Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROIs playoff for 2010 World Cup.. teams to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

is it defo that croker is the 1st game?

just wondering as the hill won't be available due to no seats (irish rugby playing on sunday 15th) therefore smaller capacity = less tickets :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

TO QUALIFY

FRANCE 1/3
    IRELAND 11/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    is it defo that croker is the 1st game?

just wondering as the hill won't be available due to no seats (irish rugby playing on sunday 15th) therefore smaller capacity = less tickets :mad:

The temp seating can't take that long to be taken out?

Surely it can in be in on the Saturday and be taken out after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I heard a strong rumour that Bertie Ahérn Is due to play upfront with keane whilst Brian Cowen Drops to left back, is this correct?

Bertie was always a centre back, so its b0llox imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

trap.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Scien wrote: »
    Ah, Defeatism , also only in Ireland.

Ah, realism, never in Ireland.

Just to complete the trend like. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

France :D:D:D:D:D:D

€1 million, you wasted €1 million!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

We're in the finals. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I know Italy are not what they used to be, but surely their defence would be classed as better than France's? If we can score 3 against Italy in 2 games then surely we can do some damage against france?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

I think we can beat france if all our top players are fit and available. It would be great to have Steven Reid back for both ties but due to fitness and injury it doesn't look very good. On a plus note, we have become a team very hard to beat and our set pieces are far superior to that a year or 2 ago. Plus we don't have Clinton Morrison on the team sheet anymore which means no off sides LOL!! That guy could never time his runs! Kevin Doyle and Keane are a good pair up front. All they need is good delivery from the midfield and the wingers McGeedy and Duff pushing up. We have a great chance of upsetting the French if our game plan and mentality on both days is 110%. I think drawing with the French is a great opperyunity to show what the team and manager has done in the last year. Lets just hope the Italian and team do it for us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kincsem wrote: »
    We're in the finals. :D

Bienvenue a Irlande, Mr. Frenchman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just told my Dad we got France and he's delighted. I told him I felt we were doomed and he was having none of it. Even offered me a €20 bet on the outcome. Couldn't believe my ears. I was tempted to take him up on it but I realised if I did so I might end up with split loyalties on the night. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I think we can beat france if all our top players are fit and available. It would be great to have Steven Reid back for both ties but due to fitness and injury it doesn't look very good. On a plus note, we have become a team very hard to beat and our set pieces are far superior to that a year or 2 ago. Plus we don't have Clinton Morrison on the team sheet anymore which means no off sides LOL!! That guy could never time his runs! Kevin Doyle and Keane are a good pair up front. All they need is good delivery from the midfield and the wingers McGeedy and Duff pushing up. We have a great chance of upsetting the French if our game plan and mentality on both days is 110%. I think drawing with the French is a great opperyunity to show what the team and manager has done in the last year. Lets just hope the Italian and team do it for us :D

Stephen Reid says in today's independent he'll be back within a week or so

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-crocked-claim-shocks-reid-1917507.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just told my Dad we got France and he's delighted. I told him I felt we were doomed and he was having none of it. Even offered me a €20 bet on the outcome. Couldn't believe my ears. I was tempted to take him up on it but I realised if I did so I might end up with split loyalties on the night. :D
    Your Dad is better off taking the bet with Paddy Power. He'll get a better return on his money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-crocked-claim-shocks-reid-1917507.html

That's great news, if we could get him back in the team I think he would make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

thorbarry wrote: »
    I know Italy are not what they used to be, but surely their defence would be classed as better than France's? If we can score 3 against Italy in 2 games then surely we can do some damage against france?

The other side of the coin, Italy have no quality strikers and France do. If we conceded three against the Italians then surely the French will score more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Definately. I wonder will he call up Andy Reid. He should at least have him on the bench. He's been excellent for Sunderland so far this season

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Will the capacity of Croke Park be smaller than previous internationals because of the Rugby the following day and the fact the Hill won't have any seats?

Thats awesome news....we may yet have a solid midfield so! :D I'd say he is relishing the chance to play in the two ties...I would keep Wehlan on and take off Andrews in place for Reid. Andrews isn't a great player at this level. At least Wehlan tackles!

McGeedy & Duff?? Lets not forget that its been Stephen Hunt & Liam Lawrence's free kick taking thats been giving us that edge on set pieces.

A mixture to include either Hunt or Lawrence for the best options IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest I am delighted. We seem to up our game against teams like France and we love the underdog tag. I expect this to be close with the odd goal deciding the outcome. If we do win I better make sure the phones are out of reach otherwise there will be gloating calls to Normandy :) (and I definitely won't be welcome at Christmas!)

gandalf wrote: »
    To be honest I am delighted. We seem to up our game against teams like France and we love the underdog tag.

And still get nothing better than a draw.

It's all well and good loving the underdog tag but the it counts for nothing if you can't turn it into wins, which we haven't really done since 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Xavi6 wrote: »

It's all well and good loving the underdog tag but the it counts for nothing if you can't turn it into wins, which we haven't really done since 2001.

Well then statistically we are due a win then :D

McGeedy & Duff?? Lets not forget that its been Stephen Hunt & Liam Lawrence's free kick taking thats been giving us that edge on set pieces.

A mixture to include either Hunt or Lawrence for the best options IMO.

I think Stephen Hunt would be best utilized as a player to come off the bench some time in the 2nd half. He is great at injecting pace down the wings when teams are tiring and of course his set pieces are getting better every game which is good to see. The only problem I have with him is he can't pick out good passes. And Liam Lawrence, he looks to be a fine player, but his fitness against Italy showed. He can improve on that though for these 2 crucial games to come. All I can say is Trap is gonna find it tough to pick the starting 11 and subs, especially the way players like Lawrence and Hunt have been playing :) Lets not forget abour Andy Reid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

As usual, Ryanair prices to Paris have shot up directly after the draw...

Anyone any ideas on how to get to Paris indirectly on a budget? I think they've even put up the prices on the flights to London so you can't even fly there cheaply & get the Eurostar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Two draws would be enough though.

0-0 1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Its time for management to start the homework. Get DVD's of every game in the France campaign, 3 weeks of domestic games to be visited, champions league games to be watched. Penalties and set pieces practised again and again at the next Irish training camp. Lets give this the best possible shot! We do the homework right, I believe we can beat them.

I'm glad that someone seems to know how football management works. You better give Trap a ring and let him know too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Des wrote: »

0-0 1-1

Was just about to post that. Yip, i'll take that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

rcs wrote: »

Anyone any ideas on how to get to Paris indirectly on a budget? I think they've even put up the prices on the flights to London so you can't even fly there cheaply & get the Eurostar
    Saw posted in poker forum you can do Ryanair to Luton, EasyJet to Paris for €120 or so. I think it said that.

Des wrote: »

0-0 1-1

Oh I know, and that's the best we can hope for imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

are away goals included in the playoffs??

also is the 1st leg kick off time confirmed its saying 7pm on bbc.....

realcam wrote: »
    I'm glad that someone seems to know how football management works. You better give Trap a ring and let him know too.

Erm, lisbon_lion, thanks for your thanks but I've been trying to be sarcastic there...:D

But maybe our time is here, that's the beauty of football.

Sunderland managed to get their second home win in 50 years against Liverpool on Saturday. And tbh, if it takes a dodgy deflection off a French Balloon to seal our win I'll take it!

madma wrote: »

No away goals don;t count at all in this. It's a new rule which is great because you can play with 11 forwards at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Erm, lisbon_lion, thanks for your thanks but I've been trying to be sarcastic there...:D

didnt convey that too well then did ye, as we all know trap has been pretty low key on the visits to games. Its time he got out and watched more games then so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

wexican wrote: »
    Will the capacity of Croke Park be smaller than previous internationals because of the Rugby the following day and the fact the Hill won't have any seats?

tbh id say they will just have the hill seated for the rugby too! they did it in past matches when i was workin there! the hill is the away section so they will have to have it ready for the french! id almost put money on it, the hill will have the bucket seats for both games!

No away goals don;t count at all in this.
    You sure?

Can someone confirm this? Does it go to penalties if it's an aggregate draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

rcs wrote: »

Last couple of times I've gone to London, I've gone ferry plus train. Only about an hour in the difference when you factor in the airport waits and the time actually getting into London.

Info here: http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

Then Eurostar I guess, would probably be a much more enjoyable journey then a couple of short flights.

madma wrote: »

also is the 1st leg kick off time confirmed its saying 7pm on bbc.....

Yes, away goals will count for double should the teams have an equal aggregate score, as per pretty much all knock out competitions these days, and how its always been for the play-offs iirc.

If the sides are still drawn at the end of the second leg (180mins total), the usual 15 mins EW extra time will be played, plus a penalty shootout (to include sudden death) if required.

I hope that spells it out plainly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

tbh id say they will just have the hill seated for the rugby too! they did it in past matches when i was workin there! the hill is the away section so they will have to have it ready for the french! id almost put money on it, the hill will have the bucket seats for both games!
    Are the Rugby tickets not on sale yet? That would rule out seating for that game

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You sure?

Are we all being a bit slow today or are my jokes this crap?*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brian Kerr's given his reaction...
    Kerr lauds French spirit

Former Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr believes a rejuvenated France will set a stern test for Ireland next month.

Kerr took charge of the Irish side for two World Cup qualifiers against France in 2004 and 2005, with Ireland holding Les Bleus to a scoreless draw in Paris before Thierry Henry decided the Lansdowne Road contest in France’s favour.

More recently, the Dubliner has seen France at close quarters in his capacity as Faroe Islands manager, with Raymond Domenech’s men taking a narrow 1-0 win in Torshavn before putting five past the Faroes at the Stade de France last week.

And Kerr believes talk of France’s lack of spirit is misplaced on the evidence of recent outings.

He told RTE Radio One’s News at One: “I think they’re in very good shape at the moment. Although they only finished in second place in the group, I’ve watched all their games either on tape or live when we played against them, and I thought they were a very good side.

“Far from the talk of bad morale and disputes with the manager, it looked to me like the morale was very strong last week when we played in France.

“In the Faroes they looked a lot more vulnerable and in the group they have conceded goals [but] they’re a fantastic attacking unit.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

France is the one team the management didn't want. And tbh i really don't fancy our chances. The one thing going in our favour imo is the fact that, apparently, they are muck at defending set pieces. Lawrence will definitely start for us. Maybe we can get 2 or 3 goals from set pieces over the two legs. Maybe it would be enough. *starts to dream*

That's so weird. What Trap said seems to be so far off the mark. It reminds me of what he said about JOS after the Cypress game just gone - he said that John would have to have a few games off because of a blood clot on his calf iirc, next Sat JOS turned out for United not a bother. Maybe Trap is superstitious about injuries and always believes the worst or something. Either way if S Reid could play any part in the play-offs it would be a massive boost for us.

For people looking for a cheap way to get to Paris: Combined ferry and train ticket Dublin to central London normally costs about €70-€100 return iirc, you buy them from Irish Ferries. I imagine the train return London to Paris would cost less and you might be able to buy the entire through ticket from Irish Ferries but i don't know. For the Dublin-London leg if you leave at 8am you arrive at 4pm so the whole journey can almost certainly be done in one day. That would be €200 return max, i guess that's cheaper than what the airlines will charge at this stage.

gosplan wrote: »
    Last couple of times I've gone to London, I've gone ferry plus train. Only about an hour in the difference when you factor in the airport waits and the time actually getting into London.

Info here: http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

Then Eurostar I guess, would probably be a much more enjoyable journey then a couple of short flights.
    Don't think the times would make that viable.
    #

Sail from Dublin Ferryport to Holyhead on Irish Ferries superferry 'Ulysses', leaving Dublin Ferryport terminal 1 daily at 08:05 and arriving Holyhead at 11:30. The Ulysses is the world's largest car ferry, with excellent on board accommodation including bars, restaurant, cinema, children's play area and even private cabin for an extra charge. At Holyhead, a courtesy bus transfers you to the passenger terminal and station. Alternatively, there's a competing Stena Line ship, the Stena Adventurer, leaving Dublin Ferryport terminal 2 at 08:20, arriving Holyhead at 11:25, you can book this on the form above by entering 'Dublin Port (Stena)' instead of Dublin Port (Irish Ferries).
    #

Travel by train from Holyhead to London. On Mondays-Fridays, leave Holyhead at 13:58 on a direct train to London arriving London Euston at 17:38. On Saturdays, leave Holyhead at 14:36 on a direct train to London, arriving London Euston 18:38. On Sundays leave Holyhead at 13:55 on a direct train to London, arriving London Euston at 17:44. Always use www.nationalrail.co.uk to check train times for your specific date of travel. It's a scenic trip along the north Wales coast, see the London-Dublin section above for an account of this journey.
    #

The fare from Dublin to London on this service is just £29 one-way (children under 16 half price, under 5s free).
    It'd be seriously tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Meh, to be honest, bar getting Greece, all other teams had their pro's and cons, and I don't think theirs a massive difference in advantages we could take from any of the 3.

Sure, France probably have the strongest sqaud, but they've a sh*t manager and there seems to be civil unrest in the sqaud. That'll do for me....let's get stuck into them and drag them into a brawl and we'll get the result ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Got a Eurostar ticket for 59GBP. But they're disappearing fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Maybe I'm just getting carried away here, but will the team be able to handle going into the tournament as an outside favorite, once we dump out France in the play offs? :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Guys i think its a great draw! I was praying we didn't get Portugal or Russia - Portugal because they'd rip us to pieces and the Russians because of their plastic pitch and we'd almost certainly lose in Moscow.

With France, they are to be feared obviously, on any given day they can demolish a team too, but they also have a soft underbelly and conceed silly goals. We're certainly capable of beating them in Croker. It all depends what kind of France turns up over the two legs. The one where Anelka is sulking or the one were he's on fire.

I give us a great chance. It will be a close run thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I was hoping for either greece or france, I dont think we would have had a chance against portugal or russia.

We only have a small chance against france but its better than no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Have we any chance against France?

• Advertisement
Advertisement