Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROIs playoff for 2010 World Cup.. teams to avoid?

• 11-10-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Fair play to the players and management, we might not be pleasing to watch but we've given ourselves a great chance of qualifying for our first major championships in 8 years. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_-_UEFA_Second_Round

I haven't seen the other countries play, so who are the countries that we could draw and which of these should be avoided?

After Euro 2008, I'm guessing Russia would be a tough opponent?

Which team excluding greece would be your preference to play? 162 votes

France
    0% 0 votes
    Portugal
    59% 96 votes
    Russia
    40% 66 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Dont think Greece would be the worst draw in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

My preference would be Greece followed by Russia, Portugal and then I would least desire France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Russia and France. Portugal have been in poor form and we could beat Greece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Would love if we beat Portugal and stuck it to Ronaldo! :D

We'd have fans from all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

The consensus seems to be that Russia is the one to avoid. I'd like to add France and Portugal to that list although I'm sure that Ireland could put it up to them but really it would be Ireland's best result in 20 years at least, possibly their greatest result ever to get a win over them over 2 legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What about Slovenia/Slovakia?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

The french are bit of a shambles in truth, a coach who all the players hate and should have got the sack after the euros so id prefer them ahead of portugal or russia...i really couldnt see ireland going to russia and getting a result. The Greeks certainly the ones to hope for

Fair play to the players and management, we might not be pleasing to watch but we've given ourselves a great chance of qualifying for our first major championships in 8 years. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_-_UEFA_Second_Round

I haven't seen the other countries play, so who are the countries that we could draw and which of these should be avoided?

After Euro 2008, I'm guessing Russia would be a tough opponent?

Greece please
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What about Slovenia/Slovakia?

They will be in our pot so we can't meet them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Russia don't actually strike me as being all that great but the prospect of going to Moscow in the depth's of winter is not appealing for any team. My preference;

Greece
    France
    Portugal
    Russia

I genuinely fancy our chances against France, assuming they dont suddenly come good. Not so sure about Portugal. They could rip us to shreds, its hard to know. France and Portugal are certainly not as good as Italy though and we stood up well to them at home. Questions questions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Is not their any legal argument to made for Fifa changing the playoffs to seedings?
    I mean surely the Fai stand to make cash from the World Cup and by doing so Fifa are favouring the bigger teams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

well Stevo, the last world cup play off draw was seeded, so unless the FAI have proof FIFA weren't planning on this one being the same, in reality FIFA aint doing anything wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Russia is by far the worst team we could get.
    Play some brilliant football, unreal home record (bar last night) and no matter how good our fans are I couldn't see many traveling.
    France would be the best for the traveling support but would definitely want Greece.
    Definitely beatable.

only1stevo wrote: »
    Is not their any legal argument to made for Fifa changing the playoffs to seedings?
    I mean surely the Fai stand to make cash from the World Cup and by doing so Fifa are favouring the bigger teams?

Fair enough, but actually in the short term, the FAI stand to make a bit of cash if they were to be drawn against a big team like France in the play-offs

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Russia don't actually strike me as being all that great but the prospect of going to Moscow in the depth's of winter is not appealing for any team. My preference;

Greece
    France
    Portugal
    Russia

I genuinely fancy our chances against France, assuming they dont suddenly come good. Not so sure about Portugal. They could rip us to shreds, its hard to know. France and Phttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=62492440ortugal are certainly not as good as Italy though and we stood up well to them at home. Questions questions..

Afaik, Russia play their home games on a plastic pitch so that's a massive advantage to them.

They are the worst possible draw for a host of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Do the top seeds get a home game for the 2nd leg too so?

also i heard before that the playoffs could clash with the autumn internationals in croker? anyone hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

IMO we want to avoid quick pass and move teams as they'd destroy us. For me this means Russia are the team to avoid.

A slugfest with Greece or a disjointed France would be winnable.

Really can't comment on Portugal. Haven't seen them play in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

russia, portugal, france, greece.

in order of avoidance level.

russia; just no.

1) the pitch
    2) Arshavin
    3) the Hiddink Factor
    4) Arshavin

portugal; almost as much no.

1) you just know Ronaldo will screw us over.
    2) they have an attacking threat that may well overrun our defensive approach.
    3) i wouldn't want to see Ronaldo's smirk at the end at our expense.
    4) although i would like to see his tears if we won.

france; wouldn't bother me.

1) Domenech is pants.
    2) The players don't seem to be playing for him, each other, or the country
    3) the only problem is, qualification rests on this. great players have a habit of pulling out performances when needed, and they have some big, big players.

greece; yes please.

1) they're blatantly the weakest.
    2) i think in terms of style of game, it would be a war of attrition, which i think we could beat a lot of teams at.

that about sums it up for me.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Afaik, Russia play their home games on a plastic pitch so that's a massive advantage to them.

They are the worst possible draw for a host of reasons.

Jeez, thats another reason then, we really dont want them. By nearly all accounts too, they are the best footballing team of the 4 seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

So it's looking like the two pools look like this:

Russia (6)
    France (10)
    Greece (12) (or Switzerland or Israel or Latvia)
    Portugal (17)

and

Ukraine (25)
    Ireland (38)
    Bosnia + Herzogovina (46)
    Slovenia (54)

Russia and France are guarenteed to finish 2nd so they will def be possible opponents for Ireland. Portugal have to beat Malta to guarentee 2nd place, so they will most likely be possible opponents.
    If Greece beat Luxembourg on Wednesday they will have 20 points, while Switzerland (20 points atm) and Israel (15 points) play on Wedsnesday also. If the Swiss lose and Greece win, it will be Switzerland in the play offs. In the unlikely event that Greece lose and Switzerland lose to Israel, it will be Israel in the play offs. If Switzerland win and Greece lose, and Latvia win by a big margin over Maldova (they're +2 and Greece are +9 in goal dif) Latvia could also possible be in the play offs.

So anyway, out of Russia, France, Portugal and Greece/Switzerland (it's unlikely for Latvia or Israel to qualify), I think Greece/Switzerland definitely have to be the most preffered teams to play. We actually have a better quality team than Greece imo and usually bad management would lose it for us, but the fact that we now have Trapattonni gives me confidence that we'd beat Greece over 2 legs (same goes for Switzerland).

Next I think I would fancy us against Portugal. Portugal have had a terrible home record and I feel like we could get win or draw in Lisbon and then do what needs to be done in Croker.

Russia would be a very interesting game. Akinfeev vs Given, Arshavin vs Keane and ultimately Hiddink vs Trap. I think Russia are slightly better than us in most departments (slightly better overall team, slightly better coach, slightly better home advantage) but it still not be a walkover by any means. It would be a very close tie, but I think Russia would def be favourites.

Also, it's worth mentioning that I think Portugal have more quality in their side, but I'd still rather face them than Russia.

I think France would be the toughest side to face. The lost 3-1 away to Austria, but other than that, they've had fairly reasonable results (home and away draws to Romania, away draw to Serbia, and the rest wins). Although it is not their strongest squad ever, they certainly have better players at their disposal than Ireland do. In a once off match, France would have to be clear favourites to do it against Ireland.

So all in all, I suppose there's a reasonable chance we'll qualify. On the surface, I like to think that I am still remaining confident we'll qualify. However, being an Ireland fan, subconciously I'm sure I'm getting prepared to be disappointed and getting ready for another summer not watching my country take part in a World Cup.

Johnny86 wrote: »
    Do the top seeds get a home game for the 2nd leg too so?

also i heard before that the playoffs could clash with the autumn internationals in croker? anyone hear that?

No, apparently thats to be done by a draw too

From wikipedia:
    A separate draw will be conducted to decide who will host the second leg

I'm guessing Platini will pull a few strings and France will be at home for their second leg.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    well Stevo, the last world cup play off draw was seeded, so unless the FAI have proof FIFA weren't planning on this one being the same, in reality FIFA aint doing anything wrong

Fcuk didnt know that.

Why they bother announce it would be seeded a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Iran again? :rolleyes:

Greece definitely, would have a decent chance against them. It's depressing that all the good results we got in the group may count for nothing.
    Would be nice too if we got home advantage for the second leg.

Have a feeling we'll get Portugal for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cake Man wrote: »
    Have a feeling we'll get Portugal for some reason.

have we any glamour model's handy to put Ronaldo off the night before the game?

assignment: 'Do A Paris.'

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but actually in the short term, the FAI stand to make a bit of cash if they were to be drawn against a big team like France in the play-offs

think your wrong there, id say they'd fill Croker whoever we were playin if it was a playoff, no?

Fcuk didnt know that.

Why they bother announce it would be seeded a few weeks ago?

It's FIFA. They basically do what the fcuk they want !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The more I think about it, I wouldnt mind getting France actually....went over there and got a 0-0 in last WC so why not again, I dont think they're any better now than they were then.

But its beating the big teams at home that we need to address. I know its been said many times but it hasnt happened competitively since Holland in 2001, (and that in itself was a bit of a freak, the Dutch shoulda been 4 up before MacAteer ever scored!!)

I suppose theres always a couple of score draws and squeezing through on penos, but I dont think my nerves could take that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

think your wrong there, id say they'd fill Croker whoever we were playin if it was a playoff, no?

lol, yeah definitely. It doesn't matter who we're playing, if the game decides whether or not we go to a World Cup, people will show up if we're playing Limerick U-16 Camogie team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I want France.

0-0 in Paris 1st leg.
    1-0 in Croker.

Order the Vuvuzela's on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Greece would be it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Russia would hammer us and so would Portugal more than likely.

As long as we avoid those two I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Russia would hammer us and so would Portugal more than likely.

As long as we avoid those two I'll be happy.
    Portugal may be without Ronaldo for the first play-off after injury.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12098_5622938,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

There's a seperate draw to see who plays home first. Greece would be the team go get alright. Hopefully the second leg is at croker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Really doesnt matter who we get as long as we have the second leg at home! In our last few play off losses (apart from Iran) we have been at home first and not done the business. Heres hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »

Why, in your opinion, did they wait to see how the group's were panning out before making the announcement?

Do you not think it should be unambigously stated before a ball is kicked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

on paper it should be France and Portugal, but frankly they've been playing so sh*t i don't think it makes a difference. They should tear us to pieces, but their coaches have been so incompetent of late I wouldn't mind drawing them to see how we get on. I certainly think Trapps system would do very well against them, although you would imagine the class of Ronaldo/Ribery to put them through over us.

Russia are obviously the one to avoid. Historically, we do not do well in Eastern Europe and it's the same of this team. I actually think it would be the most interesting tie though. Two top managers with very strict systems and ideas about football, a fairly even matched team (although Russia have a fair bit more class througout that would make them edge it).

Greece... I'm actually not sure. Their system may not necessarily suit us, we're geared more towards playing against teams better than us and containing them than overcoming a hard pressing defensive team like Greece. I'd hope our class on the wings would do a lot of damage against them, but they just play so compact I'm not sure we'd have much joy. Secondly, an away trip to Athens wouldn't be much more appealing than Moscow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we can take heart in the fact that we are the team to avoid in the second group.

I'd prefer Greece above all else obviously.

After that, I'd prefer France to Portugal without a doubt. Why? I think our defence would really struggle against pace, indeed it has in the past, and Portugal are just bloody fast. That said, they have no strikers, so their system can get stuck sometimes, but Ronaldo would just win the game on his own, so they are to be avoided.

I'd definately prefer Russia to both France and Portugal. I don't see how you couldn't. France have got flatly better players and in the playoffs, that's what I think really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

sugarman wrote: »
    Hundreds would flock to France for the away game though, thats the only plus and we did draw with em away last time but lost at home.(

Significantly more than just hundreds, thousands upon thousands travelled to Paris for the last game - Both O2 and vodafone's roaming capability crashed while we were in Paris due to the numbers of Irish :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

soma wrote: »
    Significantly more than just hundreds, thousands upon thousands travelled to Paris for the last game - Both O2 and vodafone's roaming capability crashed while we were in Paris due to the numbers of Irish :-)

I was there for that. Was great being allowed to drink beer at the ground too.

Would not mind another trip over TBH, they do not look any great shakes and is a fair easy trip. Would prefer Greece or Switzerland and as a lot have said would like to play the second leg at home.

Hmmmmmmm. I've never been to an Irish game and I've never been to Paris. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

i would love to get the Swiss, i would love it.

• Advertisement

whycliff wrote: »
    i would love to get the Swiss, i would love it.

Noooooooooooooooo not the bloody Swiss again!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

PHB wrote: »
    I think we can take heart in the fact that we are the team to avoid in the second group.

Don't know about that. I'd have said the Ukraine would be the ones to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

they're ranked lower then france, greece, russia, switzerland and portugal so we cant face them.

<edit> post above mine mentioned the czechs has been removed...im not crazy, i swear!

<Edit Again> having said that the Czechs might actually be one to hope for, if they get in, by the time the new rankings come out they might have moved ahead of Portugal. next rankings come out this month sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Switzerland only need a draw at home to Isreal to qualify. Greece are our only hope...realistically.
    Not sure Russia are as good as everyone says...they lost twice to an average German. We wouldn't have much chance against them.

Even to beat Greece we can't depend on set pieces we need to score from open play against a good team for once.

And I wonder if we will ever beat a good team away from home in a competitive fixture.

True that about the away fixture. I can't remember Ireland ever winning a meaningful fixture against good opposition unless you count Cyprus as good. I've seen them come close though but they always bottle it, the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Israel, and Switzerland are the examples I can think of offhand. It's so so Important we get the away fixture first as I honestly could see us getting an away goal against any of those sides. The seeding is still as unfair as ever or should I say the decision to seed so late in the day. I hope that all the seeded teams get beaten because while I enjoy the spectacle of two big teams playing each other in a big competition, to me the magic of a big competition like the World Cup is seeing a team to whom nobody gives a chance putting it up to a giant of the game. That's always such a pleasure to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I want France.

0-0 in Paris 1st leg.
    1-0 in Croker.

Order the Vuvuzela's on ebay.

I totally disagree that we'd beat France over two legs. Keeping a clean sheet 1-0 in Croker is highly unlikely given our previous for keeping leads in this competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

is the draw before or after the new FIFA rankings get published?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The_B_Man wrote: »
    is the draw before or after the new FIFA rankings get published?

Next Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Do Greece still have that like 90 year old guy in goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

so the FIFA rankings are out on Friday, and the draw is monday....according to google.

• Advertisement
Advertisement