Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I start studying in TY, how much easier will 5th and 6th be?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

elaine93 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention my school isn't doing anything. No exchange,no trips, no young scientist, no new modules, no language things, no model UN, no drama, nothing. I've joined whats on offer ie choir and debating, but thats it. I know everyone in my class and I'm in the same class all day. I can't afford to go abroad for a term. Thats like 10 grand from what I've heard.

Well then talk to your class and look around at the different things out there for TY students to do. There are so many. Mini companies, Young Scientist, MUN, European Youth Parliament, Young Social Innovators (and that's just a few). Also find some teachers to back you for young scientist, young social innovators, Gaisce, etc. I'm sure that should be some teachers in your school who would work with you, if you and your class are willing to go ahead. I'm guessing you're not the only one who's bored already with TY?!

As for a language homestay yes they can be expensive. I paid a fair bit for mine (it wasn't 10,000 btw, that would be the price for a year), however that was because mine was just me going over to Spain. Nobody came back to my house. Plus i'd a tutor in Spain who taught me Spanish every week and corrected my homework. If you have the money and are really interested in languages i'd go for it as you'll definitely come back fluent if you're there for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

In my TY it was up to us to organise things. We just went to the teachers with the idea and THEN that got the ball rolling for a lot of things. If the teachers felt we didn't have an intrest in it then they dumped the idea, but if it got a huge response then they went with it. TY is all about you, not your school, and try and set up mini businesses, talent shows, commitees, trips away for the weekend etc...

You can't be the only one in your TY feeling frustrated, so together with those people get together into a group, sit down and decide what ye wanna do and then take it to either your TY co-ordinator or your Principal and try to get these things going. You've got until the end of May to change things round...if you want a great TY, you gotta work for it yourself =] It'll be worth it =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭NightOwl91

are u kidding me? ok, i was sooo bored too hun, and i shud of done wat ur suggesting :( but i wasted a year on nothing. 5th yr came, and still, every1 was in 4th yr mode. If u get distracted easily etc , try and get ahead to make life easier. Trust me, if i had my time back I would have done something like that.
    My advice is nothing tooooo extreme, 1hr of lookin at the LC course on each subject a night will do.....dont try and jump ahead with HL english tho unless ur teacher can give u a list of the 2012 LC and whats on it. It changes. Get a head start on Bio and chem defo!!!!
    And keep up Irish and language.
    Trust me plz!
    I am in 6th yr now and Its hard. It really is ...i shud of used 4th yr to get ahead, u r so lucky like ....
    do wat u think u shud. Do a little every night just to keep ur mind going.
    The biology course is HUGGGGGE so defo buy a revision book and start NOW so 5th yr is like revision to u :)
    dunno about chemistry....I dont do it.
    History is a mountain lol if ne1 is wondering. Get on top of that at least over the summer.
    With Irish, you shud just keep a noteboook at home n put vocab into it. Maybe 5words every nyt or somethn. Not to much to ask. U'll be AMAZED. And the same with ur language.
    Keep up with maths too!

Sounds to me like u shud skip into 5th year ryt now!!
    If not, then looking over subjects an hour a nyt in 4th yr is no harm. theres a difference between wasting months away by relaxing and tappin away an hour a night + still relaxing.
    Dont let it all go out the window.
    I learnt the hard way

Trust me ! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yellowbutterfly

We didn't do a lot of academic stuff in TY - a chapter or two in maths, bit of vocab in french - but it wasn't any harm just to keep it going. We got a poet done in English which was great. Don't stress, but if you feel beta its no harm just to read through a few chapters like other people suggested! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Seriously, just enjoy TY. It might not be stimulating enough for you acadmically at the minute but try and enjoy it. Use the year to make friends, unwind, to 'find yourself' as some would say.

My own TY was fairly well organised, although the emphasis was less on academics and more on extra stuff that you don't get a chance to try in school. Our academic classes weren't streamed and the pace was quite slow but seriously, chill out and enjoy it. Your next two years will be hectic enough!

There are plenty of activities you can get involved with yourself as djcervi said - Gaisce, Young Scientist...! Try and get involved in school too - musicals, art, the like. Try and make new friends and discover new interests.

Believe me, forget about the work for now, you have plenty of time. Two years is enough for the senior cycle. This year is a special one for you, one you will not get the chance to repeat. You're in for one of the best years of your life if you just embrace it. If I could go back in time I would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Yeah, honestly you have enough time in 5th & 6th year, work hard in the two years and you will be fine. However, if you dont take time out in 4th year you will not be able to handle the next two years to the extent the others who did take the time out. Enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Bit of study would do no harm I suppose...but you could end up learning it all wrong and creating a huge block for yourself and you probably won't remember by the time you get back into proper work again. You might as well take this year easy, do a little bit of study so you don't get out of practise but that's as far as I'd go

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I think you should study in Transition year. There's absolutely no point wasting a year on nonsense when you could be getting a head start on your Leaving Cert subjects. In my school we started the Leaving Cert course in Maths, English and Irish in TY and it was great having that extra bit of time to finish the courses for these core subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

If you study in TY it kinda misses the point of the whole year. You shouldn't need to! Just keep on top of what the teachers do with you in 5th an 6th year, the curriculum is designed well enough that you may as well follow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dummkopf

Make the most of it - you'll never have a year like it again!
    We did no work at all in school, which suited me perfectly for a few months, but by the end I was looking forward to some kind of work..anything! The only work I did all year was my first work experience in a creche cleaning up after children.
    Its definitely a good year for getting to know people, chatting in class because there is absolutely nothing else to do.
    You'll have plenty of time in 5th and 6th year for worrying about exams.
    2 months into 5th year and its grand. You'll have nothing to worry about at all! Some people make it sound so much worse than it is.
    Enjoy the next year, you will miss it when its over and you see all the TYs next year, no books to carry, nothing to worry about..so jealous..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I studied my maths well in TY. Helped my get the grade I needed in 6th year. But for Gods sake don't over so it-you'll burn yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

i can't speak for Japanese as i didn't do it for the leaving last year.i done Latin(I know,what a loser lol).But I'd reccommend you do Business! It does not require any analysis or critical thought,just simple,straight forward facts to learn off.Without doubt, it's the easiest attainable A in the broad range of subjects available to study for the leaving cert.Go for it! and btw I wish you the best of luck;)

Advertisement