Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skaters

Options
  • 11-10-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Question - is there a reason that every weekend theres kids on skateboards at both entry/exit ramps on the Superquinn carpark when theres a skate park just up the road? Does it have age restrictions or charges that means they cant use it?

Dont get me wrong, I dont care where they skate from a recreational perspective, but it just seems quite dangerous for them with people like me driving in and out of the carpark all the time!! Esp today as I drove out and they were skating off the edge of wall onto the middle of the road when they have no visibility of cars coming out of the underground carpark...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Its fairly odd because there is a perfect skate park up the road beside jackie skelly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much is the skatepark, and can anyone skate there with parental consent if they're a minor?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

the_syco wrote: »
    How much is the skatepark, and can anyone skate there with parental consent if they're a minor?

Skatepark is free! I'm not sure if there is an age limit but one is not enforced anyway because there are generally kids of all ages. No parental consent is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Luke Emia

I would suggest that the reason the kids are around SuperQuinn is because its NOT the Skatepark. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

skatepark is over-14s but I have no idea if this is enforced - as mentioned its free. I guess the skaters at the car park just want a bit of variety. Its a popular spot for parkour wannabes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

The skatepark is over-10s, not 14s.

Saying it is not enforced as there are "kids of all ages" in there is completely wrong, the only entrance to the skatepark is through the recreation centre and the staff are driven demented checking ages and making kids wear helmets.

OP, is it mostly the evenings that you notice this? The centre closes at 6 on Sat and Sun so the skatepark is closed then as well.

Apart from that, most kids are going to want to skate in different places rather than the skatepark all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

nibtrix wrote: »

Saying it is not enforced as there are "kids of all ages" in there is completely wrong,

Havn't been there in a while butfrom what I remember there was quite frequently kids under 10. Perhaps they were too short to be seen behind the desk. Suppose this is really off the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

nibtrix wrote: »

OP, is it mostly the evenings that you notice this? The centre closes at 6 on Sat and Sun so the skatepark is closed then as well.

No - any time I've seen them its been during the daytime on Sat and Sun. That said none of them look older than 12 or 12 max so maybe it is the age restriction...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

eleMental wrote: »
    Esp today as I drove out and they were skating off the edge of wall onto the middle of the road when they have no visibility of cars coming out of the underground carpark...:confused:

As a former long time skateboarding youth of Greystones I would guess that one of them is probably keeping an eye out for cars even if it may not look like it.

Advertisement