Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Adapt Account Cheque Book?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I moved from AIB to Ulster Bank's Adapt Account for the Visa Debit Card.

Is it possible to get a cheque book w/o Cheque guarantee card with an Adapt (youth) account? I need one quite badly but no bank will give it to me.

Cheers

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you're under 18, I don't think a bank will issue a chequebook to you. If you need to give someone a cheque, you can go into your local branch and get a draft made out to whoever you're paying. If it's a youth account, they probably won't charge you commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Thats what I thought. At the moment I get drafts but it doesn't really work. It's to pay VAT & customs on parcels from China so I have to ring up at 9 to find out how much it is. Then run down to my local bank (10 minutes) get the draft then run back home. The courier comes at around 9.30 so its very tight.

Is there any legal reason they can't give me a chequebook. Do they have to guarantee cheques to a certain amount even witout issueing a cheque guarantee card? The reason I ask is under 18 can get them in UK so why not here.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Adapt A/c does not allow chq books.

As said, go get a draft for the amount. If you miss the courrier he should come back the next day to try deliver again and you'll atleast have the chq for the 2nd delivery attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Adapt A/c does not allow chq books.

As said, go get a draft for the amount. If you miss the courrier he should come back the next day to try deliver again and you'll atleast have the chq for the 2nd delivery attempt.

Does anyone know of any bank that would give me one?

As I get parcels a good few times a week and need it for other things as well.

Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK Irish banks won't issue a chequebook to an under 18 year old, I'm not aware of any that offer this service. Do either of your parents/guardians have chequebooks? If so, could they give one of their cheques, and you could give them back the money later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

A Cheque Guarantee only covers cheques to the value of €130 per day and the bank dont/wont guarantee any cheque you write over that. when you use the cheque card its basicly you saying that yes you have the money to cover the cheque and you guaranteeing to pay it even if you dont. The bank will pay the cheque if you have the money or not.

As for under 18s not allowed cheque books here in Ireland its because cheques are classed as a form of lending and can cause the customer to get into debt so its illegal to lend to someone under 18 here in Ireland, Uk different country different rules.
    Besides cheques are an old dated method of payment its time they are gotten rid of, stamp duty should be 2 euro a cheque.

Maybe the revenue can invoice you or give you details of an account you can pay into and you can pay it online or over the phone with a debit or credit card.

Richie,

I agree with you cheques are outdated. I can pay for the vat by laser but this involves ringing up being put on hold for 20 minutes then being told I would get a ring back. Then ringing the next day and same thing,

Why you can't pay it online via laser or visa is beyond me but I spose I should get used to it in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You sound very mature for your age, paying customs and VAT by Laser etc.

Why don't you just give your parents the cash, and get one of them to write a cheque - I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

According to the Ulster Bank Website :

'Once you are 16 you can ask for a cheque book.'

'Cheque guarantee cards are available only to people aged at least 18.'

As others have said maybe cheque books aren't issued with an Adapt Account, but there would be no harm in asking for one if you feel you need one. I can see no reason why they wouldn't issue one to you. If the funds aren't in the account when a cheque is presented all they have to do is bounce the cheque & charge you for the privilege!

• Advertisement
Advertisement