Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of leaving lamps plugged into a timer socket

Options
  • 11-10-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

We have just recieved our third esb bill and its nearly 3 times that of previous bills, it is an estimate but when i checked the meter, its fairly accurate,
    Lately i have been leaving two lamps in the house on until 3 in the morning for security reasons,
    I bought the timer plug/sockets cheap in b&q for €9 or so,
    Are these known for being very expensive and inefficient?
    Im just trying to figure out why the bill is so high!
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What kind of lamps are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

5uspect wrote: »
    What kind of lamps are they?

They are standard small 60w b&q lamps

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So if you used a 6 watt energy saving lamp you would cut it's running costs by a factor of 10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Are they Incandescent, Halogen, Fluorescent, LED etc?

If they're 60W (120W for two) then you're drawing that much power for a good period of time. Consider a leaner alternative like LED.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The timers themselves are rated around 0.25W, meaning that it would have to run for 4000 hours or 166 days before it uses up 1 unit of electricity.
    I recommend using a flourescent bulb. LED's aren't good enough for the price yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

10-10-20 wrote: »
    The timers themselves are rated around 0.25W, meaning that it would have to run for 4000 hours or 166 days before it uses up 1 unit of electricity.
    I recommend using a flourescent bulb. LED's aren't good enough for the price yet.

Thanks for that,
    I was wondering how much electricity the actual timers used up,
    Ill look into upgrading my bulbs then.

Advertisement