognize and give their allegiance to any state has no business seeking to be its head.

I suspect you are unfamiliar with Sinn Fein speak. There are a number of phrases and expressions Sinn Fein use (more so in the past than now) which appear to the casual listener to have a pretty benign meaning or no meaning at all. Perhaps the most frequently heard example in the bad old days arose when a Sinn Fein leader were asked if they condemn some IRA atrocity. Their reply invariably was “we condemn all violence” or “all loss if life is regrettable”. To someone who knew no better, that was a perfectly proper and measured response. But we all knew (and republicans in particular knew) that that was code for “no, we do not condemn it”. I challenge you to find a single instance from the troubles where a Sinn Fein representative used the word “condemn” in a specific response to an IRA action (in fairness to Adams, he does now use the term in relation to dissident republican activities although many in the lower ranks of SF including Ms Ferris will not) Do you think they have some aversion to that particular word? Of course not. But everybody understands that if a republican were to condemn a particular republican action then they really do condemn it. And it is something similar with references to “the 26 counties” or “the six counties”. In Sinn Fein speak, these expressions are used, not as alternative labels as one might refer to “the north” or “the south”. They explicitly are used to convey the message that they do not fully recognize either state. If you think this is just pettiness can you explain why you it is difficult to find a Sinn Fein web site that uses the terms “Northern Ireland” and “The Republic of Ireland”. If there are no hidden meaning to these terms why are Sinn Fein so averse to using them? I think some republicans would quite readily admit all of this to you. Perhaps dlofnep is genuinely unaware of all of this but I somehow doubt it. ;)
    And all of this is relevant to the OP question. Anybody who does not fully recognize and give their allegiance to any state has no business seeking to be its head.
    Sinn Féin speak :rolleyes:

You're inferring what you will.

The SDLP also try to avoid using the terms 'Northern Ireland' and 'Republic of Ireland'. Are they refusing to acknowledge the legitimacy of those states? I suppose if that was the case, they'd be refusing their own legitimacy too.

Sinn Féin speak :rolleyes:
    You're inferring what you will.
    If you are so inclined you are welcome to take up my challenge to find a single instance during the troubles in the North when a Sinn Fein rep specifically condemned an IRA action. Or maybe you could tell us why the delightful Ms Ferris (and the rest of SF) has such trouble using the word in relation to the murder of Garda McCabe. She will say how dreadful and appalling and tragic is was but won't use the C. word. Now what is the big deal if the word has no specific resonance?
    The SDLP also try to avoid using the terms 'Northern Ireland' and 'Republic of Ireland'. Are they refusing to acknowledge the legitimacy of those states? I suppose if that was the case, they'd be refusing their own legitimacy too.
    Once again, I have no difficulty with people being less than exact is how they refer to this state. I use the terms "North" and "South" and even as your pal points out, "Republic of Ireland" is not the official name. But 6 counties and 26 counties have a very clear implied meaning. How and ever, I suspect again like your friend, you are perfectly well aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think you will find that pretty much ALL Unionist say NI is part of Britain! ;)

Its part of the UK and geographically part of the island of Ireland. However due to the fact that their nationality is British, some Unionists say its part of Britain, which is in fact the big island to the right.

I suspect you have never lived here. As I was saying its used by nationalists and unionists to avoid ambiguity. Its not in the same league as "all deaths are regrettable"

If you are so inclined you are welcome to take up my challenge to find a single instance during the troubles in the North when a Sinn Fein rep specifically condemned an IRA action. Or maybe you could tell us why the delightful Ms Ferris (and the rest of SF) has such trouble using the word in relation to the murder of Garda McCabe. She will say how dreadful and appalling and tragic is was but won't use the C. word. Now what is the big deal if the word has no specific resonance?

Once again, I have no difficulty with people being less than exact is how they refer to this state. I use the terms "North" and "South" and even as your pal points out, "Republic of Ireland" is not the official name. But 6 counties and 26 counties have a very clear implied meaning. How and ever, I suspect again like your friend, you are perfectly well aware of this.

You'll see it quite regularly on here, the same lines are trotted out time after time after time on the basis that if you say something enough, it must be the truth. Don't blame them though, it's all part of the brain washing, they don't realise what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Does anyone think Gerry Adams would be a good President? I think at difficult times like this we need a strong President, a patriotic one at that. Would you vote for him? I think it would be interesting to see him as President of Ireland. What do you guys think?

Dear oh dear, I thought this SF/Republican ideal had been put out of its misery in previous 'Hero worshiping' threads :rolleyes: Now for 30 pages of trench warfare, all the Shinners say 'Yey' to Adams > all others say 'Nay'!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Id prob vote for him if it was going to be him or Bertie. Prob would alienate some unionists from the Republic but I dont think such unionists were ever going to be that fond of the Republic anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Deedsie wrote: »
    Id prob vote for him if it was going to be him or Bertie.

Rock and hard place, there.

To be fair, though, for all his many faults, I don't think Ahern ever implicitly condoned murder and violence.

Would be sickened if either of them were elected, though.

You'll see it quite regularly on here, the same lines are trotted out time after time after time on the basis that if you say something enough, it must be the truth. Don't blame them though, it's all part of the brain washing, they don't realise what they say.
    What 'same lines' are these? Who are 'they' in question? What constitutes this 'brainwashing'?
    Camelot wrote: »
    Dear oh dear, I thought this SF/Republican ideal had been put out of its misery in previous 'Hero worshiping' threads :rolleyes: Now for 30 pages of trench warfare, all the Shinners say 'Yey' to Adams > all others say 'Nay'!
    What do you mean 'put out of its misery'?
    Rock and hard place, there.

To be fair, though, for all his many faults, I don't think Ahern ever implicitly condoned murder and violence.

Would be sickened if either of them were elected, though.
    Ahern didn't grow up in the same environment as Gerry Adams did. He didn't suffer personally under brutal state-sponsored oppression. He didn't lose family and friends as a result of this. During the height of the Troubles, I think I'll excuse Adams' outlook. You have to say though, he's come a long way.

Personally, I wouldn't care if either of them was elected as President. It won't make one ounce of difference in my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Gerry Adams?
    God lord! I'd rather have Michael O'Leary! :D

Advertisement