Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera in Ireland - general discussion thread on all things opera in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

What a lovely picture you've conjured up in our heads! Enjoy it, and listen to another opera (& rioja) tomorrow night!

Enjoy the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

westtip wrote: »
    Not sure I fully see your point here jonny

What I'm trying to say is that a two week festival cannot be expected to provide the bread and butter for Irish musicians. That is the job of regular year-round companies and ensembles.
    Even if the Wexford Festival were to have a policy of employing only Irish people for everything (and is that really the festival we want?), then how much employment would they really provide? Six weeks max. What about the rest of the year?

A two week festival isn't even the icing on the cake. It's the cherry on the icing on the cake. The trouble is that in Ireland there isn't really a cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

What I'm trying to say is that a two week festival cannot be expected to provide the bread and butter for Irish musicians. That is the job of regular year-round companies and ensembles.
    Even if the Wexford Festival were to have a policy of employing only Irish people for everything (and is that really the festival we want?), then how much employment would they really provide? Six weeks max. What about the rest of the year?

A two week festival isn't even the icing on the cake. It's the cherry on the icing on the cake. The trouble is that in Ireland there isn't really a cake.

Jonny yes I see your point - being a bit dim when I read your original comment, and you are quite right in your analysis. Festivals do tend to be a cobbling together of a band, and actually i think it adds to the flavour of a festival that an orchestra comes in from outside (although the Belarussian crowd at Wexford did not add much exotic value!) I have not been trawling for opera news in Ireland for this summer - actually I don't think there is much (anything) going on of a reasonable quality or at a reasonable price. I think the days of charging 100 euro for opera in a tent in the middle of nowhere in Ireland have gone by the wayside, along with all our money into Nama... The Carrick on Shannon festival last month had no opera - and they have for the past few years (usually an invited touring company like OTC or English Touring opera), in fact that festival seems to have been much cut back in size - this seems to be a trend festivals are much smaller in terms of length of time, quality of performances they on offer etc.

I will have a check out and see what there is we can drag up t recommend (or at least point out!) but I think this July and August will be pretty barren for opera in ireland - and not even any opera in cinema on offer that I can see. I will have to stick to my rioja, headphones and Radio 3 with the proms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

The Autumn looks gloomy in Ireland as far as I can see. OI have Tosca, but there is no mention yet of what the second production will be. Nor any mention from OTC of an Autumn production. Nor any sign of visitors to GTC, Belfast, or Helix from any overseas visitors. No visits from the UK planned until the spring as far as I know. Lyric has its semi concert Traviata in the NCH.
    The landscape looks very barren - we really are in the wrong country if Opera is your interest.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    The Autumn looks gloomy in Ireland as far as I can see. OI have Tosca, but there is no mention yet of what the second production will be. Nor any mention from OTC of an Autumn production. Nor any sign of visitors to GTC, Belfast, or Helix from any overseas visitors. No visits from the UK planned until the spring as far as I know. Lyric has its semi concert Traviata in the NCH.
    The landscape looks very barren - we really are in the wrong country if Opera is your interest.

Only really Wexford then to loook forward to - I think both OI and OTC are both in limbo thanks to Martin e-voting cullen signing his ministerial order for the formation of a new opera company and then leaving his post for health reasons, if the Tosca from OI is the production they did a few years back it was pretty dire. Unfortunately Opera is going to be so far down the pecking order in the new financial regime that I do fear the worst - and there are some horror stories coming from the UK on cuts in Arts spending. A diet of opera in cinema - which has its place but is not like going to the theatre and what you have mentioned Sandwich looks about it for Autumn. I am deffo going off to Cardiff again in october for WNO Fidelio and one or two others - which escape my mind as I write.

• Advertisement

Just spent the last week in Wexford.

At the opera house I saw a sublime Barber of Seville (taped at the Opera Real in Madrid), but there were very few people there. They were supposed to be showing another batch of opera movies in August but they've been cancelled as they were so badly attended. At the beginning they were charging 40 to get in, which is ridiculous. The price is now 20 but word obviously got out that it was very expensive and people lost interest.

Off the topic of opera, I took my kids to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the GCT and we all absolutely loved it. There were a few too many silly dance routines, but the production was fabulous. I'd say it's the most amazing stage spectacle I've ever seen.

Just spent the last week in Wexford.

Off the topic of opera, I took my kids to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the GCT and we all absolutely loved it. There were a few too many silly dance routines, but the production was fabulous. I'd say it's the most amazing stage spectacle I've ever seen.

Was thinking of going to the Wednesday matinee for the cheap tickets but could not get any I heard from others it has a wow factor but reluctant to pay 50 bucks for kids for all others but glad you enjoyed it!

Sorry about the poor attendances for the opera cinematic things at ~Wexford 40 bucks for the opera in cinema is crazy money!!!

Got an email today to advise that Castlebar Mayomovieworld is the latest cinema to be going down the MetOpera route for opera in cinema - this means in the west Castlebar, Galway and Sligo are now venues for the Met Opera shows - I am not sure its sustainable and thought Castlebar had carved out a niche for itself going with the opera in cinema distributor showing opera from various European houses. We shall see... how it works out.

I see there is one of those ghastly outdoor conerts in Bray next week with Carreras - I've posted my views on that one in the thread about it. I just cannot buy into those types of events.

This looks very interesting from out innovative national opera company, Opera Theatre Company. I will deffo be checking this one out.

http://www.opera.ie/Productions/currentproductions.htm

I wish OT well on this one, very brave to tour it to so many venues, opening at the Peacock stage at the Abbey on September 10 and 11 (personally even though a long journey for me - this looks like the venue to see it - very intimate), the only other venue I am familiar with on the list is Galway town hall - has any other opera thread reader got any views on the other venues they are playing at - see the list here:

http://www.opera.ie/Productions/currentproductions.htm#BookNow

Feeling guilty that I should support their adventure but just can't muster the interest for Anne Frank.

On the theatres Westtip, have been to : An Tain Dundalk - modern, but small and basic small town theatre. Solstice Navan is very nice, a decent size and nicely shaped - ideal OTC regional venue. Neither has a pit of course.

And, a long way away, but English Touring Opera return to Belfast next spring with Il Tabarro and La Clemenza di Tito.

• Advertisement

Feeling guilty that I should support their adventure but just can't muster the interest for Anne Frank.

On the theatres Westtip, have been to : An Tain Dundalk - modern, but small and basic small town theatre. Solstice Navan is very nice, a decent size and nicely shaped - ideal OTC regional venue. Neither has a pit of course.

And, a long way away, but English Touring Opera return to Belfast next spring with Il Tabarro and La Clemenza di Tito.

Thanks Sandwich, I hope to make it to the Peacock, I think its intimate nature will add to the claustrophobia of the Frank's attic. I will be looking for one of those nights of theatre drama (that just happens to be operatic) that OTC create with these kind of events. The Fidelio in kilmainham jail a few years ago was such an event. I am concerned about the level of support this event will pull on tour, but OTC are a brave company and their theatrical standards are very high, I hope they pull it off. Try it for one night - this kind of creative thinking needs support.

I guess some will come to see another take on one of the most important autobiographical books of the twentieth century, The 1959 George Steven film I guess is the classic adaptation - but i didn't realise there had been so much more committed to film and TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_about_Anne_Frank

On another subject, I don't think much seems to be coming from the grand plan left in the wake of Martin "e-voting" Cullens short tenure at Arts Sports and Tourism. That's another fine mess you got us into comes to mind as the stock phrase for some of our politicians involved in the arts. It seems his legacy is destined to be old computers in a warehouse somewhere off the M50 I guess.

In today's Irish Times it says that Anne Frank is going to be OTC's last production.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0827/1224277689747.html

Well done Cullen.

Incompetenza
    Ossia, Il Fiasco in Irlanda.

Opera Buffa in Due Atti

Musica di M. Cullen

Opera Buffa???
    Penso che è tragedia lirica.

This truly is a sad day for opera in ireland. If Martin E-voting Cullen reads this thread or anyone who knows him reads this let it be known that his only legacy politically will be the e-voting machines he squandered our money on.

In the stroke of a pen before he left office this man has single handedly despatched the most creative live performing arts company this country had. OTC where not just an opera company - they were a theatre company.

They did not deserve to be summarily despatched by a buffoon like Cullen

Instead of building around the talented people we had at OTC this buffoon who probably never knowingly went to the opera voluntarily committed an act of vandalism.

He should be ashamed of himself. His last act for opera was a tragedy he was a disaster as as transport minister he was a destroying fool as minister of arts.

Lets hope we never witness the likes of his idiocy again. This truly is a sad day.

Cullen you are a bloody idiot and shame on you for this act of vandalism.

Lets hope we never witness the likes of his idiocy again.

Something tells me we probably will.....

Indeed - this plan though was ill thought out - and should hav been put on the back burner by the incoming minister

Indeed - this plan though was ill thought out - and should hav been put on the back burner by the incoming minister

All plans in this country are ill thought-out, or they're not thought out at all. NAMA, Anglo-Irish, the Metro etc etc. Why should this one be any different.

I can't even remember who the incoming minister is.

Jonn its Mary Hanafin but forge this small little country anyone out there enjoying Rigoletto tonight - interesting concept. Domingo truly is an artist of incredible talent with the most amazimng career. I have been very very very lucky to have witnessed live in an opera house his Rodolfo (79), cavarodossi (83), Des Grieux (Lescaut - mid 80s), dick Johnson (mid 80s), and wow wow wow his Otello (twice in the 80s and 90s an the oh my god his Siegmund (three years ago), Simon Boccanegra (last year) This man truly is the operatic artist of the last 100 years. this is an amazing rigoletto I am going to enjoy my brunch tomorrow!!!!!

How is the Rigoletto viewable in this operaless country of ours?
    I only ever saw Domingo once, more years ago than I care to remember, as Otello at CG. Quite unforgettable.

• Advertisement

Just watched Karita Mattila sing Strauss' Four Last Songs at the Proms with the Berlin Phil. I thought she wobbled a bit too much in the first song but the last three were amazing.
    That'll be the day when they have a live broadcast of a concert on RTE.....

I only ever saw Domingo once, more years ago than I care to remember, as Otello at CG. Quite unforgettable.

Phenomenal - do you remember the excitment of his entry in the first act, with that breaking storm. My god what a presence this man has on stage. This Rigooletto is an interesting experience, havign to wait for his vendata over Sunday morning coffee is an interesting idea.

JOnny forget about seeing opera of any value artistically now in Ireland - cullen killled off our most creative company and the new regime will offer nothing.

Phenomenal - do you remember the excitment of his entry in the first act, with that breaking storm. My god what a presence this man has on stage.
    JOnny forget about seeing opera of any value artistically now in Ireland - cullen killled off our most creative company and the new regime will offer nothing.

I remember it like it was yesterday. In fact I remember the acting more than I remember the singing.
    As for opera, I still have Wexford to look forward to. Am going to Virginia and Hubicka this year. I actually have Hubicka on a CD. The story is total rubbish but the music is lovely. I don't know anything about Virginia.

Not opera, but I got saw on facebook yesterday that the Palladium production of The Sound of Music is coming to the GCT around Easter. I'll probably take the kids to see it as they love the movie.

Any OTC people around here? (or Martin Cullen ?)

Does anyone know the finances of OTC or similar company? What was their subsidy? Is an independent commercial future for such a company not viable at all, even with the public service obligation to visit too-small regional towns removed, and a focus on a handful of larger population centre theatres around the country : Dublin,Wexford,Cork, Limerick, Galway, Belfast. I find it hard to accept that structured correctly and well marketed, there is not enough opera interest on the island to sustain a touring opera company offering three or four operas per year on that circuit.

Is there any touring component to the new amalgamation or are we back to the dark ages of 2 or 3 productions annually in the Gaiety?

(BTW : is there anything on the 'even' nights of the Autumn Tosca in the Gaiety?)

How is the Rigoletto viewable in this operaless country of ours?

I've just watched that second act - I thnk the issue is that Domingo is not the greatest Rigoletto of our time - that honour is Paulo Gavenelli's IMO, but its the totatility of domingos Career. Quite astounding - here we have someone I personally first heard doing the likes of Rodolfo and Cavaradossi 30 years ago - his voice grew to the greatest Otello I am ever likley to hear - his Siegfried at the ROH was astounding - his venture into Simon Boccanegra on every major stage and now this. Its the sheer stage presence and acting ability he has - truly for me the greatest operatic performer of the last 50 years. Total committment, total submersion in his characters, adventurous in what he is willing to do - this project is an immense achievement yes its multi media international etc etc - but as my children would say totally brilliant.

truly for me the greatest operatic performer of the last 50 years.

Are these deliberately chosen words Westtip ? Certainly, he did not match him for dramatic acting, range, and role portrayal - but simply for tenor voice, I would still favour Pavarotti above Domingo. I admit though, that I tend to a music-first, drama-second viewpoint, despite opera's history as 'musical theatre', with 'theatre' being the noun.

Are these deliberately chosen words Westtip ? Certainly, he did not match him for dramatic acting, range, and role portrayal - but simply for tenor voice, I would still favour Pavarotti above Domingo. I admit though, that I tend to a music-first, drama-second viewpoint, despite opera's history as 'musical theatre', with 'theatre' being the noun.

Yes indeed greatest operatic performer largely due to the immense range of roles he has now mastered. Yes I agree about the voice, though I am not one of these Domingo or Pavorotti choosers, the latter had the sweetest bel canto tenor voice I ever heard, and I was very very lucky to have heard him sing live in the ROH on several occassions, pure and divine voice. My point about Placido is the wonderment at such a career - You don't expect a Rodolfo you are listening to now - to be doing Siegfried 30 years later, or Simon Boccanegra or Rigoletto. As for absorbing oneself in the role -yes he is the greatest, Pavorotti always was himself on stage; Pavorotti first the character second but still a wonderful voice, Domingo was Otello, he was Rodolfo he was Dick Rance, he was Cavaradossi - Siegfried, Simon boccanegra and now tonight he was the crazed vengeful twisted bitter man that is Rigoletto. Great stuff though from both of them over the years! Wasn't that project on Rigoletto a really great achievement.

Opera Ireland booking now for Tosca in November.

http://www.operaireland.ie/

It does seem there is only one offering this season - nothing on the 'even' nights. So with no OTC and only one OI production, the airport looks like the best route to see some opera this Autumn. A national embarrassment really.

The airport or the N11. That's about it. How did I end up living in the only opera-less country in Europe??

• Advertisement

Opera Ireland booking now for Tosca in November.

http://www.operaireland.ie/

A national embarrassment really.

Yes another great achievement of Martin E voting cullen. This achievement will go unnoticed and uncared about by the vast majority. Getting rid of OTC at the stroke of a pen was an act of vandalism by a man who knew nothing about what this company had achieved for opera goers in Ireland. OI is a shambles and no "great national opera company" is going to arise from its ashes. I don't think I will bother with this Tosca, if its the production they did a few years ago - forget it. I have seen too many good (ney great performances of this opera) to want to spoil the pleasure of this masterpiece by witnessing the shambles of OI.

Unless we get the cheapest seats and have an opera boards meet up at one of the performances.

There is some good stuff going the other side of the water - but the axe is about to fall there too. We are indeed entering dark operatic days in Ireland.

Advertisement