Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I start studying in TY, how much easier will 5th and 6th be?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Ok, so I'm in transition year. I hate it, bored out my mind, terrified of the leaving. I want to do medicine. The subjects I am taking are all at higher level

English
    Irish
    maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    French
    Japanese/ Business (any opinions as to which one anybody?)

My question is if I try to get half the LC course done myself in Biology, maths and Chemistry by the end of 4th year, will it make a difference to how hard 5th year and 6th year will be? Did anyone try this, or in retrospect do you wish you had? Will it be too difficult to do? (ie will I not be able to understand it or learn it the wrong way) Should I do all the easy parts this year and leave it to the teachers next year to do the hard parts, or do the hard parts now so they'll be less time consuming later on?

Also does anyone know any Japanese teachers for LC in Dublin/Kildare? I have an alright knowledge of the language anyway, but would all the time taken up by extra classes after school make it easier to just do business,which I don't really like?

Oh decisions,decisions!!! Any advice would be great.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

My advice? Don't.
    I was just like you. I planned to get such a head start in 4th year, thinking it would make things easier. It doesn't. 2 years is long enough for the leaving. (I planned to study the summer during 5th and 6th but that didn't work out either). Its hard enough to keep study momentum for the whole of 6th, let alone starting in 4th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Work with your teachers from the end of TY and in 5th and 6th year. They know what they're doing so trust them rather than your own judgement because you could end up putting in a lot of work and end up messing it up (no offence intended). TY is meant to be year out from work so use it! I found TY helped me relax and that then helped me prepare better for 5th year. Seriously, don't screw up TY cos you will regret it later on. 5th and 6th year will stress you out enough as it is, without taking TY to add extra pressure on yourself. Work in 5th year, do exam papers in 6th year. Otherwise working so hard in TY, your wasting your time, being in 6th year now and realising not working in TY was the bext thing ever. Your what 15 or 16? Calm down...I mean I'm going for Medicine too and I'm only studying in bits and bobs, I'm not gonna burn myself out too quick...You dont wanna do that either!

Look whatever you decide good luck to you, and BTW...do Business, it's much more managable and very easy for LC!

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

Thanks for the advice :). Its just that I'm a very academic person. I actually don't mind studying that much. My TY is organised really badly and I hate wasting time. My teachers are doing nothing. I'm stuck doing ordinary level everything because they won't stream anything. There really is no reason for me to come in in the morning.

I'm really worried that learning nothing for a year will put me at a disadvantage to other people who did TY but were still learning new stuff all the time and that I'll just forget everything.

I get what you're saying about becoming burnt out though...I hadn't thought of that:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 amy.can.live

I didn't do TY but sometimes I wish I did because I'm only 16 at the moment but I think while it'd be wise to stay on top of things, it probably wouldn't be a great idea to learn ahead because it's a year off and you might get totally confused on something and learn it incorrectly.

So you should really try and have fun in TY and if you want to do a little bit of learning on the side I don't see why not, just remember that the LC is a two year course and it's not necessary to study loads in TY.

Also, I'd pick business because my friend's doing it and she says it's good and not too difficult :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I know a few people who did a Saturday morning class in the institute during TY and got the leg work subject out of the way before they even started it in 5th year, maybe keep it in mind.

Japanese classes are free on Saturdays in St.Michael's College, (I went there/work there now, dont annoy me, so many of those cursed students bother me enough as it is!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

You can get free Japanese classes in Maynooth Post Primary during the week, I'm not too sure what day exactly but I'll find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Maybe instead of studying loads, take on an eighth subject. I did eight, and it was absolutely fine. Turns out I didn't need 8, but it's nice to be safe. I'm in second med now.

If you're considering medicine, you're obviously capable of good points. I'd imagine 8 subjects would be no trouble to you. Physics is lovely, by the way.

And best of luck!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Every TY is shi te especially now with the recession. Don't study anyhow. Take it handy.

Sitting for hours a day in a classroom doodling, picking your nails will seem boring now but will help you work next year. Bore yourself to death with doing nothing now. You won't do the same next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

There is absolutely no need to study in 4th year.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

dont do it, ty is for chillin out and takin it easy... and if you dont think ty is good - make it good!! do somethin mad to get everyone goin and everythin will sort itself out from there! and if theres any work for doin, let the girls do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

elaine93 wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm in transition year. I hate it, bored out my mind, terrified of the leaving. I want to do medicine. The subjects I am taking are all at higher level

English
    Irish
    maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    French
    Japanese/ Business (any opinions as to which one anybody?)

My question is if I try to get half the LC course done myself in Biology, maths and Chemistry by the end of 4th year, will it make a difference to how hard 5th year and 6th year will be? Did anyone try this, or in retrospect do you wish you had? Will it be too difficult to do? (ie will I not be able to understand it or learn it the wrong way) Should I do all the easy parts this year and leave it to the teachers next year to do the hard parts, or do the hard parts now so they'll be less time consuming later on?

Also does anyone know any Japanese teachers for LC in Dublin/Kildare? I have an alright knowledge of the language anyway, but would all the time taken up by extra classes after school make it easier to just do business,which I don't really like?

My advice = chill the **** out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Dude, pick the one subject your the most interested in. When I did ty I read a lot of history books, so now in sixth year I have basically finished the course, leaving me more time to study other courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Really, you're hating 4th year?!

My advise: don't bother working ahead, there's no point, a hour of study in fourth year ≠ a hour of study in 6th year. Just kick back and relax, take up a new hobby or something - dunno what you're into. Pretty much spent my entire 4th year playing video games and haven't regretted that decision for a second (and I'm in sixth year now).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Dont go studying in TY! TY is an easy year for you to relax- you will grow to like it- I hated it too! You have another 2 years to study =D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

While I do agree with many of the other posters about using TY as a chance to relax before the studying, you don't come across as someone who enjoys being idle. So perhaps an idea might be to get your hands on some of the textbooks for 5th and 6th year, and simply read (not study) them. Get an overview of what you will be covering, and college style, if one particular topic appeals to you, go off and read other books about it, or hit the web. Learning in this way doesn't have to be stressful, as you're in TY there's no "deadline" or tests as such, so you can just enjoy finding out a bit more about the subjects you'll be covering. You might even take a tangent off to a topic that isn't covered in the LC, but that you find you have an interest or passion for.

Also, maybe have a chat to the 5th/6th year teachers? I'm sure they've had students in the same situation before and might be able to give you some pointers.

**DISCLAIMER** I'm a long time out of school so may be talking out of my hat!!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

Chill ooout! You're gonna regret this SO much when t comes to 6th year, you'll be wishing you took all the time in the world to relax. Seriosuly Im in 6th year and I've burnt out already from trying to hard and am now looking at courses with lower points!! Chill!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Seriously, keep up some study...
    I was literally unable to study until last Christmas, TY melted my brain and I couldn't finish a decent book until Summer... TY turns brains to mush, so keeping the studying up would probably be positive.

While I do agree with many of the other posters about using TY as a chance to relax before the studying, you don't come across as someone who enjoys being idle. So perhaps an idea might be to get your hands on some of the textbooks for 5th and 6th year, and simply read (not study) them. Get an overview of what you will be covering, and college style, if one particular topic appeals to you, go off and read other books about it, or hit the web. Learning in this way doesn't have to be stressful, as you're in TY there's no "deadline" or tests as such, so you can just enjoy finding out a bit more about the subjects you'll be covering. You might even take a tangent off to a topic that isn't covered in the LC, but that you find you have an interest or passion for.

Also, maybe have a chat to the 5th/6th year teachers? I'm sure they've had students in the same situation before and might be able to give you some pointers.

**DISCLAIMER** I'm a long time out of school so may be talking out of my hat!!

Good luck!

Thanks :) This sounds like a nice middleground between going all out with the study and doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Don't study. Have a relaxed and great year. Just do homework and keep up with everything and you'll be fine. Most people make the mistake of being too relaxed and doing nothing which usually ends with them being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

I definitely wouldn't study at all! But neither would I "get lazy" and do nothing.

TY is probably your only chance to spend a year within the confines of school to do almost anything you want. Whether the year is well or badly organised is irrelevant and not an excuse for doing nothing. You can do a lot of reading, do projects or take part in things like YSI, Student Enterprise Awards or Young Scientist; make a film, take up new hobbies, sports etc. etc. etc.

As an academic person I'm sure you can find something of interest outside the leaving cert curriculum if you look!
    Trust me, you'll spend enough of 5th and 6th year, followed by 5 years of medicine and then further postgrad study.... it goes on!

Anyway, don't waste a year studying pointlessly, do something new, different and fascinating!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

do not go studying in ty 2 years is a long time so just wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

Hey!

Firstly, i get the impression you are pretty academic, which is absolutely no harm whatsoever, sure I was the same but a few words of advice from somewhere here who like you was academic, wanted medicine and is now in stage three medicine (i'm not trying to come across as pretentious or anything but I figure you might actually give it some thought if you think this is genuine!)

Firstly, ty is what you put into it so show initiative by going and organising things if things are not being organised for you and develop skills which will be of far more use to you if you plan on entering the medical field. Do Gaisce, start public speaking, get work experience in hospital or volunteer in disability centre, there are lots of things you can do and skills you can develop which will be of far more benefit to you in the long run.

Also, please please remember that high (570-600) leaving cert points are no longer enough to secure a place in medicine because of the HPAT which you will need to do in 6th yr. This year my brother got 590 in his leaving cert for example but his HPAT score of 135 did not get him into medicine, whereas I know of pre meds with leaving certs of 540 who got better HPAT scores and are in. So if you want to do anything on the academic side of things, maybe get the HPAT booklet, do a course, just practice the things and you'll be flying once you get to 6th yr!

Also if you plan on doing 8 subjects, maybe start the 8th on ty, many people do that when they have the time so if it involves travelling or attending grind schools, then you will not waste time in 5th/6th yr going to and fro when ya have homework to be doing.

Do business, easiest A1 ever if you are anyway linguistically inclined (i.e. come across well on paper and well able to write!) and if you are academic in a school where messers pick business for the leaving, then it is to your advantage because your paper will stand out for the examiner amongst a whole pile of rubbish!!!(it's true.....of course you still have to have the hard facts!)

Just don't start the other subjects until your teacher start heading in that direction at the end of ty.....otherwise you risk burnout before you even reach your mocks in 6th yr....which can lead to underachieving. Take it easy, enjoy the year for what it's worth and get involved because if you do end up doing medicine, you have really intense years of study ahead of you (m not trying to scare you, i'm just being honest)so just enjoy the present!!*****

****there are prob numerous errors in this post following lack of sleep due to neuro exam today. sorry!

Hope this helps you a bit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Without sounding too cheesy, TY is for 'life experiences'. Do things you wouldn't normally do and get involved in fundraising, school plays, magazines, YSI, mini-company etc. You should have enough on your plate in TY with all this, if you're using the year properly.

Study now and you run the risk of being so sick of it by 6th year that you'll end up doing worse. Enjoy this year while you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I was sorta the same, I like learning things academically so although TY was a great experience and I loved trying new things I felt like I was back in my comfort zone studying in 5th year.

Getting as head start on the LC really isn't all that necessary in order to do well, I'd say try new academic things other than the LC if you need a challenge. Trinity does TYPE (transition year physics experience), look into that or other courses that will be challenging for TY students. Modern Languages Initiative does Japanese classes in St. Michael's college in Ballsbridge on Saturday mornings. You could do 5th year Japanese in TY and either repeat it or repeat 6th year for the LC.

There are tons of things you can do to keep your mind sharp in TY if you're getting bored. Things like languages and sciences will stand to you for the LC so look into doing courses 9or hands-on work experience (maybe working in a lab in a university or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Well op I was in the same position as you bored in TY and tempted to study for the LC to get medicine.In the end I didn't bother and took it handy for the year.I really dont think you need 3 years to do the LC, it is designed to be done in 2.One important piece of advice for Ty's is to do as much research as you can into what career tou want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

If you study in TY you are a freak(no offence but its true)
    I dossed practically every day in ty and got 570 at the end of the day so you dont need to study in ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Seriously. Don't dedicate TY completely to studies.At the same time don't doss the year away. It's a year where you can do something completely different, learn new skills/hobbies etc and most importantly get to know people you never talked to before whether that's in your year or from work experience etc, also yourself and qualities that you never realised about yourself before. (I know it sounds very deep but it's true).

Since you want to go for medicine, maybe you should consider Young Scientist competition. You'll be able to research something, invent something, or provide answers to particular problems. Plus you'll get to meet similar people, which is always good. Also they have discos, activities, etc for participants after hours ;)

If you happen to like languages, maybe you should consider participating in a homestay in France for a couple of months. That was what I did (except in Spain) and I never regretted it for a second. Sure it was hard to go to a foreign school, live with a family and speak a foreign language most of the time (as long as you make the effort), and I was nervous about this beforehand. But it was brilliant for me and it helped me come out of my shell in school. Since I had to make friends, etc over there it helped me get used to meeting new people and deal with shyness, etc.

Looking back on TY I wish I could have done more. I could have learned to play the guitar (which I don't seem to find the time to do now :(), play a sport and do other things that would have stood to me now. Fortunately My school organised so many good things, like public speaking, drama, model united nations, Young social innovators, etc . Had I truly understood TY at the time, and realised the great new experiences I could have got from it, I would have had more friends from school/ outside of school and more great memories from school. I always felt that I missed out on so many potential friendships because I didn't do as much as I should have in TY.

So seriously don't throw away TY. have fun, do a liitle study if you want, definitely learn something new. Make it your own!;)

I forgot to mention my school isn't doing anything. No exchange,no trips, no young scientist, no new modules, no language things, no model UN, no drama, nothing. I've joined whats on offer ie choir and debating, but thats it. I know everyone in my class and I'm in the same class all day. I can't afford to go abroad for a term. Thats like 10 grand from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

I forgot to mention my school isn't doing anything. No exchange,no trips, no young scientist, no new modules, no language things, no model UN, no drama, nothing. I've joined whats on offer ie choir and debating, but thats it. I know everyone in my class and I'm in the same class all day. I can't afford to go abroad for a term. Thats like 10 grand from what I've heard.
    Just as you could study a new subject by yourself for LC (Which I would not recommend in TY btw!), you can also take up new hobbies, do Gaisce, join clubs, take up music lessons, join drama, practice art etc etc etc by yourself.

My school was pretty similar during TY, didn't offer much really. I organised extra work experience in fields I was interested in, joined clubs, made a film with my friends.

There are endless possibilities for keeping yourself occupied as long as you can use your initiative and put in the work. Unfortunately, no one is going to do it for you. That's why TY can be such a great experience because it's a break from the traditional spoon feeding of school and a fantastic opportunity to develop some real independence and creativity. Use it wisely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

The entire point of Transition year is that you use your own intuitive to learn something new. Don't rely on your school to do it for you, that takes away the entire point. If you treat Transition year as a academic "book" year, you'll just be wasting your time. The subjects you take at Leaving Cert are designed to be taken as a two year course, not three.

Advertisement