Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie issues ref apology

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Shane St. wrote: »

Just like all of the times before this.... disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

disgusting!....while he has always employed diversionary tactics to mask a poor team performance this went too far imo and if the stats are to be believe was also defamatory.
    this kind of public humilation of officials has no place in the game and hopefully the half-assed apology will be seen for exactly what is- an attempt to avoid a well deserved touchline ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Has to get a ban.

Joke if he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Might not be over yet -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/8301213.stm
    Sir Alex Ferguson's apology to referee Alan Wiley for any embarrassment caused by comments the Manchester United boss made about him has been snubbed by Wiley's colleagues.

The referees' union Prospect has threatened to sue Ferguson after his statement of apology seemed to question the fitness of all referees.

Ferguson's apparent bid to escape a Football Association ban for his controversial comments may yet end in failure with Alan Leighton, head of the referees' union, calling for the Scot to be severely punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hilarious!! Sure him for what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A disingenuous apology won't make up for impugning the professional repuatation of Wiley and every other ref by association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

About time for him to apology, the ref did the same tests as the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This apology was to cut the lenght in any fine/ban he was going to get.

He's only apologising to escape a ban of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's only apologising to escape a ban of course.

No he was asked to clarify what he said, which he has done.

Very Easy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Rather than having the focus on a poor performance by his players he'll deflect it by questioning a professional ref's fitness and therefore professionalism.

Hell, he can do it if he wants but it's a bit of a joke given the whole respect thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Shane St. wrote: »

LOL @ that picture.

Looks like Fergie is gonna take a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wiley is too fat for a ref though.

liverpool_01_280x420_25905a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Pretty good article below which details SAF's previous form regarding this sort of behaviour.

I think the only reason he is apologising is to try and reduce the length of the touchline ban he gets. Strange to note that he hasn't apologised to any of the referees he has had issues with before.

Even in his apology he claims that he did not "state or imply that Mr Wiley is a bad referee; that he was in any way biased; that decision-making generally during the game was poor, or that he missed any key incident during the game.” which strikes me as massively feeble.
    Sir Alex Ferguson: sorry seems to be the hardest word

The man in black rarely has a day like this. Sir Alex Ferguson, not noted for his public apologies, was yesterday forced to bow down to a referee and say sorry in excruciating detail. Not just the grumbling acceptance of another touchline ban or FA fine but a full-blown mea culpa for an attack that went too far.

What Manchester United’s manager engaged in after last weekend’s 2-2 draw with Sunderland was hardly clever. Ferguson has a well-practised strategy of distracting attention from unpalatable results by blaming an official, contesting an allegedly key decision, or criticising an aspect of the opposition’s play. Declaring that Alan Wiley “was not fit enough for a game of that standard”, repeating the claim twice more, then implicitly expanding the accusation to the referee’s colleagues by adding that “you see referees abroad who are as fit as butcher’s dogs” brought down the fury of a body of men who’d been hard put upon for years.

First came the official line that the Premier League’s referees benefit from dedicated fitness regimes befitting their professional status; that every game they officiate is carefully monitored, and that every fortnight they are presented with a ProZone analysis of their performances.

Once referees’ chief Keith Hackett could check the numbers provided by the software used by clubs to analyse players’ physical output, the public was made aware that Wiley had covered more Old Trafford miles than the majority of Ferguson’s footballers.

Criticised for awarding a decisive 86th-minute penalty to Chelsea in April 2008,Wiley had been on the receiving end of a Fergie tirade before. A debate over whether a ball had struck Michael Carrick’s shoulder or arm was of quite different degree, however, and the 49-year-old official let it be known that he was considering early retirement over the questioning of his fitness.

As international week progressed, Ferguson seems to have realised that he overstepped the mark. If Wiley’s slightly rotund physique made the referee a relatively easy target, a personal attack that could not be supported by hard stats was impossible to defend. Had Wiley desired, there could even have been legal repercussions. Yesterday morning, Ferguson released a statement on the Manchester United website that attempted to mitigate the damage. “I apologise to Mr Wiley for any personal embarrassment that my remarks may have caused and to the FA for going public with my views,” said Ferguson. “In retrospect, I accept that this could be deemed as expressing those views in an inappropriate forum. It was never my intention to bring the focus of intense media attention on Mr Wiley. I intend to contact him personally after I return from a trip overseas during this international break. I would wish it to be noted that I have always respected Mr Wiley’s integrity and that I did not state or imply that Mr Wiley is a bad referee; that he was in any way biased; that decision-making generally during the game was poor, or that he missed any key incident during the game.”

Former top-flight referee Jeff Winter is sceptical of Ferguson’s remorse, asking why it took the manager seven days to say sorry and if the motivation is to have any FA punishment “watered down”. In Winter’s experience, Ferguson systematically intimidates referees by targeting them for abuse during and after games, while using their decisions as excuses for results that have gone against United.

“If you’re refereeing at Old Trafford in front of 70,000 people, the actions of one person should not intimidate you,” says Winter. “But you’d see Sir Alex storming down to the tunnel at half-time or full-time and for sure he’d been waiting there for you with a volley of foul-mouthed abuse. The language is very, very colourful and despite his age he does present a very intimidating figure.

“Many officials choose to walk past him and shut the dressing room door but the old veins standing out, red-faced scenario is exactly the same in the tunnels. Quite often he used refereeing decisions to deflect attention from his team performances or his selection. I think the problem to referees is that he appears to have a very strong power when it comes to the footballing authorities, and a referee upsetting Sir Alex Ferguson usually backfired more on the match official than it ever did on him.”

Referees, argues Winter, are reluctant to upset Ferguson for fear it will have a negative effect on their career. There is a concern that United matches are not given to referees who draw Ferguson’s ire. “I sent Roy Keane off early in my career and didn’t referee Manchester United for over two years,” says Winter. “In view of the number of games I had of other top teams, you’d ask was that a coincidence. Since I’ve retired, there’s been many examples of referees who’ve had a fallout with Sir Alex and haven’t gone back for a considerable time.”

THE MEN FERGIE LOVES TO HATE FINALLY HEAR THE MAGIC WORD

MARTIN ATKINSON

Who? The referee for Manchester United’s FA Cup quarter-final defeat by Portsmouth in March 2008
    Rant: ‘I'm assessed as a manager – and that [Atkinson’s] performance should not be accepted. Keith Hackett [referees’ chief] has a lot to answer for; he is not doing his job properly. His favourites always get the games and that’s disappointing. That guy will referee next week, no problem’
    Apology? No way, and no FA charge

MARK CLATTENBURG

Who? The referee received an earful at half-time during United’s match at Bolton in November 2007
    Rant: ‘Some referees don’t like the truth but I just told him how bad he was in the first half’
    Apology? None at all, but Fergie was hit with a two-match touchline ban and a £5,000 fine

MIKE DEAN

Who? Official who awarded Hull a penalty and failed to send off Michael Turner as United won 4-3 in November 2008
    Rant: Gary Neville tried to restrain his finger-jabbing boss: ‘The player [Turner] has already been booked so the referee failed in his duty’
    Apology? No. The FA gave him a two-match touchline ban and a £10,000 fine

HERBERT FANDEL

Who? German referee who sent off Paul Scholes in United’s 2-1 away defeat by AS Roma in the 2007 Champions League quarter-final
    Rant: ‘Considering we played with 10 men — mostly against 12 men — for over an hour, this is a good result for us. I don’t think we got a decision all night. In a big game like that, a good referee would not have sent [Scholes] off’
    Apology? You must be joking

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article6869257.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

maybe the referees should just employ zonal marking on Fergie during a game make sure he doesn't cause trouble. If I remember correctly somebody else proposed this idea last season...

also Jeff Winter can go back to his retirement and keep his mouth shut. Never shuts up does he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hmmm....a dossier of fachts about Ferguson and referees..

Since when does Rafa work for the Times?

Archimedes wrote: »
    Hmmm....a dossier of fachts about Ferguson and referees..

Since when does Rafa work for the Times?

what's the point of the article? Fergie criticises refs and gets bans? So does Rafa, Moyes, Wenger, Warnock etc. nothing to see here, if it was any other manager this wouldn't be news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fergie is in a league of of his own when it comes to bullying officials.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Fergie is in a league of of his own when it comes to bullying officials.

Yup. I hear he doesnt even buy his own gum, he makes all the referees give him their lunch money instead and pops down to the shop at lunch time to get some.

• Advertisement

no need to get so defensive Archi.

he can be criticised you know.

a lot of people think he crosses a line with officials, nothing wrong with saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I suppose Ferguson would be a loveable bully if you're a Man Utd fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

The man could be remembered as the greatest manager of all time in the British game but greatness means more than winning things, it's about the way you conduct yourself and ferguson falls down here big time. Here's hoping the FA (at last) see through this apology and he recieves the ban everyone knows he deserves.

.....couple of articles from the last few days
    I SOMETIMES wonder if Sir Alex Ferguson were allowed to referee Manchester United’s home games, he would savage himself in the post-match press conference for being biased, or unfit, or stupid.

It is rare for a match to take place without the Glaswegian impugning some poor sap’s dignity, or ability, or impartiality. Even when his side have won, every decision given against United — a throw-in, a corner, the full-time whistle, the half-time whistle — is a crime against humanity, and the referee will be vilified.

You might well argue that Manchester United have been awarded three extremely fortunate points recently by the most kindly of referees — the extra extra time against Manchester City in a game they did not deserve to win, and the extra time against Sunderland in a game they did not deserve to draw.

But even then Ferguson raged, in the manner of one of those dossers you see standing around a burning mattress on waste ground with a bottle of cheap wine in one hand and a carrier bag holding a half-eaten kebab in the other. A rage against everything, red-faced and bitter, wholly divorced from reality.

Ferguson has apologised to referee Alan Wiley for his latest burst of spite after the Sunderland match — but only, you suspect, because he feared serious censure from the authorities. Chance would be a fine thing; no meaningful punishment has ever been applied to the Manchester United manager: as others have suggested, he is seen as being beyond rebuke.

Ferguson implied — no, sorry, stated, quite clearly — that Wiley was unfit to referee a game of this standard because he was, uh, unfit. “He took 30 seconds every time he booked a player,” Ferguson moaned, implying that Wiley was using these opportunities to catch his breath. Well, no he didn’t; the bookings I saw took on average 15 seconds.

But there is hardly anything more damaging than to suggest a referee isn’t up to it because he’s knackered, other than implying deliberate bias (which was the charge Ferguson flung at Keith Hackett last season, during the Premier League’s “Respect” campaign, a campaign undermined from the very start by Sir Alex. He took not the slightest notice of it).

“It was never my intention to bring the focus of media attention on Mr Wiley,” Ferguson announced yesterday, with all the contrition you might expect from a stoat that has just killed a rabbit, wiping away the blood from its lips.

Yes, it was, mate. That was precisely the intention, to deflect attention from your team’s inept performance against a good and brave Sunderland, who emerged from the match with far less than they deserved. We have seen this spinning before from plenty of managers, notably Sir Alex and, of course, José Mourinho.

Ferguson got the season off to a swing by vilifying the referee during the Charity Shield, Chris Foy. It was, he asserted, Foy’s fault that United had not beaten Chelsea, rather than United’s.

Last season he attacked Phil Dowd for sending off Paul Scholes in the game United lost at Fulham. Scholes had dived across the goal and palmed a shot away with his hand; even Scholes thought it was a perfectly fair cop and made no complaint. It was as justified and exemplary a sending-off as you will ever see. The ref was at fault only for failing to send off Cristiano Ronaldo a little earlier for the usual cheating, kicking and mouthing off. But that tirade of Ferguson’s was another diversionary tactic, I assume.

Rafael Benítez has suggested that Ferguson attempts to influence the course of a game by a “clever” word or two with the referee at half-time. At the least, it seems clear to me that referees feel intimidated at the prospect of officiating at Old Trafford, and that the home side are almost always the beneficiary of this added nervousness.

So here’s what the authorities might do, for a start.

First, ban Ferguson from the touchline for eight matches for his disrespect of Wiley. Second, make it clear that managers are not allowed to talk to referees before, during or after a game, and that there will be a large financial penalty every time they do so. If they have complaints, they can put them in writing, enclosing their evidence. Managers should also be barred from accosting the fourth official, screaming abuse at him, running up to him pointing psychotically to their watches, etc.

Finally, the FA and the Premier League should make it clear that every time a referee is vilified: a) the manager will be fined; and b) the FA will, in extreme cases (such as the Wiley affair), provide financial support for the referee to take legal action for defamation against the manager.

The Respect campaign didn’t work; it was treated as a joke. It is time to get tough.
    Sober, reasoned analysis is almost as difficult to find in English football as pitches that Didier Drogba hasn’t tumbled on. The Premier League has become a place where he who shouts loudest is heard most, with Andy Gray topping the decibel chart on a weekly basis.

The more worldly wise in the game are all too well aware of this, knowing that a diversionary post-match comment can wrong-foot sections of the media as easily as a Cristiano Ronaldo shimmy bamboozles a full back. Which is why Sir Alex Ferguson chose to question the fitness of referee Alan Wiley immediately after Manchester United produced their worst performance of the season to date in their 2-2 home draw against Sunderland.

Fergie knows the beast, he helped create it after all. He also knew full well that a storm of criticism would surely come his way for his team selection, formation and tactics, not to mention the poor form of several big money signings, and so Wiley got it in the neck. It didn’t matter that the referee had enjoyed a decent enough game or that questioning his fitness amounted to little more than an attack on his professionalism, the Staffordshire official had become collateral damage in the United manager’s media war, a battle he has waged with some success for more than two decades.

The most surprising element of all is how many danced to Ferguson’s tune, especially seeing as he didn’t even have the decency to perform it in front of Her Majesty’s press, choosing, as per usual, to speak only to MUTV, the club’s in-house television channel, a platform on which there is about as much chance of his opinions being questioned as there is of a re-run of the 2005 Champions League final being shown.

The media at large cannot complain about Ferguson’s behaviour though, not when it is indulged to such an extent. The fact that he does not have the decency to hold a post match press conference, a duty which is not beyond any of his Premier League counterparts, but still knows he will be quoted by the press without having been subjected to the usual scrutiny, puts him in a position of immense media control.

Similarly, the fact that everyone knew his comments about Wiley were a diversion was not enough to stop them from taking the spotlight away from a poor result and performance. It is media management at its most powerful and for some reason Ferguson gets away with it again and again and again.

The UK press recently stood up to Ken Bates, the Leeds United chairman, when he chose to admit only photographers from Action Images and Varleys, two picture agencies, to his club’s recent Carling Cup clash with Liverpool. In light of this, the national newspapers refused to use any pictures supplied on the basis that the restrictions were impinging on their ability to record game’s events as they saw fit.

No such sanctions have ever been applied to Ferguson, though, and his dealings with the media have a far greater effect on them than anything Bates has ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

kinaldo wrote: »
    I suppose Ferguson would be a loveable bully if you're a Man Utd fan.

Bully? The King speaks the truth, ref's should be slated if they have a crap game imo.

Alan Wiley had a good game.

Ferguson wanted to draw attention away from his teams **** performance so tore Wiley a new arsehole for invented injustices & in the process made Wiley the butt of jokes for the rest of his career & damaged his professional reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ah gman fergie, speaks his mind, no one can argue with an old man like fergie cos then theyl be done with ageism!

ah, here they are, you honestly think that Fergie is the worst for criticising refs? Have a look at Neil Warnock after every game something goes wrong for him. David Moyes did it earlier this season AFAIK, Benitez has done it on countless occasions too. Fergie just has all these pre-conceived notions about him that seem to just take over every time he's in the news. Journalists looking for a cheap meal ticket just hop on the gravy train and this transfers their feelings to the average joe who lap it up because Fergie manages their most hated club and will jump on anything to get one over on their rival fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I SOMETIMES wonder if Sir Alex Ferguson were allowed to referee Manchester United’s home games, he would savage himself in the post-match press conference for being biased, or unfit, or stupid.

It is rare for a match to take place without the Glaswegian impugning some poor sap’s dignity, or ability, or impartiality. Even when his side have won, every decision given against United — a throw-in, a corner, the full-time whistle, the half-time whistle — is a crime against humanity, and the referee will be vilified.

You might well argue that Manchester United have been awarded three extremely fortunate points recently by the most kindly of referees — the extra extra time against Manchester City in a game they did not deserve to win, and the extra time against Sunderland in a game they did not deserve to draw.

But even then Ferguson raged, in the manner of one of those dossers you see standing around a burning mattress on waste ground with a bottle of cheap wine in one hand and a carrier bag holding a half-eaten kebab in the other. A rage against everything, red-faced and bitter, wholly divorced from reality.

Ferguson has apologised to referee Alan Wiley for his latest burst of spite after the Sunderland match — but only, you suspect, because he feared serious censure from the authorities. Chance would be a fine thing; no meaningful punishment has ever been applied to the Manchester United manager: as others have suggested, he is seen as being beyond rebuke.

Ferguson implied — no, sorry, stated, quite clearly — that Wiley was unfit to referee a game of this standard because he was, uh, unfit. “He took 30 seconds every time he booked a player,” Ferguson moaned, implying that Wiley was using these opportunities to catch his breath. Well, no he didn’t; the bookings I saw took on average 15 seconds.

But there is hardly anything more damaging than to suggest a referee isn’t up to it because he’s knackered, other than implying deliberate bias (which was the charge Ferguson flung at Keith Hackett last season, during the Premier League’s “Respect” campaign, a campaign undermined from the very start by Sir Alex. He took not the slightest notice of it).

“It was never my intention to bring the focus of media attention on Mr Wiley,” Ferguson announced yesterday, with all the contrition you might expect from a stoat that has just killed a rabbit, wiping away the blood from its lips.

Yes, it was, mate. That was precisely the intention, to deflect attention from your team’s inept performance against a good and brave Sunderland, who emerged from the match with far less than they deserved. We have seen this spinning before from plenty of managers, notably Sir Alex and, of course, José Mourinho.

Ferguson got the season off to a swing by vilifying the referee during the Charity Shield, Chris Foy. It was, he asserted, Foy’s fault that United had not beaten Chelsea, rather than United’s.

Last season he attacked Phil Dowd for sending off Paul Scholes in the game United lost at Fulham. Scholes had dived across the goal and palmed a shot away with his hand; even Scholes thought it was a perfectly fair cop and made no complaint. It was as justified and exemplary a sending-off as you will ever see. The ref was at fault only for failing to send off Cristiano Ronaldo a little earlier for the usual cheating, kicking and mouthing off. But that tirade of Ferguson’s was another diversionary tactic, I assume.

Rafael Benítez has suggested that Ferguson attempts to influence the course of a game by a “clever” word or two with the referee at half-time. At the least, it seems clear to me that referees feel intimidated at the prospect of officiating at Old Trafford, and that the home side are almost always the beneficiary of this added nervousness.

So here’s what the authorities might do, for a start.

First, ban Ferguson from the touchline for eight matches for his disrespect of Wiley. Second, make it clear that managers are not allowed to talk to referees before, during or after a game, and that there will be a large financial penalty every time they do so. If they have complaints, they can put them in writing, enclosing their evidence. Managers should also be barred from accosting the fourth official, screaming abuse at him, running up to him pointing psychotically to their watches, etc.

Finally, the FA and the Premier League should make it clear that every time a referee is vilified: a) the manager will be fined; and b) the FA will, in extreme cases (such as the Wiley affair), provide financial support for the referee to take legal action for defamation against the manager.

The Respect campaign didn’t work; it was treated as a joke. It is time to get tough.

Article is a farce. Written by someone who clearly dislikes Ferguson immensely.

United definitely deserved to beat city.

Fergie as been punished time and time again. How much more meaningful can you get than a touchline ban?

When does Scholes ever give out about anything?

• Advertisement

.....couple of articles from the last few days

Nice unbias article you posted there by former Liverpool Echo writer Tony Barrett.

Also, that first article is by Rod Liddle, who speaks so much sh!te its laughable. You all might know him as the journalist who "left his wife for a young wan" (thank you Eamonn Dunphy). One example being accusing Liverpool and their fans of being over sentimental about the Hillsborough tragedy and making too big a deal of it.

you're implying Scholes didn't think he deserved to be sent off in your post?

he dived with his hand & saved a goal bound shot.

tis your post thats the farce tbf!

i'm not talking about who wrote the articles, just that i agree with the senitments in both

you're implying Scholes didn't think he deserved to be sent off in your post?

he dived with his hand & saved a goal bound shot.

tis your post thats the farce tbf!

How did I imply that?

Scholes did deserve to be sent off and Im sure he knows that, but using the fact that Paul Scholes didnt complain about the sending off to criticise Fergie is ridiculous. When does Paul Scholes ever even speak, never mind give out.

ok, well then surely you agree Ferguson criticising the ref for sending off Schole was embarrasing?

ok, well then surely you agree Ferguson criticising the ref for sending off Schole was embarrasing?

Embarrassing? No. Not at all. He was wrong to do it for sure but what manager is not wrong in their comments sometimes?

• Advertisement

Are you - the biggest Benitez sympathiser on the planet - really going to get into a discussion about embarassing moments for managers here after what he did last season?

got nothing to say on Benitez in this thread about Ferguson & officials.

got nothing to say on Benitez in this thread about Ferguson & officials.

Fair enough, but it does highlight the huge level of bias you have in a discussion like this (as do I). Fact is, most level headed United fans know what Ferguson said was out of order. It blew over, went away in the media, and Ferguson still issued a personalised apology. Managers never issue apologies. Now people dont like the apology. Its ridiculous. Had he offered Wiley a quick reach around as means of apologising, they'd probably criticise him for not having a cuddle afterwards. People will always find away to criticise Ferguson, especially fans of rival clubs, for the amount of success he's brought United. Simple as.

i'm not criticising him because he has been so successful at Utd.

i'm criticising him because of his constant appalling behaviour towards officials.

& i'm emphasising the point because hardcore Utd fans like yourself tried to paint out his apology was prove of his "class" which was laughable.

i'm not criticising him because he has been so successful at Utd.

i'm criticising him because of his constant appalling behaviour towards officials.

Al, lets not for one second pretend you actually give a shite about any of the referees in the Premier League. You dont. This is a chance to put on over on the old enemy and you know it.

• Advertisement

i've had a go at many managers for their comments towards officials in the past (incl Rafa), it annoys me but i can be more understanding when its justified & the ref has had a shocker, however when the ref has done nothing wrong & is simply a victim of someone elses agenda, i think thats wrong, whoever makes the comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

you would actually swear that Fergie called Wiley a murdering kiddie fiddling fat bastard.

i understand the need for other fans to jump on any chance they get to have a go at all things united but please lads, try get a bit of perspective on the issue

He made a comment in a post match interview after seeing his team drop points, he later apologised, if its not good enough for anyone, then frankly who gives a ****, move on and focus on your own clubs and their managers and if the issue really upsets you then the next time they (any of your teams managers) get anyway out of line with officials or teddy bears then start a thread about them and drag up bull**** articles from gutter journalists and bang on about that managers long history of terrible behaviour.

at least that way you wont seem like a bitter fan of a rival club desperate to have a go at united

Fergie should get a 2 game minimum ban for those comments. Anything less is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Do touch line bans even have influence or is it just pointless bull**** to appease the rabble?

Its like getting lines in school:

"I will not call Mr Wiley fat"

Fergie should get a 2 game minimum ban for those comments. Anything less is laughable.

whats your logic here?

can you povide comparisons or other examples to base your conclusion or is this just more waffle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No

kryogen wrote: »
    whats your logic here?

can you povide comparisons or other examples to base your conclusion or is this just more waffle?

Criticising refs personnally has resulted in bans before for fergie :confused:

Taken from Momentomori's post.
    MARK CLATTENBURG

Who? The referee received an earful at half-time during United’s match at Bolton in November 2007
    Rant: ‘Some referees don’t like the truth but I just told him how bad he was in the first half’
    Apology? None at all, but Fergie was hit with a two-match touchline ban and a £5,000 fine

MIKE DEAN

Who? Official who awarded Hull a penalty and failed to send off Michael Turner as United won 4-3 in November 2008
    Rant: Gary Neville tried to restrain his finger-jabbing boss: ‘The player [Turner] has already been booked so the referee failed in his duty’
    Apology? No. The FA gave him a and a two-match touchline ban£10,000 fine

Criticising refs personnally has resulted in bans before for fergie :confused:

Taken from Momentomori's post.

Ok

think you owe Rarnes an apology Kryogen :D

think you owe Rarnes an apology Kryogen :D

Ah, all of a sudden an apology is good enough.

Double standards there Al ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement