Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opera in Ireland - general discussion thread on all things opera in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

If anyone who posts here would be willing to provide advice in relation to planning and executing a trip to Milano early next year I will be very grateful. Any tips at all, whether related to organised trips, cheap flights, suitable hotels etc etc will be gratefully received.

Best to arrange it yourself.
    Fly to Linate or Malpensa with Aer Lingus. Preferably Linate since close to city centre - short taxi ride, or cheap urban bus. Malpensa 45 mins out of town. Buses or trains in. Ryanair fly to Bergamo. About an hour into Milano by bus.

For anything popular you really need to be on the ball to buy tickets for La Scala. Check the date that the tickets you are interested in go on sale and be ready. The website system works well, you can pick individual seats, and collect the tickets there (note: ticket office is in the underground mall under piazza Duomo - not at the house). Returns do come back on the site as they are received right up to the performance but will be scattered here and there (generally the boxes). (Available for about €12 on the day are tickets for the Gods. Complicated queueing procedure, for most of the tickets you will have to stand, but damn good value)

Tickets prices are in the top bracket in Europe. Similar to Covent Garden and Garnier. And further disadvantaged by a lot of bad seats. If money not a factor, make sure to go for the stalls. Apart from the Gods, the rest is all boxes. And if you have the wrong seat in the wrong box, in truth, not very comfortable. In the back two of each box you will have to stand to see the stage. On the side boxes, even in the front row, there is one good seat, one bad seat.

For accomodation. Many within walking distance in all price ranges (if really doing a pigrimage, you could stay in the Grand Hotel de Milan - Verdi's residence for years! If you cant go for that do stop in bar Zucca in the Galleria though - as faboured by Verdi, Toscanini, Callas, etc) .
    Best value to be had if you are happy to take a short metro trip. Best I find are usually one of the many middle rank hotels on Corso Buenos Aires. Metro to Duomo runs the length of it, and is a short trip.

La Scala for me has a Mecca factor. Maybe it is my own mood when there, but it always seems to me that everyone is just really happy to be there. Even the way the lights dim before the curtain up seems magical. It attracts the big names, and quality, while premier league, and always very professional, can be a little stodgy. It has a feeling of never extending itself or reaching for something special - steady, luxurious, and hard to criticise Mercedes, rather then thrilling Ferrari ride. Do take in the Scala museum during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Excellent post Sand. Yes indeed a Mecca and only once ticked off my list. A memorable night int he mid 90s. the orchestra went on strike - there was mayhem for an hour - the claudio Abbado came to the curtain and said the performamce (traviata) would go ahead - they wheeled a piano on stage and he did the whole thing himself with a piano score on stage in the middle of the set.

A quite unforgettable evening!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

Wasn't that Riccardo Muti? Quite a historic evening, I gather.

Wasn't that Riccardo Muti? Quite a historic evening, I gather.

I think you could be right! it was a long time ago I was at a business conference in the area - and we decided to treat ourselves to tickets in the stalls (the days of corporate entertaining! A long time ago indeed). Yes it was some night and I was fortunate enough to be there.

Short Google check reveals that it was Muti in 1995. The soprano was Tiziana Fabbricini (where on earth has she disappeared to?), who was amazing. I heard her sing Violetta once in a concert performance.

• Advertisement

Enough reminising not quite the same but - Out west we have a bit more opera in cinema to be seen this year.

LA BOHEME PUCCINI
    LIVE FROM TEATRE DEL LICEU, BARCELONA

AT MAYO MOVIE WORLD, CASTLEBAR

TUESDAY MARCH 13th 7.00pm

Synopsis:

Conductor | Víctor Pablo Pérez
    Staged Director | Giancarlo del Monaco

Starring:
    Fiorenza Cedolins | Mimi
    Ramón Vargas | Rodolfo
    Christopher Maltman | Marcello
    Gabriel Bermúdez | Schaunard
    Ainhoa Arteta | Musetta

Tickets €15.00 available on www.mayomovieworld.ie OR at The Box Office

Great move by Mayomovieworld they did try the NY Met shows but with Sligo and Galway already showing them the audience was limited. But those of us out in the west this will be worth going to - Also showing in Dungarvan http://www.sgcdungarvan.ie/

and in Gorey http://www.moviesatgorey.ie/

The boheme was a nice evening out. Very trad production and slick transition from Act one to Act two. Fiorenza Cedolins as Mimi was the top performer, Ramón Vargas as Rodolfo very convincing supporting cast all sound Christopher Maltman | Marcello Gabriel Bermúdez | Schaunard Ainhoa Arteta | Musetta.

Couple of technical glitches with the broadcast in act one but not at critical moments and they got ironed out - nothing to do with the cinema it was at the Barcelona end or something to do with a sun flares I was told by the manager. http://www.operaincinema.com/ are not quite as slick yet as the Met Opera broadcasts but this may be due to the fact they are a "touring company" and each opera house presents technical issues they may not face at others. €15 to get in is cheaper than the NY MET shows - and the pricing is about right. I wouldn't have paid €25 for last night - in fact I think that is a bit steep for the NY MET shows.

Nice night out though a nice Boheme. The showing of Anna bolena has been cancelled at the irish cinemas (due on Wed 21st) the next one is Rigoletto live from the ROH on April 17th check out the cast details on opera in cinema web or the cinema websites in Mayo Dungarvan and Gorey.

Worth a trip down the N11 if you are on the south side of Dublin. for me it will be Castlebar again

Went to Giulio Cesare last night.
    I enjoyed it, but I have to say that I found the endless succession of recitative-aria da capo-recitative-aria da capo (he must have had a printing press for da capo arias) a bit tiresome. It is all arias, with the exception of one or two duets. There are no ensembles, no chorus.
    The cast were good. Sarah Tynan was exceptional as Cleopatra.
    The production was effective and simple. The costumes a weird combination of modern dress and bright blue uniforms. Cornelia wore a grey work suit with silk tights and high heel shoes. She's supposed to be a recently widowed empress and she looked like she was working on the cosmetics counter in Brown Thomas.
    I was very near the stage so could hear everything perfectly. The orchestra were excellent apart from the horns. I don't know if the small cast and ensemble filled up that huge theatre. It would have been sensational in Wexford.

Saw last nights Giulio Cesare also and enjoyed it.

The undoubted star was Cleopatra. Sarah Tynan has an excellent voice, and her V'adoro Pupille was a really standout moment of the evening. Throughout, she was also a true actress, which did a lot to add life to the slow motion feel you can get with these operas built on sequences of da capo arias.
    She and Sesto outshone the other voices. Giulio herself was variable, fortunately good in Va Tacito, but quite a few weak spots though without ever letting the side down. Cornelia and Achilla were fine. Tolomeo's countertenor I could not warm to - though his selfish, lecherous Monostatos style acting did work well.
    Staging was good. The orchestra played well, but insufficiently 'period' for me in either sound or playing style as I would prefer with Handel - but to each his own on this point.

Overall, the standard was a serious rung above the Opera Ireland fare we used to know (if not love), and I would hope the GCT becomes a regular part of the ON tour, and that they show some adventure in their programming.
    Was towards the front middle (I was taking no chances given the opera, and previous experience of the GCT). Sound was fine for the voices. Orchestra just a little faint or remote despite my proximity to it (the pit looks very deep?). The top floor of the theatre was closed, and there was an almost-full feel with a decent turnout of Dublin's operati in the seats open.

Feel a bit guilty not supporting their Butterfly to encourage return visits, but while I have good time for Puccini in general, and some of the music in it, its not an opera I care for much. Anyone see it ?

By the way, does anyone know why the planned Barbiere and Eugene Onegin from ETO in Belfast were cancelled ? Was disappointed to see.

• Advertisement

Has anybody heard anything about this "Wide Open Opera" thing that Michael Dervan mentioned in the Irish Times. He said something about a Welsh production of Tristan and Isolde with Miriam Murphy (who's meant to be amazing).

Has anybody heard anything about this "Wide Open Opera" thing that Michael Dervan mentioned in the Irish Times. He said something about a Welsh production of Tristan and Isolde with Miriam Murphy (who's meant to be amazing).

For the Autumn I guess. Welsh National Opera itself is doing Tristan until the middle of June. None of our theatres listing it, and probably late for any of them to add it to the bill before summer.

Noticed this in today's Irish Times:

Wide Open Opera’s production of Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde will run for three nights at the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre (Sunday, September 30th, Wednesday, October 3rd and Friday 6th), and joining Paul McNamara and Miriam Murphy as the doomed lovers will be Imelda Drumm as Brangäne, Manfred Hemm as King Mark, Eamonn Mulhall as the Sailor and Gavan Ring as the Steersman.
    The production, originally directed and designed by Yannis Kokkos for Welsh National Opera, will be revived by Peter Watson, and Fergus Sheil will conduct an orchestra of 85. Starting times haven’t been announced yet, but expect this super-long piece to begin at 6pm or earlier.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/0327/1224313941065.html

Excellent news. Had in mind to take in one of the performances in Cardiff or Birmingham in a couple of months time. But I do prefer opera brought to me if possible. I might be greedy and go for both.....

Is this setup the future of opera in Ireland? Productions from our neighbours being picked up when finished touring on the far side of the water, and run locally here.

Sandwlch wrote: »

Is this setup the future of opera in Ireland? Productions from our neighbours being picked up when finished touring on the far side of the water, and run locally here.

Maybe not the ideal solution but better than "experiencing" half-arsed disasters put on by Opera Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Maybe not the ideal solution but better than "experiencing" half-arsed disasters put on by Opera Ireland.

I don't know about that , I saw some great productions from Opera Ireland down through the years and some right clangers from ENO,WNO, ROH.

marienbad wrote: »
    I don't know about that , I saw some great productions from Opera Ireland down through the years and some right clangers from ENO,WNO, ROH.

Nothing comes with a guarantee certificate. I know that the ENO went through a terrible period for a few years churning out disaster after disaster. I've only ever seen two operas there - the fantastic Jonathan Miller Rigoletto and a pretty good Carmen. I've seen a few excellent things at the ROH, but I've never been to the WNO.

I've only ever seen two OI productions. A disastrous Traviata and equally disastrous Carmen.

Excellent news. Had in mind to take in one of the performances in Cardiff or Birmingham in a couple of months time. But I do prefer opera brought to me if possible. I might be greedy and go for both.....

In these austere days it seems like a good compromise - we sacrifice the "creativity" of Dieter Kaegi (thank goodness) and pick at the best productions from the UK regional companies. It may be the only soluton available to have any decent scale opera on a dublin stage. The funding of opera seems to have become even more fragmented with bits and pieces of money being thrown around to a mix match of projects. We undoubtedly have the home grown talent in voices, and we should have the orchestral resources if properly managed. It's all a bit piecemeal - but the idea of a Tristan in Dublin? Great News!

They're saying that Miriam Murphy is going to sing Isolde. I haven't heard her but rumour has it she's amazing.
    The Tristan is Paul McNamara. Again I haven't heard him but he seems to spend his time going around Germany singing Wagner.

The conductor is Fergus Shiel. Is he up to T&O?

Nothing comes with a guarantee certificate. I know that the ENO went through a terrible period for a few years churning out disaster after disaster. I've only ever seen two operas there - the fantastic Jonathan Miller Rigoletto and a pretty good Carmen. I've seen a few excellent things at the ROH, but I've never been to the WNO.

I've only ever seen two OI productions. A disastrous Traviata and equally disastrous Carmen.

A brilliant Boris Gudunov ,Katya Kabanova. Lady MacBeth of Mtsensk, a more than acceptable Silver Tassie and Martha and a truly dreadful Faust- all at Opera Ireland.

I have seen more bad productions at the ENO where the director seems to be king. The worst by far being the bicentenary of Berlioz' The Trojans in modern dress and split into two operas ! How crass can a company be? To commit the one crime that finished that great composer as an opera composer.

I am not saying that Opera Ireland were excellent in all they did , but lets not forget they were a regional company with a limited budget and a limited theatre and such as they were they gave great value down through the years. To have four opera on our doorstep every year was just brilliant, for example the 1999 seasom consisted of

Boris Gudunov/Barber Of Seville/Ariadne Of Naxos/Salome

And the 2009 programme ..

Rheingold/Macbeth/Mazeppa/Don Giovanni .

What have we now ? a sucession of touring companies putting on the top ten. Say goodbye to Mazeppa or Janacek for the forseeable future.

For all their faults we will come to miss Opera Ireland , I know I have.

• Advertisement

The worst thing about the ENO is their insistance on using the Alden brothers as directors. They've been doing the same shtick for 20 years. Black and white sets, sloping stage, characters rolling around on the floor. Complete rubbish.

What have we now ? a sucession of touring companies putting on the top ten. Say goodbye to Mazeppa or Janacek for the forseeable future.

For all their faults we will come to miss Opera Ireland , I know I have.

I'm not defending the current situation. I would like to see an Irish National Opera that's worthy of the name more than anyone.

But Giulio Cesare and even Tristan are hardly in the top ten.

I'm not defending the current situation. I would like to see an Irish National Opera that's worthy of the name more than anyone.

Is a fair comment. I think it is also worth bearing in mind that it is early days for foreign companies to be exploring the void (an arguable one maybe - but leaving aside dicussion on quality, as Marienbad says, it did give Dublin 4 operas a year, and with a reasonable mix of the top ten, and the less mainstream).

Opera North, Scottish Opera, Perm State, could only be expected to dip their toes in the water with the safer offerings of Rigoletto, Boheme, Traviata, and Butterfly. Prudent I would have thought. What will tell over the next year or two, is whether the ventures have been worthwhile enough for them to be encouraged to bring some less obvious offerings. Or whether they will be back at all!

Tristan and any Wagner are sui generis as they bring out their own dedicated crowd plus a curious general opera audience.

Giulio Cesare is a perfect example - Handel's masterpiece and not that far outside the top ten , yet had to have a performance cancelled.

What are the chances of any more Handel do you think ? This is the reality of comercially driven opera , limited repetoir and high prices.

I went to Giulio Cesare and the theatre was pretty full. It's true they couldn't fill the place twice (from the start that seemed optimistic) but there were enough people to fill it once. Perhaps they can bring pairs - one "top ranking" bums-on-seater and one rarer one. After all, Wexford sells out every year on totally unknown works.

I went to Giulio Cesare and the theatre was pretty full. It's true they couldn't fill the place twice (from the start that seemed optimistic) but there were enough people to fill it once. Perhaps they can bring pairs - one "top ranking" bums-on-seater and one rarer one. After all, Wexford sells out every year on totally unknown works.

Wexford does indeed sell out every year and I can't wait for this year. But it sells out for a myriad of reasons and the programme seems to be getting less obscure ( or so it seems to me) . I don't think the audience for Wexford and Opera Ireland or those touring operas is quite the same.

I just think we will miss the days when had 4 operas from Opera Ireland, 3 from Wexford and possibly 2 or more unstaged in the NCH and if that was not enough Ellen Kent touring twice a year with the big 5 or 6. We will look back and think it was a golden age and all long before the Celtic Tiger so it was'nt all about funding

I just think we will miss the days when had 4 operas from Opera Ireland, 3 from Wexford and possibly 2 or more unstaged in the NCH and if that was not enough Ellen Kent touring twice a year with the big 5 or 6. We will look back and think it was a golden age and all long before the Celtic Tiger so it was'nt all about funding

And not forgetting two or three good boutique productions from Opera Theatre Company.

GP Tristan is in my top 3 - in fact it probably is my top one! Peter Grimes follows it. (I know I probably need to start taking the happy pills!)

The top floor of the theatre was closed, and there was an almost-full feel with a decent turnout of Dublin's operati in the seats open.
    ?

not quite the definition of "pretty full" according to Sand anyway GP!

• Advertisement

And not forgetting two or three good boutique productions from Opera Theatre Company.

Indeed Sandwlch -How could I forget them ! A gross oversight. Frequently the highlight of the year particularly in their Handel productions.

The we had the two productions at Castleward and the occassional ones in Belfast .

Up to 20 operas annually on the island in a mixture of the masterpieces ,the less often performed and the absolute rarities . As I say we will look back on it as a golden age.

westtip wrote: »
    not quite the definition of "pretty full" according to Sand anyway GP!

Just proves what I've always said - that your average Mr and Mrs Operagoer are only interested in about 6 operas.

Up to 20 operas annually on the island in a mixture of the masterpieces ,the less often performed and the absolute rarities . As I say we will look back on it as a golden age.

So why has Ireland always felt like an opera-free-zone?

So why has Ireland always felt like an opera-free-zone?

I donno GP , has it ? Year after year I looked forward to my twice yearly trek to the Gaity , then a few nights in Wexford and opera theatre on my doorstep and if time and finances permitted a quick dash over the border.

Many years I actually found it more difficult to see good orchestral and chamber music performances .

Maybe it is the fact that we do not have a recognised and custom built opera house in the capitol city to spread the message beyond the afficianados

Anyone go to the MET HD broadcast last night? Natalie Dessay should not have taken to the stage, she was clearly suffering the whole way through the performance. Pity because she has a great voice but last night was not one to put in the to be remembered category. I wonder whether her voice is big enough for Violetta in a house the size of the Met. He first act performance was very croaky and why she did that ridiculous interview on stage after the end of the first act, she was coughing the whole way through it she should have been straight to the dressing room for quiet and a tcp gargle. when you have a sore throat as an international opera star you should not potentially damage your larynx further just because of contracts. Apparently she had body swerved performances earlier in the week and should have stayed in bed for this one.

It's an interesting production, the concepts worked but I don't think its a great production that will stand the test of time (pun will be understood by those who saw it), OK on the whole, interesting and worth looking at old stalwarts with a different angle but it did not set the world alight for me. Good performances from Germont (Dmitri Hvorostovsky) and Alfredo (Matthew Polenzani) and choir, but Dmitri Hvorostovsky cannot act to save his life. This one didn't get top marks, it was more like a series of concert arias, I'm also getting a bit tired of these interminable intervals the encore performances would be better to go to - straight through no intervals pay less and just get on with it - also any technical glitches would be ironed out with an encore replay.

Mind you this is turning out to be a real moneyspinner for the Met http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/15/met-opera-live-in-hd-10-million-tickets_n_1427341.html this reports that NEW YORK -- The Metropolitan Opera in New York has reached a landmark in its movie-theater broadcasts from the stage to the world: 10 million tickets sold since the series started.

"Live in HD" ended its sixth season this weekend, beaming Verdi's "La Traviata" via satellite to 1,500 movie screens in North America and more than 40 countries.

Almost a quarter of a million people saw Saturday's live performance directed for screens by the man who leads Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Gary Halvorson. The simulcast grossed $2.4 million in North America.

That is a huge figure - Quarter of a million - if the Met gets $10 for every cinema goer that's big money going into their coffers for this new distribution channel. It is far exceeding box office takings that's for sure, no wonder the European opera houses are looking on in envy and trying to tailgate them..

Anyway for me on Saturday night the sound was simply not loud enough in the cinema I was in. (Sligo) On the subject of others getting in on the act for this huge potential revenue stream for opera - There is another opera in cinema evening this Tuesday Rigoletto live from the ROH in Castlebar and I think 2 or 3 other cinemas around the country Gorey and Dungarvan. http://www.mayomovieworld.ie/article.php?sec=Corporate

Judging by the numbers the Met is getting to go these live opera HD shows the whole opera in cinema live HD broadcasts - may turn out to the be saviour of funding for the big international opera houses and in these lean times of public funding that has got to be good - but I think some of the funds should be directed at funding opera in the regional opera houses of countries they are being beamed into - this would make it healthy for the growth of opera globallyh - Maybe I shouldn't be so begrudging about one (IMO) poor performance and look a the positive side of how these performances are growing the global opera audience.

another one of those cinema live broadcasts last night - this time Rigoletto from the ROH - thoroughly enjoyable! Much better than the Met last Saturday. Pity its not on in more cinemas in Ireland.

• Advertisement

another one of those cinema live broadcasts last night - this time Rigoletto from the ROH - thoroughly enjoyable! Much better than the Met last Saturday. Pity its not on in more cinemas in Ireland.

Where was it on ? I would love to see the ROH broadcasts.

Starting soon we have a series of broadcasts in the Omniplex chain by Australian Opera, along with the usual Butterfly Traviata we have some lesser performed ones Lakme, The Pearlfishers and at least one rarely performed gem Die Todt Stadt by Korngold .

I have no idea of the standard as I know nothing about the company .

Anyway for me on Saturday night the sound was simply not loud enough in the cinema I was in. (Sligo) On the subject of others getting in on the act for this huge potential revenue stream for opera - There is another opera in cinema evening this Tuesday Rigoletto live from the ROH in Castlebar and I think 2 or 3 other cinemas around the country Gorey and Dungarvan. http://www.mayomovieworld.ie/article.php?sec=Corporate

it was very good. better than the dreadful traviata from met on saturday. don't know why none of the Dublin cinemas have locked into this other distribution channel yet. apparently contractually if a cinema takes the Met they can't take any other opera broadcasts.

it was very good. better than the dreadful traviata from met on saturday. don't know why none of the Dublin cinemas have locked into this other distribution channel yet. apparently contractually if a cinema takes the Met they can't take any other opera broadcasts.

I am not sure on that contractual issue- Omniplex are showing the MET broadcast and now advertising Australian Opera. Though the Australian ones are not live broadcasts but filmed versions shown later. Maybe that gets round the broadcast clause.

Could be though I'm not sure - the manager at MMW told me they had to have one or the other - but I guess you might be right - about the"live" issue - personally I prefer the replays or encores as the Met calls them - no need for the long intervals, no sunspots on the satelite or loss of pic or sound at key moments, I am alway on tenter hooks at these live broadcasts rarely do they run through with absolutely no glitches.

Could be though I'm not sure - the manager at MMW told me they had to have one or the other - but I guess you might be right - about the"live" issue - personally I prefer the replays or encores as the Met calls them - no need for the long intervals, no sunspots on the satelite or loss of pic or sound at key moments, I am alway on tenter hooks at these live broadcasts rarely do they run through with absolutely no glitches.

Just checked again with Omniplex and the Australian Opera are only in selected cinemas Carlow Kilkenny Wexford Tralee etc - not in limerick or Dublin as far as I can make out - so maybe the Met only policy is correct.

Bit of a nuisance they are not in Limerick, means a bit of a drive for me .

• Advertisement

I think some of the funds should be directed at funding opera in the regional opera houses of countries they are being beamed into - this would make it healthy for the growth of opera globallyh -

Indeed. And during all the bla bla bla involved in these broadcasts they always say that even though the cinema is wonderful nothing beats the real thing, so please come to the MET. And if you can't come to the MET please support your local opera company.

What local company?? When I went to Anna Bolena people actually booed when Renee Fleming said that.

I have no idea of the standard as I know nothing about the company .

Saw them do the best Boheme I have ever seen in mid to late 90s in Sydney -but maybe the $6 a bottle for Oz champagne in the interval and overlooking Syndey harbour has blurred my memory of the evening. Truly memorable evening. I think at the time I was with a woman I loved.....but it was a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kilgore

Just checked again with Omniplex and the Australian Opera are only in selected cinemas Carlow Kilkenny Wexford Tralee etc - not in limerick or Dublin as far as I can make out - so maybe the Met only policy is correct.

Bit of a nuisance they are not in Limerick, means a bit of a drive for me .

Opera Australia Boheme is in Stillorgan Tuesday 24'th
    They also have ROH Butterfly 3D Encore on Mon May 7
    The sound is usually poor there.

Anyone any experience of Holland Park Opera ? Production quality, voices, orchestra, venue ?
    In Michelin Guide parlance: Worth a trip, worth a detour, interesting ? Or even avoid....

(BTW, Westip, agree on Hvorostovsky's 'acting' : saw him as Rigoletto a few years ago, and to see him, a big man, crouching, crabbing around the stage, and gurning, was truly laughable. His voice is really superb though - closing my eyes, his performance was excellent.)

Anyone any experience of Holland Park Opera ? Production quality, voices, orchestra, venue ?
    In Michelin Guide parlance: Worth a trip, worth a detour, interesting ? Or even avoid....

(BTW, Westip, agree on Hvorostovsky's 'acting' : saw him as Rigoletto a few years ago, and to see him, a big man, crouching, crabbing around the stage, and gurning, was truly laughable. His voice is really superb though - closing my eyes, his performance was excellent.)

HPO on a par with ETO, OTC and other smaller companies - use a lot of young talent - its opera in a tented theatre basically, went once years ago - not great - I think it was a cosi. Go along if in in London, personally I wouldn't build a trip around it. but it mayi have improved.

I go quite frequently- agree with WestTipp- I would'nt build a trip round it but if you are in London it is well worth a visit - it is in a big tent and that is all part of the Summer Charm - it usually starts around 7 so the sun is shining and everone in the best Summer get-up and lovely salad at the interval. Qute a high standard also and always a very interesting repetoire, I saw ( I am nearly sure in was HPO)Francisca Da Rimini by Zandonai there a few years back and it was excellent.

As Jack used to say -give it a lash- you won't be disappointed.

I know this is probably an unanswerable question: I want to go to one opera this year in Wexford, and can't decide between L'Arlesiana and A Village Romeo and Juliet (I can only go on a Friday night and these are the only two possibilities).
    Can anybody advise? Does anybody know these operas? I've heard a couple of pieces by Delius and found them quite boring. I hardly know any of Cilea's music, apart from a couple of arias.

Monteverdi's Orfeo, from Opera Theatre Company at a theatre near you in June :

http://www.opera.ie/Productions/currentproductions.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Elina Garanca and hubby at the Barbican in October. http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=13022

Will be going to the Delius in Wexford. Que sera sera.
    I succumbed to temptation and picked up a second hand copy of the Mackerras recording from Ebay. It arrived yesterday will listen to it soon.
    I can't decide whether that was a good idea or not. Last year I went to the Polish opera and it was so refreshing to see an opera I didn't know anything about - no preconceptions, no expectations. I just wanted to know what was going to happen next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement