Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Hand Van Purchase

Options
  • 11-10-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was wondering if someone could clarify for me if a second hand van needs to be DOE'd before you can drive it legally on the road. My wife recently purchased the van from a dealer who said and wrote on the receipt that it would be fully serviced and DOE'd. The arrangements were made for collection and when my wife arrived at the garage, the dealer said that he couldn't DOE it until the log book was changed into her name. He said the receipt would be enough for her to drive it legally as there is no license and registration displayed in the front window. He said he would send in the details of the change of name and when we in turn received it in the mail, to bring the log book and van back in and he would DOE it. We also noticed that there were service records only as recently as 07 in the book that he gave her when he had said that he had just serviced it. I was unfortunately away in England when all this happened, but it seems a little suspicious to me. Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome.
    Thanks everyone,
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Wellforone,not everyoneservices inadealership,I get my cars servicedregular from a friend but I dont get receipts so I wouldnt worry too much about that.

However i can not understand why he cant doe it under the garage name, garages regularily do this, I hope he is not a dodgy backyard dealer, I had a bad experience with one before.

On driving it without any details, make sure any documentation is caried in the van at all times, recently after purchasing a car my husband was stopped by the gards, we had switched insurance disc from old car until we received a new one and the gard actually said it was false information and the car could be taken from him for this, since he had documentation to show he had only bought the car they gave him 10 days to produce this in the station. If I was you to be honest Id pay the dealer a visit and find out when exactly the doe can be done, maybe offer to do it yourself as soon as you receive the logbook at his cost, ensure any problems ont he van will be fixed of the doe finds any, i have heard of dodgy nct's being offered for a sum and most likely does could be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better suited to the Motors forum. Moved accordingly

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

maybe he didn't have the tax book yet,test centres for DOE will not do the test without it no excuses ,i have been going to the same place,same tester for 10 years and the last time i forgot it , wouldn't test it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

A van can be tested no matter what name is on the registration cert, he should have had it tested in the new old owners name which would have been on the reg cert. The test is for the van and not the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 corollagalway

Hi guys, I own a 1991 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel car/van.(small van) Its got a very good engine and it has never and will never let me down. It starts first go every time. The only problem is that it would cost a lot of money to do it up for the doe. I see the exact same vans on donedeal and some of the ads say "private tax so doe exempt". I dont mind paying extra at all for the private tax instead of commercial. If I pay the private tax, do I have to get the corolla doe`d at all? All I want is to do drive my old corolla,(which is reliable as any car on the road), legally on the road. I don`t want it to be the end of my old little van. If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement