Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strep B

Options
  • 10-10-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of this. I have read in the papers last week a baby died from it. Anyone know anything??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Group B Strep is an organism that lives on the perineum of some mothers without any problems, in some women it can cause urinary tract infections and the like.

In many countries, women are screened for GBS but here in Ireland it isn't! I'm sure it has a lot to do with the cost etc... I think apparently they say that even if you screen and get a negative result you can still pick up the organism before giving birth, therefore there is no point in screening.

GBS only really becomes a problem if the baby contracts it during a normal delivery (obviously during a C-Section the baby doesn't go near the perineum) If the mother is known to carry GBS she will be given antibiotics in labour which will pass through the placenta and protect the baby. The baby will then be monitored more closely for 48 hours after delivery - transfer to NICU should only be needed if any problems are identified.

The risk of GBS passing to the baby I believe is quite small, but its a risk all the same!

Unfortunately I don't think the policy is going to change any time soon on routine screening in Ireland, so the best thing to do is to familiarise yourself with the symptoms of GBS infections in babies, such as poor feeding, floppiness, very rapid breathing. I'm sure google can tell you more about what to look for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Slainte_sf

I worked in the states and there every pregnant women is routinely screened at week 36. This protocol is fairly recent and came about because a baby died and the mother sued her doctor for not screening and treating her GBS.

So instead of treating a newborn with the symptoms (described in earlier post) with antibiotics, they treat mothers who have tested positive. There are lots of downsides to this, like antiobiotic resistance, inductions, medical intervention. In such a litigious society, it may be legal rather than medical treatment??

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Wife had it all through pregnancy. Couldn't get rid of it despite repeated antibiotics. In end she get more antibiotics via IV immediately prior to birth and everything was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I was reading about that too, Molly. It's a bit alarming that they don't test for it here even if it is very rare for it to cause infections. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

simu wrote: »
    I was reading about that too, Molly. It's a bit alarming that they don't test for it here even if it is very rare for it to cause infections. :(

On both mine my waters broke early @ 32 & 29 weeks. I held on for 10 days but on both I caught Strep & pushed me into labour. I was fairly sick afterwards but babies were both perfect ( eventually). Hospital only realised on both cases when my temp shot through the roof & intense labour started rapidly. On the 2nd one I was actually sent home from the hospital with my waters gone as there was a much higher risk of me catching an infection in there. Speaking from experience a simple test would have prevented the drama it caused in there

• Advertisement

There's a similar thread on rollercoaster.ie in the premie section. From the amount of posts there it seems like GBS carriers have a greater incidence of premature rupture of membranes. If antibiotic treatment would prevent babies born too early, wouldn't it be amazingly simple!

In my doula practice, some mothers have used holistic remedies to boost their immune system which may suppress the bacteria. One in four women are carriers, and can test positive/negative at different times. Taking probiotics, garlic, Vitamin C, Echinacea may help clear an infection. I have some articles on this eg.

'Treating Group B Strep: Are Antibiotics Necessary?
    By Christa Novelli of Mothering Magazine
    Issue 121, Nov/Dec 2003'

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

oh god, i was reading about this the other day in what to expect, but i didnt realise they didnt test for it in this country!!!

Now im scared. You say it causes utis? I've been having a problem with kidney/UTI and a lot of bateria in the urine.

That terrifies me into requesting a section. The doctors have pretty much admitted they don't know what they are doing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

hacked wrote: »
    oh god, i was reading about this the other day in what to expect, but i didnt realise they didnt test for it in this country!!!

Now im scared. You say it causes utis? I've been having a problem with kidney/UTI and a lot of bateria in the urine.

That terrifies me into requesting a section. The doctors have pretty much admitted they don't know what they are doing....

If your really worried you can get a private test done the sample is send to a private lab. http://www.tdlpathology.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

thanks...really appreciate it. I know the chances are small...but i've taken numerous courses of antibiotics over the previous months and been resistant to all of them. Doctors are testing me every week...but have pretty much admitted they don't understand what's going on. Thye just test me, they don't treat me...any risk is too big a risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had a baby that got strep b from me, I never know I had it until he was born, he was very very sick and nearly died a few times and we didnt know how things would turn out for him. He is constanly getting checked out by doctors. It has been an awful 6 mths, we dont know if he will be ok as he was so bad with strep b. He Was in hosp for a month. I hate to think of this country not doing a simple test for it can result in such heartache. I will never have another baby as I could let it happening to another baby.

Not to frighten anyone but everyone should be tested and then at least if you have it you can get the medical help proir to giving birth and all will mostly be well.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Advertisement

hey strep b baby-- im so so sorry to hear about what a hard time you've had. Thanks for telling me about your experience though. I am convinced I probably have it. I will be going for private testing, and because I have been resistant to anti biotics for a while now will most likely be requesting a c section (and fighting for it!) if the test comes back positive.

My baby got strep B aswell and was very very sick from it, she was in hospital for 3 weeks and at home now and doing as well as expected. It is unreal how sick they can get from it, I never heard of Strep B before now and has frighten me into have anymore kids as it can happen again. She is getting monitored by the Coombe and we are hoping that there arte no serious longterm effects.

I would tell every preg mother to get tested for it to make sure you dont have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 little ol me

I was worried about Strep B too and requested it at my 36 week appointment-I was a public patient. The midwife initially told me that it wasn't necessary but I persisted as a friend's baby became quite ill from it. She made a song and dance about asking her superior, and to my surprise she came back and did it no problem there and then. Apparently it you request it, they will do it- just don't take no for an answer if you're at all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I was worried about Strep B too and requested it at my 36 week appointment-I was a public patient. The midwife initially told me that it wasn't necessary but I persisted as a friend's baby became quite ill from it. She made a song and dance about asking her superior, and to my surprise she came back and did it no problem there and then. Apparently it you request it, they will do it- just don't take no for an answer if you're at all concerned.

You know what makes me mad? That you have to go out of your way to request things. I'm not a medical professional for ffs, I cannot possibly be aware of every single test. And yes, most of them are not necessary for the majority, but there's no harm in letting people know what is available, what is it for and what size the risks are. And THEN you can start making some sort of informed decision and request or not request things.

I went for a pre-conception appt. with my GP (well, I thought I might as well do this thing properly :D) and asked for the blood tests and rubella test. They were quite confused in there why I wanted rubella test since they test for it once you're pregnant. I pointed out that it's a bit late finding out that you're not immune coz you can't get rubella vaccine when pregnant. They did do a test at the end..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

wish i had of read this before i had my baby. shes in hospital at the moment with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sorry to hear that lolli.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got checked for it in Holles St they said it was routine.
    It annoys me that it is not just done everywhere because if you have it they can give you antibiotics during the birth to reduce the risk of passing it on to your baby.

Sorry to hear your baby is sick Lolli.

Anyone.... is it legal to print off this 'Strep B' board? I think the hospital/docs should be aware of this discussion. Lets face it, they are not going to change 'best practices' in antenatal care unless there is a big shove from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I got checked for it in Holles St they said it was routine.
    It annoys me that it is not just done everywhere because if you have it they can give you antibiotics during the birth to reduce the risk of passing it on to your baby.

How long ago was the Moonbeam? As far as I'm aware its not routine and never has been. Its not a test that was going to be made routine either the last time I was working in Holles St because of politics/finances!

Stupid cos its such a simple test and if it only saved 1 baby's life it'd be worth the 'extra expense'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Rach, you went private though did you?

My daughter has now caught the winter vomiting bug. I'm really annoyed at how tough shes getting it. A little test could have saved her from all of this.

• Advertisement

Hi Girls, sorry your baby is sick lolli!

I'm 38 weeks now and was going to request strep B test (I'm with midwife clinic). My understanding was that you either have it or not and if you do you just get antibiotics in labour and you are sorted.
    Turned out midwife brought it up herself as one of the difficult to predict complications that can occur.

Well, unfortunately it is not a simple yes or no answer. Turns out many people are carriers and it is a transient thing - if you have it at week 35 does not mean you'll have it during labour or even a day later! It's that annoyingly unpredictable. Also even if you have it during labour baby will not necessarily catch it (it's something around 0.5-1% chance) and risk is highest for very long labours (no waters for over 12 or 18 h) and instrumental deliveries.

So I was going to get the test just for the peace of mind, but I don't think I will now after speaking at length with 2 midwives about it...
    I think I'll just have to hope for the best. It is also slightly reasurring that I had a few urine samples sent to the lab recently and no strep there.

It is really annoying that you ca't just get a yes/no answer with the test :(

ebmma -- i have heard the same. Going to the hospital tomorrow and am going to request the test anyway, just for peace of mind!

The homebirth midwives I knew in San Francisco prescribed a treatment of supplements like garlic, probiotics etc. The idea was to boost the mothers immune system along with resting and a healthy diet then retest at 39weeks.
    I guess it'd be much like a yeast infection that flairs up when our immune system is stressed. No wonder long labours etc. are at highest risk.
    ebmma wrote: »
    Well, unfortunately it is not a simple yes or no answer. Turns out many people are carriers and it is a transient thing - if you have it at week 35 does not mean you'll have it during labour or even a day later! It's that annoyingly unpredictable. Also even if you have it during labour baby will not necessarily catch it (it's something around 0.5-1% chance) and risk is highest for very long labours (no waters for over 12 or 18 h) and instrumental deliveries.

:(

Slainte_sf wrote: »
    The homebirth midwives I knew in San Francisco prescribed a treatment of supplements like garlic, probiotics etc. The idea was to boost the mothers immune system along with resting and a healthy diet then retest at 39weeks.
    I guess it'd be much like a yeast infection that flairs up when our immune system is stressed. No wonder long labours etc. are at highest risk.

I decided not to do it after all. Just trying to continue to remain healthy and hope nothing shows up in the urine tests.

I'm not sure if it is sensible or irresponsible, I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks :confused::eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

How long ago was the Moonbeam? As far as I'm aware its not routine and never has been. Its not a test that was going to be made routine either the last time I was working in Holles St because of politics/finances!

Stupid cos its such a simple test and if it only saved 1 baby's life it'd be worth the 'extra expense'!

I am kind of glad they did test now:)

lolli wrote: »
    Rach, you went private though did you?

My daughter has now caught the winter vomiting bug. I'm really annoyed at how tough shes getting it. A little test could have saved her from all of this.

I did.

Aww, the poor little thing:(
    At least you have her home with you now.
    All the little coughs and colds are going to seem like nothing to you now compared to what the poor thing has already been through.
    Hope she feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

I only became aware of strep B when i was giving antibiotics when I arrived at the labour ward to give birth to my son 5 months ago, When I asked the Doctor what the Antibotics were for she told me I had strep B, I then asked her why I hadn't been told about it and she said oh it must have showed up in your blood tests and she get me the injection. I later questioned my Midwife on why I hadn't been told and when she checked my chart to see when the results came back she told me it had been a mistake!!:(
    She also told me the it was tested for routinely, I was a public patient in WRH.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A word to the wise if you are given antibiotics in labour, make sure to get a diflucan tab after. I forgot and am riddled with yeast (sorry unpleasant). Have been treating it for two weeks and it's only marginally better. Especially bad for breastfeeding.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    A word to the wise if you are given antibiotics in labour, make sure to get a diflucan tab after. I forgot and am riddled with yeast (sorry unpleasant). Have been treating it for two weeks and it's only marginally better. Especially bad for breastfeeding.

Is Diflucan a probiotic?

Yeast is really tough especially as you said for breastfeeding, when you pass it back and forth. Since a new baby's gut is sterile at birth it needs mothers 'good' flora from the vagina (sorry unpeasant!!) and from breastmilk. As well as taking the probiotics you could try a candida cleanse.

Candida Related Complex is a yeast imbalance. Once all the good cultures in your gut are killed off (along with the bad Strep B) by the antibiotics, it thrives on breads, rice, sugars etc. You could check 'Body Ecology Diet' by Donna Gates from the USA. Some of her ideas might be new like making your own cultured veggies(sauerkraut) but worth a look if you are not getting the yeast infection under control.

• Advertisement

Holles st dont test for it as I only had a baby there a while ago and wasnt tested and she was born and get strep b from me, she was in ICU for a month, very bad and nearly didnt pull thru, we wont know the longterm damage as strep B can cause so so many problems.

I would urge every preg mother to pay and get the test done. It can come and go as i know when 24 hrs after giving birth they tested me again for strep b and it had gone so if I gave birth 24 hrs later she would be 100% healthy.....i am crying writing this as I dont know the longterm affects it has on my baby boy. I will never hav anymore babies. It has been very hard coping with this.

Best of luck everyone. I dont want to frighten anyone but get tested and dont go thru what we have been put thru the last 5 mths.

Advertisement