Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seasonal Affective Disorder in pets?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

After a very good September, the weather has become more autumnal in the past couple of weeks and this past week we've noticed our cat has been sleeping more and venturing out less. It's very noticeable today as we haven't left the house yet and from the looks of it neither has she - normally she'll pop out for most of the morning after breakfast and keep coming in and out during the day until dinner (she's not allowed out at night). However today she's spent the entire time curled up on the bed.

Also, in a completely uncharacteristic move, she didn't immediately start gobbling her breakfast this morning as soon as it hit the bowl - it took here about half an hour to settle down to it which I've never seen before.

Anyway, it's not a huge amount to go on but I was thinking the lethargy and slight appetite loss may be due to the change in the weather and the shorter, darker days - something like SAD in humans. We adopted her this time last year so I don't know if she's gone through a similar thing before but she was pretty active last winter (might have been that she had a new home to explore at the time).

Has anyone experienced a similar thing in their pets?

Cheers,
    Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the cat is in general good health and there's no health reason why the cat is acting this way. Some cats don't like the rain and damp, cats sleep an awful lot anyway could be just enjoying the warmth in the house, they love their comfort and heat.

Our collie hates this type of weather, she hates the rain and will try and go back to bed I have to coax her out to go for a pee then once she's done it she goes straight back to bed. She avoids the rain like the plague and sulks in her bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

My father noticed the same thing with his cats some years ago, and my dogs react the same way to wet days - all they want to do is sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

I don't think it's anything to worry about as long as your cat is healthy and eating well. I've known animals like this but always thought it might be like a slight hibernation.

If her appetite doesn't pick up, it may be an idea to get her checked over by your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Her appetite hasn't picked up this morning and she got sick last night. She's a bit perkier today though. She was supposed to get a booster later this week so we've bumped the appointment up to this afternoon & we'll see what the vet says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Her appetite hasn't picked up this morning and she got sick last night. She's a bit perkier today though. She was supposed to get a booster later this week so we've bumped the appointment up to this afternoon & we'll see what the vet says.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Turns out it's not so much Seasonal Affective Disorder as Fighting Kitty Disorder. She has a lacerated tongue and swollen glands, poor pet. But she's now dosed up on antibiotics and painkillers so I don't think she's too bothered at the moment. Had her first proper meal in 24 hours and you'd swear she hadn't seen food in a week :)

I had noticed that she was dribbling a bit yesterday and hadn't cleaned her paws but I never put 2 and 2 together, just assumed it was because she was tired...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Turns out it's not so much Seasonal Affective Disorder as Fighting Kitty Disorder. She has a lacerated tongue and swollen glands, poor pet. But she's now dosed up on antibiotics and painkillers so I don't think she's too bothered at the moment. Had her first proper meal in 24 hours and you'd swear she hadn't seen food in a week :)

I had noticed that she was dribbling a bit yesterday and hadn't cleaned her paws but I never put 2 and 2 together, just assumed it was because she was tired...

Aww bless!! At least she's back on the mend now. Poor pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Poor little thing. Glad she's feeling better now and eating again

Advertisement