Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Questions - Upgrading, MSN/Bebo, etc.

• 11-10-2009 12:09pm

Hey guys,

I have two questions that I couldn't see answers for in the FAQ/charter (probably because anyone with any common sense would already know the answers, but I don't fit that qualification where phones are concerned, sadly).

Pretty much, my phone's speaker is giving me hassle (can barely hear people) so I think it's time I moved onto another phone.

I have two questions though, both of which aren't really that important, but that I'd like to know the answer to anyway :)

Firstly, I'm with Meteor. Everytime I ever bought a phone in the past, I just headed on down to any mobile phone shop (Carphone Warehouse last time I got one) and bought a phone and started from scratch (new number, etc.). So my question is, after messing about on Meteor's site, what's the difference between just buying a new phone, and buying an 'Upgrade' phone?
    You must be active for at least 90 days on the Meteor network before you can register for upgrade call credits and you need to leave 90 days between each subsequent registration for upgrade call credit.

The phones seem to cost the same either way, and I don't want to get into a load of hassle with them by trying to mooch free credit out of them (I have to top up by €20 per month anyway to get the free texts to all networks, so free credit wouldn't be hugely beneficial... is that the only upside?!)

Secondly, what's up with people getting free access to sites like MSN, Bebo etc. via their phone? I'd probably never actually use either on a phone, but out of pure greed I want to be able to. How do you go about this? do you have to buy a certain phone? Is it only on a different provider (O2, Vodafone, etc) or is there just some sneaky charge they nail you with when you least expect it!?

Cheers to anyone who can offer any advice or help here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If you buy an upgrade phone with Meteor, you're just buying a new phone, no new sim card or number, and you put your existing sim card in the new phone and start using it. If you don't buy an upgrade phone, you're buyign a new phone that comes with a new sim and new number; just like you've been doing for years.

The part you quoted, "You must be active for at least 90 days" etc, is Meteor's way to stop people receiving too much free credit at once, e.g. if you buy a new sim with a new number, you'll receive free credit, so you can't go out the next week and buy an upgrade phone and register it to get more credit straight away, you have to wait 90 days from when you first got your new sim and started using your new number. This also applies to buying an upgrade phone, registering it to get free credit and then going out the following week and getting another upgrade phone and registering it too to avail of the free credit. It's also used as a security precaution, as people who might steal phones can't keep registering them for free credit on the same account in a short space of time.

Accessing MSN/Bebo for free is a service offered by certain providers as a incentive to use their network and services. For example, 3 offer free Skype, MSN and Bebo alerts, information of which can be found here and here and O2 offer free access to Bebo, information of which can be found here.

Cheers for the reply, Rsaeire.

I think I'll just stick to buying a whole new phone from scratch and changing my number. Seems a better option to me.

Thanks again man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Cheers for the reply, Rsaeire.

I think I'll just stick to buying a whole new phone from scratch and changing my number. Seems a better option to me.

Thanks again man.

No problem, glad I could help. ;)

Advertisement