Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opera in Ireland - general discussion thread on all things opera in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Monteverdi's Orfeo, from Opera Theatre Company at a theatre near you in June :

http://www.opera.ie/Productions/currentproductions.htm

Great to see OTC coming to the new Ballina Arts Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

Does anybody reckon they will be going to see this:

http://www.bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/tristan-and-isolde.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Does anybody reckon they will be going to see this:

http://www.bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/tristan-and-isolde.html[/QUOTE]

Yeah , provided it dos'nt clash with something else I will probably give it a lash. If it is the Welsh National staging of 1o years ago and revived this Summer , then it is a great production.

This venue is the old Point I take it ??

marienbad wrote: »

This venue is the old Point I take it ??

No, it's the Grand Canal Theatre.

No, it's the Grand Canal Theatre.

Ok, Thanks, hav'nt been there yet , how is it for opera ?

It's fine if you sit in the stalls. I don't know what the sound is like in the other parts of the theatre.
    I've seen 3 operas there - La Boheme, Rigoletto and Giulio Cesare, each time I sat in the stalls. The Handel got a bit lost as the hall is huge. I'd say T&I won't have that problem.....

It's fine if you sit in the stalls. I don't know what the sound is like in the other parts of the theatre.
    I've seen 3 operas there - La Boheme, Rigoletto and Giulio Cesare, each time I sat in the stalls. The Handel got a bit lost as the hall is huge. I'd say T&I won't have that problem.....

Thanks for the info- a bit like the National Concert Hall then - if you don't gets rows K,L or M the sound diminishes.

Do you know who or what orchestra they use for these productions ?

From the theatre website:
    "Featuring the chorus of Wide Open Opera and the 85-member RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Fergus Sheil."

Does anybody know anything about Fergus Sheil? Is he up to conducting T&I? By the same token, are the NSO up to playing it?

Lakme from Australian Opera on in some omniplex cinemas this coming tuesday , I will give it a go , A bit of a hike down and back to Tralee but then supporting opera is always a bit of a trial .

• Advertisement

Box on the docks as I call it. I don't like the theatre for opera but this is only based on one visit to the cheap seats in the gods for SNO rigoletto. Agree with GP the size of the theatre loses a lot of intimacy - having said that if the voices are good and the orchestral playing good it should be able to carry Tristan, for anything more intimate agree with GP sit as close as possible. I wouldn't miss a Wagner opera in Ireland - we get so little of his great all consuming music drama and as Tristan is in my top five all time greatest operas ever written why would I miss this one. Personally I like to be engulfedin the volume of the music - and would want to sit as close as possible. But that is for total immersion of the mind body and soul into this sublime work of art!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

A decent winter season in prospect at the Belfast GOH : Otello, Zauberflote, La Clemenza di Tito, Dido and Aeneas, and Die Fliegende Hollander.

Down in Bailoutland, Aida from Lyric in the Gaiety, and Tristan and Isolde in the GCT seem to be the meagre pickings. Maybe a reduction in opera productions was in the fineprint of the Troika's conditions to us.

A decent winter season in prospect at the Belfast GOH : Otello, Zauberflote, La Clemenza di Tito, Dido and Aeneas, and Die Fliegende Hollander.

Down in Bailoutland, Aida from Lyric in the Gaiety, and Tristan and Isolde in the GCT seem to be the meagre pickings. Maybe a reduction in opera productions was in the fineprint of the Troika's conditions to us.

Indeed meagre pickings. There appears to be no cohesion on how the money (the very meagre money) from the arts council will be spent on Opera - our best little opera company OTC seem to have been shafted. Cullen left a disgraceful legacy from his time as Minister.

Could you give some more info on the Belfast GOH , I can only find Zauberflote ?

Could you give some more info on the Belfast GOH , I can only find Zauberflote ?

Dutchman is from NI Opera in February. Exact date to be announced.
    The other 3 are from Opera North:
    http://www.operanorth.co.uk/
    Filter the results by Region selecting Belfast and you can see the dates.

A very decent selection for a small 'provincial' theatre.

Also, for Dublin, I think I did read somewhere that NI Opera will restage its Hansel and Gretel from last year but not sure of any details. Saw it in Belfast. OK, not great.

Also, for Dublin, I think I did read somewhere that NI Opera will restage its Hansel and Gretel from last year but not sure of any details. Saw it in Belfast. OK, not great.

yes good to see ON returning to Belfast with its repertoire on tour - means we can benefit from UK AC funding and see some subsidised opera rather than paying exhorbitant prices in the box on the docks.

• Advertisement

Thanks , I know where I will be next March :)

Surprised no one has given the thumbs up to OTC's Orfeo.

After some dodgy productions lately, it is their best job for some years (since the various Handel 3-4 years ago).

The staging was excellent, dynamic and good looking, the cast of young singers all did well, and best, the band of period instruments (except the unpleasant sounding smallest keybord one - I dont know its name but it spoiled the music a bit for me whenever it was used). And, previously unknown to me, the splendid music of Monteverdi. Despite its antiquity and relative rarity, I would think more easily accessible to the occasional opera listener than Handel for example. A very good choice by OTC.

Only a few dates left, but try not to miss out on a treat, and support good opera work in Ireland when it is there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Surprised no one has given the thumbs up to OTC's Orfeo.

After some dodgy productions lately, it is their best job for some years (since the various Handel 3-4 years ago).

The staging was excellent, dynamic and good looking, the cast of young singers all did well, and best, the band of period instruments (except the unpleasant sounding smallest keybord one - I dont know its name but it spoiled the music a bit for me whenever it was used). And, previously unknown to me, the splendid music of Monteverdi. Despite its antiquity and relative rarity, I would think more easily accessible to the occasional opera listener than Handel for example. A very good choice by OTC.

Only a few dates left, but try not to miss out on a treat, and support good opera work in Ireland when it is there.

I agree - I thought they did brilliantly in Tallaght on Tuesday night. A wonderful performance by both singers and instrumentalists, and an excellent translation. Normally I'm not terribly fond of operas in English, since they lack something for me, but I thought whoever worked on l'Orfeo did a magnificent job.

The keyboard instrument you're thinking of is called a Regal. It's a small, portable, brass-reed organ. It hasn't got the most beautiful of sounds, admittedly, but they were quite popular in the Renaissance and Early Baroque period to which Montiverdi belonged :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 e naper

Hi Everyone,

We are holding our annual opera for the 13th consecutive year here at Loughcrew House and Gardens, Oldcastle Co. Meath.

This years performance will take place Friday 20th and Saturday the 21st July. We are pleased to present "The Marriage of Figaro" produced by Opera a La Carte and directed by the renowned Nicholas Heath. There will be a contemporary circus act by Fidget Feet warming up the evenings events.

The evenings entertainment will all take place within a specially constructed circular marquee set in the stunning surroundings of Loughcrew gardens.

Tickets are usually sold out quite quickly in the weeks running up to the event but are currently available on the website www.loughcrew.com/opera_booking.html or via telephone at +353 049 85 41356

http://www.bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/tristan-and-isolde.html

sorry I missed the Orfeo - out of the country most of the time it was on glad to hear the positive comments - I hear Tristan is being advertised on RTE radio. Prices as ever a bit steep - but it is five hours of lush Wagner so worth it in my book.

• Advertisement

Anybody going to the Opera in the Park series? I missed the first one last week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

I'm an American who's headed to UCC for an MA in ethnomusicology, but my undergrad degree is in classical voice. I was pretty disappointed to look at the schedule of the Cork Opera House and find only one opera (and a short one at that!), Dido and Aeneas, in their schedule along with a selections concert. Does Cork have any other venues or companies that stage operas on a more regular basis?

-Tyler

Add in Cosi Fan Tutte from OTC. Dates to be announced.

Nozze may have more musical peaks, and Don Gio the more powerful drama, but if I were to be 'condemned' to having to watch the same opera for the rest of my life, Cosi would be my choice; the most perfect opera musically, with impeccable grace and balance throughout.

TAlderson wrote: »
    I'm an American who's headed to UCC for an MA in ethnomusicology, but my undergrad degree is in classical voice. I was pretty disappointed to look at the schedule of the Cork Opera House and find only one opera (and a short one at that!), Dido and Aeneas, in their schedule along with a selections concert. Does Cork have any other venues or companies that stage operas on a more regular basis?

-Tyler

Hi Tyler, I think you will discover that the title Cork Opera House is a bit of a misnomer- I am afraid there is no venue anywhere in Ireland where you can see opera on a more regular basis.:(

Good look with your degree though, you will have great fun and by the time you are finished you will have an extra curricular degree on ''The Irish Pub Voice'' and at no extra cost , bar a few hangovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Hi Tyler, I think you will discover that the title Cork Opera House is a bit of a misnomer- I am afraid there is no venue anywhere in Ireland where you can see opera on a more regular basis.:(

Just wondering, do you think that's because there's no interest from the public in having one, or just a lack of the funds/impetus to run one?

-Tyler

TAlderson wrote: »
    Just wondering, do you think that's because there's no interest from the public in having one, or just a lack of the funds/impetus to run one?

-Tyler

Both I would say- funding was recently cut and in these times I can't see it being reinstated and the public interest is'nt there to put pressure on government. Opera in Ireland is definitely a minority interest even more so that other countries .

So my American Friend as far as opera is concerned you will soon find yourself ''sola, perduta, abbandonatta in lands desolata ! Orror !

I'm getting round to booking Tristan at the Box in the Docks.
    Has anybody booked yet? What night are you going?
    We could meet in the interval.

I'm getting round to booking Tristan at the Box in the Docks.
    Has anybody booked yet? What night are you going?
    We could meet in the interval.

I am sacrificing watching the finale of the Ryder Cup to go on Sunday night - the only night I could do. Looking forward to it immensely, I like the production - from what I can remember relatively unintrusive (thank goodness), Its simply one of the greatest music dramas ever written. For those going for the first time - listen to some of the music beforehand, take in the plot and wait for these highlights:

Tristan and Isolde drinking the love potion towards the end of Act 1

The great duet of Act 2 with Brangenes warning

Act 2 Marks realisation he has been betrayed by Tristan after the discovery scene

Tristans final scene in Act 3

and of course....the grandest female finale to any opera, even surpasses Brunnhildes immolation for me. The Liebestod if sung well and at the end of a good production can move a grown man to tears.

You don't need the Ryder Cup if you have Tristan und Isolde. I have lost count but I think this will be about my 20th Tristan, and I get excited before every performance - it is a very special event for opera in Ireland, don't miss it is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Hi All

I have 2 tickets for Tristan & Isolde (I won them, but I wont be here), so if anyone would like them, let me know by PM and they are yours

For Sunday 30th Sept....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Tazzer wrote: »
    Hi All

I have 2 tickets for Tristan & Isolde (I won them, but I wont be here), so if anyone would like them, let me know by PM and they are yours

For Sunday 30th Sept....

Tickets have been taken now....enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

westtip wrote: »
    You don't need the Ryder Cup if you have Tristan und Isolde. I have lost count but I think this will be about my 20th Tristan, and I get excited before every performance - it is a very special event for opera in Ireland, don't miss it is my advice.
    Having just listened to a Jessye Norman performance of the Liebestod courtesy of George Hamilton I was prompted to sympathise with you. I too will be missing the finale of the Ryder cup as I will be on a plane to London to catch Elina Garanca's concert in the Barbican. For me, Elina's Mon coeur s'ouvre... beats even one straight down the middle. Enjoy T und I.

well how about that then! Miriam Murphy stole the show. will say more tomorrow - but it was worth missin the Ryder Cup live and having avoided the score watchint he highlights on the BBC as if it were "live" it capped off a great evening!

If you haven't booke tickets for either Wednesday or Saturday get on the website now. This wa a memorable performance - go just to hear a new Wagnerian superstar that has landed on the scene.

Damn I really wanna go but I just can't afford to pay €90 :mad: Must see if I can borrow it from someone - who knows when a Wagner will be back in Ireland again?

Damn I really wanna go but I just can't afford to pay €90 :mad: Must see if I can borrow it from someone - who knows when a Wagner will be back in Ireland again?

€15 -35, 45, 65 85 was the price range, yes with the ticketmaster surcharge 90 is the cost of the top priced tickets. This project did get some subvention from the Arts council - so for once ticket prices were actually reasonable enough - the playing time of Tristan is about 4 hours 3o minutes; so for once I don't think the ticket prices were as astronomical as some of the offerings we have had at the box on the docks in the past when top prices have been 125 for things like boheme etc. How much is it for a ticket to a big band at the 02?

Opera is the most expensive format of the performing arts there is. 90 for the top price tickets for tristan is not excessive - yes its not a cheap night out but with prior planning the less expensive tickets made this totally accessible to everyone. Sorry Fluorescence, but if you really wanted to go you would have booked a ticket sometime ago at a price less than 90 euro. I am not sure what the availability is for all prices at the moment - some top priced tickets are still availalbe, and some at 65 (70 with surcharge) for Wednesday night - not sure about saturday, my recommendation though is go if you can - its a good t&l - not the greatest I have seen but yes its worth the trip and thank goodness to see some decent opera in Dublin again.

Review of Tristan Und Isolde

That old adage its never over till the fat lady sings was never so true as last nights performance of Tristan at the grand canal theatre, apologies to Miriam Murphy – size is not the issue – but this performance of Tristan really hinged for me – on the performance of one person – Miriam Murphy last night on a stage in Dublin – has emerged as one of the Wagnerite sopranos of her generation – her Isolde was quite simply sensational. From Act one I felt we were in for something special from this emerging Irish superstar – apparently the first irish woman to play the role of the ill fated Irish princess taken off to cornwall from Ireland by her equally ill fated lover to be Tristan. By the end of the evening we had all drunk her love potion.

I came out of the theatre very excited last night – at long last some international standard opera in Dublin; when I think about it my excitement all came from the climax of the opera; sure this is what Wagner does to us. He sits us there for hours then gives us a ten minute finale that blows your mind away. Miriam Murphys Liebestod was a sensation – loud and clear and beautifully sung with control and a delivery in terms of volume that managed to fill even this barn of a theatre, it truly was a great performance and worth the entry fee just for this.

Last night was about my 20th Tristan – it was good – not brilliant but good.

The opening bars of the first act prelude wanted me to get down in the pit and take a cup of strong coffee to Fergus Shiel – I felt he needed a shot of caffeine to speed things along a little. There are slow opening bars of Tristan and there are snails pace – this was a slow start – a very slow start – but to his credit the tempi did increase slightly later on in the evening. The orchestra was competent but the wind section had a few glitches especially in the last act that did not feel well on the ear.

The production is a borrowed one from Welsh National Opera – its good, unintrusive, well thought through and works for me – I have seen about four different WNO Tristan productions in the past 35 years of opera going – this one is the best. It’s a pity we couldn’t have borrowed the WNO Orchestra – but needs must. The Wide Open Opera company is to be commended for this new strategy of borrowing good quality productions and dropping its own cast on stage and parachuting in the national symphony orchestra into pit – maybe this is the best we can achieve now we have lost Opera Ireland for full scale opera – as long as they stay clear of any production Dieter Kaegi has been involved in it should be a strategy that might deliver.

Ok the rest of the cast? Lars Cleveman as Tristan simply did not have the volume for this theatre, a good voice in the quieter passages, he sang well with his partner – and the second act duet was sublime, in particular at that magical moment of the second warning of Brangene – a part sung very well by another Irish singer Imelda Drumm. Her three warnings in Act 2 were excellent. King Marke, Manfred Hemm – delivered well in voice but acted like a woodentop, Brett Polegato was the best of the men as Kurwenal in particular in Act 3.

I remain a bit sceptical about this 2,000 seat theatre as an opera house, it’s a challenging one for the singers – this was I think the problem for Tristan – but for Isolde well this lady has a got a big big voice and she was the resounding triumph of the evening.

Well done to all concerned. As said about my 20th Tristan – the greatest ever was at Glyndebourne about 4 years ago, prior to that I had to go back to Jon Vickers, Gyneth Jones at Royal Opera house in 1982 to get into my top three Tristans, the first Isolde I ever saw was Linda Esther Gray with a fine Canadian tenor John Mitchenson opposite her; Reginald Goodall was conducting, that was back in 1978. All these three performances got 10/10. Glyndebourne was actually off the stratosphere - possibly the greatest night I have ever spent in an opera house.

Last night was a 10/10 for Isolde but for the total performance 8/10.

Very good worth going to see – whether a committed Wagnerite or not; the music was sublime, the 2nd act duet marvellous, at times Tristan did very well but for me his voice got lost on too many ocassions. The production is well thought through and not risky, the orchestra had its moments but on the whole was good with some miss moments in the winds; I am not convinced by Fergus Sheil as a Wagner maestro. However the overall verdict is definitely try to see it. This Tristan und Isolde will be one we will all remember in the main because it was a night of triumph for Miriam Murphy, she has a big Wagner career ahead of her. Well done to all concerned to deliver this to Dublin.

I agree with everything Westtip says. I'm not even close to being a committed Wagnerian, in fact this was my first ever live Wagner in a theatre. I found the first act very tough going but Act 2 was brilliant, as was Act 3.
    I've just found this on the Irish Times website:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/festival-hub/2012/10/01/review-tristan-und-isolde/

n

€15 -35, 45, 65 85 was the price range, yes with the ticketmaster surcharge 90 is the cost of the top priced tickets. This project did get some subvention from the Arts council - so for once ticket prices were actually reasonable enough - the playing time of Tristan is about 4 hours 3o minutes; so for once I don't think the ticket prices were as astronomical as some of the offerings we have had at the box on the docks in the past when top prices have been 125 for things like boheme etc. How much is it for a ticket to a big band at the 02?

Opera is the most expensive format of the performing arts there is. 90 for the top price tickets for tristan is not excessive - yes its not a cheap night out but with prior planning the less expensive tickets made this totally accessible to everyone. Sorry Fluorescence, but if you really wanted to go you would have booked a ticket sometime ago at a price less than 90 euro. I am not sure what the availability is for all prices at the moment - some top priced tickets are still availalbe, and some at 65 (70 with surcharge) for Wednesday night - not sure about saturday, my recommendation though is go if you can - its a good t&l - not the greatest I have seen but yes its worth the trip and thank goodness to see some decent opera in Dublin again.

I think you're doing me a disservice by implying I said the tickets were too expensive. They're not - I've paid as much before to see live acts and to bring such a large opera here its a very fair price. However only the €65 and €90 ones are left, which is out of my price range right now. I can't go to the Wednesday one so it's just saturday I'm referring to.

It's annoying but such is life.

sorry thought you you were having a moan about the price of the tickets

Here's Michael Dervans view - exceptionally generous for him!
    Review: Tristan und Isolde
    Bord Gais Energy Theatre

IT WAS the quick-witted Rossini who suggested that Wagner has good moments but bad quarters of an hour. And, to be fair, the passing of time can become a real issue when a Wagner performance is not going well. As another sharp commentator pointed, there are time-filling issues for the singers, too. “Not appearing ridiculous,” wrote Virgil Thomson, “while they stand around waiting for their emotions to be described by the orchestra has always been the acting problem of Wagnerian singers.”

‘A triumph all round’: Tristan und Isolde

Yes, there is killing in Tristan und Isolde. But violent death seems almost incidental in the opera’s scheme of the inevitable. We’re dealing with impossible love, at first unwelcome and resisted, then, courtesy of a love-potion, as full-on as you can imagine. What the singers do is think out loud, and emote. And it takes four hours of music to reach the final death and transfiguration.
    Wide Open Opera’s production would seem at first sight to be both implausible and impossible. The company is new, and this Tristan, its first production, only got the green light of funding – more than €600,000, surely a record for a first grant – from the Arts Council six months ago.

Six of the nine roles are taken by Irish singers, the conductor – WOO’s artistic director Fergus Sheil – is Irish, too, the RTÉ NSO made a welcome return to the opera pit, and Yannis Kokkos’s two-decades-old, tried and tested production – disarmingly simple, but highly effective – was hired in from Welsh National Opera, with Peter Watson directing the revival.

The opening night was a triumph all round. Kerry soprano Miriam Murphy was a vocally resplendent Isolde. Her voice has a natural Wagnerian amplitude, enabling her to ride some of the climaxes as though she hadn’t even had to move out of first gear. Her tone was firm (not a hint of wobbly Wagnerian vibrato), her intonation true, her declamation penetrating, her handling of the closing Liebestod simply thrilling.

Swedish tenor Lars Cleveman was a slightly introverted Tristan, with sometimes a lightness of delivery that, erroneously as it turned out, suggested he mightn’t have the full vocal heft for the role. As a wounded man in Act III he even managed to believably suggest the frailty of a man close to death, making his reinvogoration on Isolde’s return all the more effective.

Imelda Drumm’s Brangäne was compassionate and concerned, Brett Polegato’s Kurwenal impressively sturdy, Manfred Hemm’s King Marke authoritatively noble, and the smaller roles were all well taken.
    Fergus Sheil conducted as to the manor born, paced the music with sensitive care, secured near-perfect balances between voices and orchestra, and coaxed from the RTÉ NSO some of the finest playing I’ve ever heard from them in the opera pit. A Tristan und Isolde to cherish.

Also on Wednesday and
    Saturday
    – Michael Dervan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I was at Tristan last night and it was a great evening. I can't but agree with the general consensus that Miriam Murphy was the outstanding highlight of the whole production. With her superb performance, perhaps we should refer to it as Isolde and Tristan from now on ?

The whole opera is still swimming around in my head today :)

This was my 2nd time seeing Tristan (don't think I will ever match westtip!) and this production mostly surpassed the previous one. Other than a few small qualms with the orchestration, I could not have asked for a better night.

Also it seems WOO / Fergus Shiel have ambitions to bring the ring cycle to Dublin (though not for a few years yet and probably spread out over 4 years):

http://www.the-wagnerian.com/2012/10/a-wagnerian-interview-fergus-sheil.html

davej

• Advertisement

davej wrote: »
    The whole opera is still swimming around in my head today :)

It just eats into your whole body soul and mind doesn't it. I like that phrase swimming in my head. Spot on about how the really great music of Wagner just flows through you like an infectious liquid. There are moments when the music physically and mentally reduce me to a quivering wreck. Drugs, You don't need them when you have Wagner.

I've still got bits of it going round in my head too. And I don't even particularly like Wagner.....

It just eats into your whole body soul and mind doesn't it. I like that phrase swimming in my head. Spot on about how the really great music of Wagner just flows through you like an infectious liquid. There are moments when the music physically and mentally reduce me to a quivering wreck. Drugs, You don't need them when you have Wagner.

There is no denying the astonishing power of his music but the lyrics are another thing though.

not to put a damper on things but I did have a few quibbles- I thought Isolde was - how do I put it- a little bit strained on the higher register and conversely tended to overpower Tristan in the lower, possibly a mirror image of their relationship :).

I thought the orchestra was a bit muted in the first act also. This was on the wednesday.

There is no denying the astonishing power of his music but the lyrics are another thing though.

not to put a damper on things but I did have a few quibbles- I thought Isolde was - how do I put it- a little bit strained on the higher register and conversely tended to overpower Tristan in the lower, possibly a mirror image of their relationship :).

I thought the orchestra was a bit muted in the first act also. This was on the wednesday.

I think she overpowered Tristan because she just has a massive voice, it was amzing how she filled that barn of a theatre. I wasn't massively impressed with the orchestra either and mentioned some glitches in the winds I also thought the first act was taken at very slow pace...to the point of - please move things along a bit. The point is though Marien this was a good Tristan und Isolde all round; and hats off to WOO for getting this project to a stage in Dublin; for my take the Isolde gave a stand out performance, I hope she goes onto greater Wagnerian heights - I think she will.

I think she overpowered Tristan because she just has a massive voice, it was amzing how she filled that barn of a theatre. I wasn't massively impressed with the orchestra either and mentioned some glitches in the winds I also thought the first act was taken at very slow pace...to the point of - please move things along a bit. The point is though Marien this was a good Tristan und Isolde all round; and hats off to WOO for getting this project to a stage in Dublin; for my take the Isolde gave a stand out performance, I hope she goes onto greater Wagnerian heights - I think she will.

Yeah, I would'nt disagree with any of this , but part of being a great performer is having the ability to modulate the voice so as no to overpower the partner. Terfel does is all the time but can still project and be heard.

Initially I thought Tristan was just too lightweight , until act 3 when he was outstanding without anyone to drown him out.

But these are all small quibbles- it was an outstanding night and bodes well for the future . If this can be staged then so can Tannhauser Parsifal Lohengrin.

Interesting you call it a ''barn of a theatre'' - the capacity is 2100, the ROH is 2200 and ENO 2300 and The MET just under 4000. The acoustics are done by - Arup sound labs - possibly the best in the business. What did you make of the sound ? This was my first time in this theatre so I can't compare to other performances .

Interesting you call it a ''barn of a theatre'' - the capacity is 2100, the ROH is 2200 and ENO 2300 and The MET just under 4000. The acoustics are done by - Arup sound labs - possibly the best in the business. What did you make of the sound ? This was my first time in this theatre so I can't compare to other performances .

The theatre seems so big but those comparisons maybe mean I am being too harsh - yes I was aware Arup did the sound and they are a good company, I don't know I might start warming to the place, first time was at the back of the balcony for the SNO Rigoletto, I missed other operas in there, but have heard the sound is not great if you are under one of the overhanging sections - either in the stalls or circle. I was in very good front row of dress circle for Tristan and the sound was very good, maybe I am being too harsh.

Look it was a very good T&L and yes He (Tristan) was good in the third act; I just think MM was the star of the night and that seems to be the general consensus - but if we can have more opera of this high standard - in Dublin then there is hope for the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi guys
    Im a fairly new convert to Opera, and Ivve about 30 opers downloaded onto my ipod which Im enjoying, but I have not listened to any Wagner.
    I just have this general impression that he is very heavy.
    I like to listen to beautiful music, that is why I started listening to opera.
    For a newbie like myself, what is the most accessible/beautiful wagner opera I should check out?

Definitely The Flying Dutchman

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi guys
    Im a fairly new convert to Opera, and Ivve about 30 opers downloaded onto my ipod which Im enjoying, but I have not listened to any Wagner.
    I just have this general impression that he is very heavy.
    I like to listen to beautiful music, that is why I started listening to opera.
    For a newbie like myself, what is the most accessible/beautiful wagner opera I should check out?

Look I am nuts about Wagner but sitting down in the living room and listening to an entire ring Cycle would even be a challenge for me!

There are plenty of "best bits" highlight type CDS knocking around - I had one once for the car a 40 minute CD with the "best of the Ring on it" thats condensing about 18 hours opera into 40 minutes. it was great fun!

You may have read about the recent Tristan in Dublin - look around for a highlights CD and try that - It will give you a great flavour of that opera.

There are plenty of compilation best bits of Wagner CDs around try one or two and listen to them, I wouldn't dive into one opera to begin with maybe try bits of the Ring Cycle. You will find something if you google it.

WFO is upon us - anyone going this year? I wasnt planning too due to other commitments but may make it for one night. Village Romeo and Juliet looks interesting - I saw it in a revival about 32 years ago (OMG how sad is that) in Leeds when Opera North did it - people maybe familiar with the orchestral interlude - If my memory serves me right A walk in the paradise garden. but 32 years ago is a long time...I think I can realistically only make one night - but will have to look at the calendar.

I'm going to the Delius on the 26th. Wow, that's next Friday!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement