Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public sector and management bullying?

Options
  • 10-10-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I work in an office where other staff by local arrangement are allowed to work up time. From the time I started I have never been allowed to do this, fobbed off with different reasons as to why. I now realise everyone of the same grade bar me is allowed to do this. I have gone to my direct manager who has approached the senior manager , and the bottom line is he wants me to put my complaint in writing to him and then he will stop all staff working up time. I don't want to do this as it will turn all of the staff against me. I feel this is discrimination and very bad treatment. I want to make a complaint but don't want to be forced to move to another location as it suits me for family reasons. What are my rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Is there anything in your contract about working up time?

Your complaint is not about discrimination (as allowed in law), there doesn't seem to be bullying, per se. You don't want the practise to stop, as it would suit you to take part.

I'd say talk to a close colleague is who allowed do it, and find out how it started. Some places I've worked have had arrangements where people take a short lunch break in order to leave a little earlier (to pick up kids from school, for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 middleclass

Thanks I will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Are people who were hired after you allowed to do this? It could be that they simply designed before hiring you that no new staff would be allowed to do this. Maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Have a word with your local Union Rep - the possibility is that they will be able to sort this out for you & at the same time avoid any of the consequences that you mentioned.

Advertisement