Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions for the next 12 months

Options
  • 11-10-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

The Political events of this weekend got me thinking last night about what the next 12 months are going to be like in Ireland, in terms of taxes, nama and the current regime for government, I'm interested to know what everyone thinks the next 12 months are going to be like? what will and wont happen? Will nama work?Will new legislation be brought in on anything? what will the next 12 months be like for the average man/woman in this country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

After the new programme for government, I can see the government taking the soft option by burying their heads in the sand and not making the neccessary public expenditure cuts so the economy will slide further into the abyss. The government will survive the budget which will prove popular with the masses because it fails to deal with the issues. I'm seriously thinking, unless FG can remove Enda, that Labour's support will elipse FG's. Gilmore is showing steel, is able to read, and resonate with, the public and is consistantly out manoeuvering Enda. Note: I'm truly frightened of this prospect as a FGer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Donnaghm wrote: »
    After the new programme for government, I can see the government taking the soft option by burying their heads in the sand and not making the neccessary public expenditure cuts so the economy will slide further into the abyss. The government will survive the budget which will prove popular with the masses because it fails to deal with the issues.

+1

as for the question "will NAMA work" ...sure, for the next 12 months it will. The real crippling consequences of NAMA will only hit us a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

peasant wrote: »
    +1

as for the question "will NAMA work" ...sure, for the next 12 months it will. The real crippling consequences of NAMA will only hit us a few years down the line.

According to David McWilliams and a Nobel laurete in economics in the SBP today, Nama is an absolute catastrophe and belongs to "a banana republic".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Donnaghm wrote: »
    According to David McWilliams and a Nobel laurete in economics in the SBP today, Nama is an absolute catastrophe and belongs to "a banana republic".

Indeed it is ...he calls it highway robbery.

What makes it politically viable though is that it is a slow, drawn out process.
    Nobody's going to storm your house the day after NAMA is passed and search all drawers, upend your matress and is going to run off with all your valuables.
    They'll just slowly bleed everybody for decades to come

Advertisement