Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

318 Losing revs?

• 11-10-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have 318 that is losing revs when at idle. Have only started to notice this recently.

Example: I am stopped at the traffic lights and I notice the power dipping down and coming back up again. The revs seem to dip and then power up again.

Any idea what could be causing this and if it is the start of a big issue?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What year/type is your 318?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Hi All,

I have 318 that is losing revs when at idle. Have only started to notice this recently.

Example: I am stopped at the traffic lights and I notice the power dipping down and coming back up again. The revs seem to dip and then power up again.

Any idea what could be causing this and if it is the start of a big issue?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help.

More than likely a Lambda sensor, uses exhaust gases to control air fuel mix. Bring it to AC car sales or Gary in Chelmsford motors (if in Dublin) can't remember how much it cost but it's not a pricey fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardmaster

its a 1999 IS . not sure if this a common issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The lambda or MAF sensor is fecked, better bring it to a garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

More than likely the rubber intake tract is split. That is a common problem on that model. That or similar vac leak is something you can check yourself and will cause the symptom you describe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Damaged pcv valve can do it as well, not expensive to replace. Make sure your oil filler cap and dipstick are secure as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardmaster

thanks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Does the car have air conditioning? The ac compressor can cause the idle to momentarily dip when it engages, but the effect should be slight enough.

Advertisement