Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Killers of the Troubles

Options
  • 11-10-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Today the INLA is to announce its ending its campaign. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1011/inla.html
    Through the years the INLA has produced the most vicious killers of the troubles, Dessie O Hare and Dominic McGlinchey. Dessie O Hare himself murdered around 30 people and is now walking the streets which I find quite fascinating.
    I was just wondering who else you could add to the list of worst killers of the troubles and there number of victims?
    I'm sorry if I have offended anyone but I think its worth a discussion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its NOT worth a discussion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

mike65 wrote: »
    Its NOT worth a discussion!

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think Lenny Murphy would have to be seen as one of the worst. An absolute psychopath whose death was welcomed by loyalist, republicans and security forces alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

Jim Lynagh murdered around 30 people. met his end in loughgall,
    some guy in south armagh holds poll position with 70 murders...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think Lenny Murphy would have to be seen as one of the worst. An absolute psychopath whose death was welcomed by loyalist, republicans and security forces alike.

aka the shankil butchers read the book. A great read but sad.

Would love to know whats political about all this. It's emotive I think. Someone is bound to come on and say something crap like "Them's was the troubles" Yes they were and i do not know why we are hashing and rehashing.

What disacussion can be gained in this and the op's reason for posting.

Emm let me see.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

the good friday agreement is great and all but there is a flip side to it. there are numerous serial killers walking the streets of ireland some even in the same towns as the victims families. i dont think the good friday agreement has ever adressed the feelings of those families who were affected by the serial killers of the troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Lenny Murphy, without a doubt.

what about johnny adair?

b12mearse wrote: »
    what about johnny adair?

He's like Ghandi compared to Lenny Murphy, but is in his own right - an evil, sick, monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Today the INLA is to announce its ending its campaign.
    I wonder to about the timing, esp with the courtcase http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/bulletproof-vest-found-in-home-of-inla-accused-court-hears-429612.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

mega man wrote: »
    Jim Lynagh murdered around 30 people. met his end in loughgall,
    some guy in south armagh holds poll position with 70 murders...

Pole position actually

what about johnny adair?

I reckon jonny adair and billy wright killed more of there own with Drugs than they ever done in the "Catholic" population. I say "Catholic" because jonny made the mistake of assuming that all "Catholics" are nationalist and hated them on these grounds.

Thank god he was not in dublin..... Hold on....

Brian Nelson murdered quite a few. the British Governemnt gave him a lincence to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

i'd put Maggie Thatcher at pole position

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Declan Duffy maybe? Isn't he the one who's called Whacko Duffy or something, and is supposed to a real scumbag. I think I read it in a Paul Williams book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I had heard of the Shankhill Butchers but not Lenny Muprhy. Decided to give him a Google and found this (after reading about his crimes)... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

http://rlv.zcache.com/lenny_murphy_bag-p1498293332334343012w92h_400.jpg

Seriously disturbing. :confused::eek:

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Declan Duffy maybe? Isn't he the one who's called Whacko Duffy or something, and is supposed to a real scumbag. I think I read it in a Paul Williams book

there's currently an extraditiion proceeding against whacker duffy for his alleged involment in the murder of recruiting soldier in the uk.

i think this song was written by the pogues based on Whacker Duffy and his alleged involvment in the murder of the recruiting sergeant.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTHWJbw60Gk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

We'll never know who the "worst" were. Its hard to define as lots of paramilitary groups had strict army procedures. In those cases its hard to call who's worse - the bomb-maker/planter or the guy who ordered the bombing.

Guess on the ground lenny murphy is the obvious choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Pointless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Worst killer of the troubles was tobacco.

7000 approx per annum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

guy i was working with mentioned that loughall was a set up, anyone else here this?

He claimed the IRA army Council were concerned about some of the South Armagh brigade being out of control and needed to get rid of them, so they organised the attack on an RUC station to get rid of them.

guy i was working with mentioned that loughall was a set up, anyone else here this?

He claimed the IRA army Council were concerned about some of the South Armagh brigade being out of control and needed to get rid of them, so they organised the attack on an RUC station to get rid of them.

So because some random Bob tells you, it must be true?

No, it was not a setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dlofnep wrote: »

No, it was not a setup.

No, his name was Luke actually and he seemed pretty convincing. It seemed like a plausible story, changing political winds, hardliners that would never change etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

mega man wrote: »
    Jim Lynagh murdered around 30 people. met his end in loughgall, some guy in south armagh holds poll position with 70 murders...

By comparisson, 'Jack the ripper' murdered between 5 & 7 people, and were still talking about him today!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Riddle101 wrote: »

He was called "Whacker" Duffy, a common enough nickname around the place. He was the former INLA leader in Dublin, also a complete criminal who dragged the name of Irish Republicanism through the mud in Dublin city. The INLA declare themselves the only armed group representative of the Irish working class, and here we find their leader was a fat, Jaguar-driving retrobate who had his hands in all sorts of sh*t, as well as getting into feuds with drug-dealers over God know's what. To be honest there are some people in the Irps who are very genuine and sincere activists, but as we saw with Duffy, that trend isn't exactly universal.

In short, their entire "brand" so to speak has become associated with drugs and crackpots like Dessie O'Hare; the best thing they could do would be to wind up their armed group because it has brought them and others nothing but trouble over the past ten years.

FF,

It was actually members of the East Tyrone Brigade (and one civilian) who were killed by the SAS on that day. I've heard that story too and have concluded it is a load of b*llocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Whoever it was in MI5/MI6 who sent their UVF proxies to bomb Dublin and Monaghan in 1974 would be near the top of any list of this sort.

dlofnep wrote: »

No, it was not a setup.

I would not have gone there. You know what they say! A friend of mine is on speaking terms with Elvis. Does not mean i belive him.

It would suit to believe that loughall was a set up. It would make it easier to explain the massacre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I was just wondering who else you could add to the list of worst killers of the troubles ?

P. O'Neill ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

I'm surprised no one mentioned Paisley. He may not have pulled the trigger himself but he sure incited many others to it though. :mad:

paisleyudagz4.jpg

Nor for that matter was he the only unionist who was happy to flirt with the loyalists.

Ian-Paisley-Ulster-Resistance.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement