Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mam has cancer, advice needed please

Options
  • 11-10-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, my wife has just been told that her mum has cancer and it has come as an awful shock. she starts treatment in two weeks with radiotherapy and chemotherapy. the problem is that she has been looking after her 94 year old dad as he has lived with her since her husband died 9 years ago.
    my wife is thinking of giving up work and moving back in with her mum during this difficult time and was wondering would she be entitled to a cares allowance? as well as this will we have to pay for the treatment as her mum hasnt worked for over 9 years and has been living off a widows allowance but she has a medical card.
    the final query is with regard to the treatment... is it true that you can not be around anyone that has received treatment for radiotherepy if you are pregnant and that the person receiving the treatment cant go near children for 24hrs after treatment.
    i'd really appreciate any help or advice with regard to this.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Sorry to hear about your MIL

There is some good information for patients undergoing radiation treatment available here on the St. Luke's Hospital website. All patients treated in public hospitals are treated for free.

Advertisement