Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build

Options
  • 11-10-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hi this is my first post so be gentle with me.
    I'm in the middle of my first build, and money is a bit tight, just wondering about memory, what should i be looking for when picking what type? I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, and AMD Phenom II X2 550. I'm not a huge gamer but do like rpg's. I won't be overclocking but you never know 12 months down the line.
    Cheers, any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unfortunately (given you're on a budget) the Evo is a shiny new AM3 mobo. And those need pricey DDR3 memory. Look for 4GB (as a 2*2GB kit or two seperate 2GB sticks) of cheap PC10600 (1333MHz) or PC12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 memory. Lower latencies (CL7/8) are preferable but if they're too expensive compared to CL9 don't worry too much. Don't worry too much about voltage either, AM3 isn't limited to 1.65vDIMM like LGA1156 or LGA1366.

Oh, and welcome to Boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Cheers solitare, the heat spreaders on the likes of corsair dominator or the plates on the ocz platinum, will these have much effect or are the differences minimal.:confused:

Not unless you're trying to run them at even higher voltages than they recommend :o

Most usual arguments for memory heatspreaders at the end of the day usually boils down to "they look pretty" :D They help a tiny bit but only the really huge ones are much use, and even then only with modules overvolted halfway to kingdom come :eek: On the other hand oversized heatspreaders are tall enough to interfere with many aftermarket CPU coolers, if you have one. Best stick to "normal size" heatspreaders IMHO, not least because such modules are often cheaper. Speed, latency and price should be your main concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

Well the AMD Phenom II X2 550 is a Black Edition processor, pretty much built for overclocking, so kind of an odd choice for a system you won't be doing much overclocking on! The frequency multiplier is unlocked enabling some amazingly high FSB speeds.

But heck, at least you didn't do what I did :D I went and bought that processor for a second pc, and without thinking, got a MB with the 770 chipset, which doesn't work with on the fly overclocking or spider type programs, such as AMD Overdrive. =/

Regarding the memory, if you haven't already gotten some, I'd highly recommend the following, before the deal is over!!

http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/4GB_G_Skill_DDR3_PC3_12800_1600MHz_Ripjaw_Series-7_8_7_24-Dual_Channel_kit_for_Intel_LGA1156_i5_i7/index.html

Marcface wrote: »
    Well the AMD Phenom II X2 550 is a Black Edition processor, pretty much built for overclocking, so kind of an odd choice for a system you won't be doing much overclocking on!

Not really - its a happy half-way-house between the budget A2s and the P2 X3s. Unlocked multi is just a bonus :)
    The frequency multiplier is unlocked enabling some amazingly high FSB speeds.

No... Unlocked multi allows you to reach very high CPU speeds without raising the FSB speed.
    But heck, at least you didn't do what I did :D I went and bought that processor for a second pc, and without thinking, got a MB with the 770 chipset, which doesn't work with on the fly overclocking or spider type programs, such as AMD Overdrive. =/

If OverDrive/ACC don't work on your mobo, it ain't a 770. Those were designed as budget OC mobos :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

cheers guys for the info, went for 4GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum Dual Channel kit (7-7-7) from elara at 90euro. and an antec 300, so hopefully will have everything up and running this time next week.

Overdrive is a "Spider" platform utility. It *ONLY* works with ATI 790FX chipets. Your 770 chipset is NOT spider compliant, and hence will not work with overdrive.

Utter toss. So AOD and ACC don't work on Phenom2s? And you can't use CCC Overdrive on HD4000/5000 GPUs? Funny that... my HD4830 is puttering along nicely at 680/1920... thanks OverDrive! But apparently that's impossible now? :rolleyes:

This is a very lame excuse by Award (or was it Phoenix?), recycled by several mobo vendors (primarily ABit) to cover themselves because Award or the vendors themselves didn't make proper AOD-compatible BIOSes for certain mobos and I'm pretty sure AMD wants to strangle the twats. As it is if the current BIOS release for the 770-C45 knocks out AOD I'm not going to recommend it anymore for OC purposes. If MSI screwed the pooch they can reap the rewards! :P

That is the latest BIOS and latest AOD release you have there Marcface, isn't it? ;)

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be any endemic issue with AOD on the 770-C45, just sporadic annoyed individuals who have been given this BS answer from various BS sources. AFAIK the C45 isn't one of the mobos with known BIOS issues (they're mostly ABits and other mobos no longer being supported due to age or OEM going bust) so if AOD isn't playing ball it's a weird-ass configuration issue or a busted mobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Solitaire wrote: »
    Utter toss. So AOD and ACC don't work on Phenom2s? And you can't use CCC Overdrive on HD4000/5000 GPUs? Funny that... my HD4830 is puttering along nicely at 680/1920... thanks OverDrive! But apparently that's impossible now? :rolleyes:

This is a very lame excuse by Award (or was it Phoenix?), recycled by several mobo vendors (primarily ABit) to cover themselves because Award or the vendors themselves didn't make proper AOD-compatible BIOSes for certain mobos and I'm pretty sure AMD wants to strangle the twats. As it is if the current BIOS release for the 770-C45 knocks out AOD I'm not going to recommend it anymore for OC purposes. If MSI screwed the pooch they can reap the rewards! :P

That is the latest BIOS and latest AOD release you have there Marcface, isn't it? ;)

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be any endemic issue with AOD on the 770-C45, just sporadic annoyed individuals who have been given this BS answer from various BS sources. AFAIK the C45 isn't one of the mobos with known BIOS issues (they're mostly ABits and other mobos no longer being supported due to age or OEM going bust) so if AOD isn't playing ball it's a weird-ass configuration issue or a busted mobo.

Sweet mother of God is there anything you don't know!

Advertisement