Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find good music?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Broad question, I know. But I am tired of my music collection and I'm looking for some new avenues to try, both old and new music. Any good music websites with reviews, top 10's, whatever. Searchable databases and the like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

rateyourmusic.com
    allmusic.com
    pitchforkmedia.com
    last.fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 neeshboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sorry, I said good music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 neeshboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Find the influences of the artists you admire. You won't feel fleeced by the music press.
    If that don't work. John Cale, Hank Williams, Tortoise, Cathal Coughlan, Pierce Turner,Richard Hawley,James Yorkston, Beta Band ad infinitum.
    Try lyric FM too. Irish trad too. I nearly forgot Ger Wolfe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Broad question, I know. But I am tired of my music collection and I'm looking for some new avenues to try, both old and new music. Any good music websites with reviews, top 10's, whatever. Searchable databases and the like?

If you narrow down what type of music you're looking for people can recommend stuff for you.

Last.fm is great but websites like pitchfork tend to be biased towards certain bands or trends, they've shot down a lot of great bands and over-hyped not so great bands.

I've discovered tons of great music here over the years: http://www.musicbanter.com/ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm into a wide range of stuff. I guess the most recent things I have been into are:

Radiohead - Anything after Kid A
    Fleet Foxes - Album and EP's
    Whitest Boy Alive
    Aphex Twin - Various
    I briefly got into Eels for a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

try the piratebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Discovered sooo much music through Last.Fm
    Basically, you install it and it takes notes of everything you listen to, the artists and genres. It then produces a list made from similar artists to the ones you've listened to and artists in the same genre. Worth a shot, definitely.
    http://www.last.fm/
    You can't just ask for good music, we have no idea what you like lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I quite like /mu/ on 4chan. Despite the constant trolling and ******ry, the sharethreads and such are just so handy. Also, it isn't as genrecentric as a lot of places, provides a few laughs and some (SOME) people there do actually know music pretty well.

Also, as far as your Radiohead and Aphex Twin appreciation goes you may want to have a look at my lastfm as they're 2 of my favourite artists. http://www.lastfm.com/user/mrcantbearsed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Hype Machine.

www.hypem.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm into a wide range of stuff. I guess the most recent things I have been into are:

Radiohead - Anything after Kid A
    Fleet Foxes - Album and EP's
    Whitest Boy Alive
    Aphex Twin - Various
    I briefly got into Eels for a bit
    What he/she said.^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

last.fm is a brilliant resource with music from all genres. Millions of artists and songs, and the recommendation engine is fantastic.

Advertisement