Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROIs playoff for 2010 World Cup.. teams to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

JP Liz wrote: »
    Have we any chance against France?

we will win 1-0 at Croke Park...go to Paris...score an early away goal and then we will go through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

France didn't qualify for the WC in '90 and '94....hopefully it will happen again now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

TripleAce wrote: »
    France didn't qualify for the WC in '90 and '94....hopefully it will happen again now!

Oh yeah, and we did. Yeah, feck it, its about time we got there ahead of them again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

TripleAce wrote: »
    Ironically they are the two years that we did.

Hopefully there's a pattern evolving here. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think France are a bit uneven in performances, more so than other teams although kind of similar to ourselves.

We up our game against good opposition and usually play out of our skin. It will be close either way but I'd hope we could put in a good show and do it but we aren't the favorites (although not a bad thing either as we'd probably do crap if we were).

No pressure lads, now kick their arses! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Italy are a better team than France and we done alright with them.

France have some great individuals but have been ordinary recently, I caught a bit of their trip to Faroe's and they were woeful.

I think we've got a great chance, we have come close with them before, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if we manage to go through, hopefully the possibility of making the finals brings out the best in our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

french dont fear us at all...
    Entirely in agreement with the frame of mind of the last messages: They are going to annihilate Ireland, they are better than them, they do not frighten us, it is in the pocket, a joke for a so strong team as our...
    How not to think that we are inevitably going to qualify ourselves? It is already made no problem let us see!

french dont fear us at all...
    Where is that quote from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

You could probably find similar quotes for when there qualifying group was drawn.

Anyway does French arrogance actually surprise people?*

* apologies to French people for the mass generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Stephen Reid says in today's independent he'll be back within a week or so

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-crocked-claim-shocks-reid-1917507.html

I think thats great news, i think we need to have this team for both legs, now that i think about it Andy Reid would make a great impact if we needed to come back from a goal or 2

Given

Finnan
    Dunne
    St. Ledger
    Oshea

Duff
    S Reid
    Whelan
    McGeady

Keane
    Doyle

I would feel quiet confident with that team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Villain wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas on getting there cheaply?

You could always walk and swim; couldn't get cheaper than that and if you set off today you could make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Cmon Ireland...put em under pressure!! 1-0 at home with a late goal after being under the cosh, and a squeaky bum style 0-0 away....COME ON IRELAND!!!! My summer holidays next year are DEPENDING ON IT!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

BENZEMA,HENRY,ANELKA,,RIBERY,MALOUDA.....
    We will not cope with this firepower.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fair few games to be played between now and November. Injuries may have their part to play.

Ireland will need to hope that they get plenty of opportunities to get high balls into the box, especially from free-kicks and corners when Dunne and co can get forward.

On paper Ireland have plenty to fear, but with Domenech in charge it doesn't seem to translate onto the pitch

Let's not forget that they were abysmal in the euro finals in 2008 and there hasn't been much improvement since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Where is that quote from?

http://www.lequipe.fr/

some are cautious but most seem very confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Stacksey wrote: »
    I think thats great news, i think we need to have this team for both legs, now that i think about it Andy Reid would make a great impact if we needed to come back from a goal or 2

Given

Finnan
    Dunne
    St. Ledger
    Oshea

Duff
    S Reid
    Whelan
    McGeady

Keane
    Doyle

I would feel quiet confident with that team

I wouldnt !! :(

Lloris

Sagna
    Abidal
    Gallas
    Evra

Ribery
    Diarra
    Toulalan
    Malouda

Benzema
    Henry

+ Clichy, Anelka,Gourcuff, Mexas, Nasri etc etc

But seriously, il pray we do it. Just hope France dont score in dublin. If we can keep it tight, then anything could happen. The French crowd would be on the players backs from word GO in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Domenech's given his assessment:
    'We know what we have to do. Whatever the opponent, I would have said exactly the same thing, the aim is to qualify for the World Cup,' Domenech told RTL radio.

'It's Ireland, and we just have to get on with it. The advantage is that we all know the team, it's like another England.

'They all play in the English league and all the (French) players know them. We even have some players who play alongside them, so there won't be too many surprises. We know what to expect.'

'Their team haven't lost a match in qualifying and they drew with Italy in their last match, after conceding a goal in the dying minutes,' he added.

'With most of their players in the (English) Premier League, they're quite a solid team. But so are we.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    BENZEMA,HENRY,ANELKA,,RIBERY,MALOUDA.....
    We will not cope with this firepower.:(

And that's leaving out they're joint top scorer for this campaign, Gignac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Stacksey wrote: »

Given

Finnan
    Dunne
    St. Ledger
    Oshea

Duff
    S Reid
    Whelan
    McGeady

Keane
    Doyle

Why Duff? The guy has played like a turd for a few years now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Awesome, I just moved in with a french guy!

and unlike me he seems too nice to rub it in if they beat us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Domenech wrote:
    It's Ireland, and we just have to get on with it

It sounds like Ireland were the team they hoped they wouldn't face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

If it proves to be the case that S.Reid is back, then I would be more confident. I would also love to see a kiss and makeup between Trappatoni and Andy Reid. This would extend our options on the bench.

France will be tough, and getting a win may be even tougher. However, the team is not dis-similar to the Belgian side in 1997. Reasonably good, but internally are not at the races

I babel fished an article from L'equipe about the draw,not very insightful i'm afraid.:pac:
    L' equip with France will meet l' Ireland in stoppings d' accession with the World cup 2010. Such was the first drawn meeting with the fate, Monday in Zurich, the head office of the FIFA, in a ceremony which joined together the ' ' eight better deuxièmes' ' zone Europe. L' order d' appearance of the balls makes that the stopping outward journey will take place in Dublin on November 14 and the return match to the Stade de France on November 18, which is certainly the best news of pulling. Three defeats in l' Trapattoni era, all friendly The other meetings will be Greece - Ukraine, Russia - Slovenia and Bosnia - Portugal. Second of group 8 behind l' Italy in qualifications with 18 points against 24, l' Ireland, aujourd' today pulled by Giovanni Trapattoni, n' into ten matches did not lose. It recorded six victioires and four null, vis-a-vis two the best equips with its hen, l' Italy (1-1, 2-2) and Bulgaria (1-1, 1-1). It is 34e with classification FIFA and n' took part more in a final stage of World since 2002. Since the nomination of Giovanni Trapattoni, l' Ireland n' lost that three meetings, all friendly, Brazil in February 2008 (0-1), Poland in August 2008 (2-3) and l' Australia in August 2009 (0-3). Four years after, of the meeting again Among all the teams which France was suitable for meet, l' Ireland is the nation against which France with the oldest history. The assessment is balanced enough, with 5 French victories, 4 null and 4 defeats. The last face to face between the Greens and the Blue ones only goes back to four years. Placed in same hen for the World cup 2006, the two countries had made 0-0 at the Stade de France in spring 2005, in an environment mainly Celtic, and Henry had made rock the return match to Dublin, in September of the same year, in a decisive meeting for the qualification (1-0). The match had taken place at Lansdowne Road, shaved in 2007. This time, it will be probably with Croke Park and its 82.300 places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Have they announced what time the home game will be at yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there are so many posts here, I couldnt go through all of them! They lost to Austria and finnished behind Serbia! This post isnt directed at the majority on here, its directed at the maybe 5 - 10% who will be going, France will hammer us, the same way Italy were going to hammer us! (we should have beaten them twice) Do i think France will be favourites yes... slightly maybe, 60 - 40% at worst for Ireland! More like 55% - 45%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

This has "France and their superstars will do just enough to get through this and qualify for this leaving Ireland at home this summer" written all over it.

I mean, even if France completely fúck it up in Dublin (which, btw, would mean we draw 1-1, or at absolute best we'd win 1-0), they then have a chance to go out and give a performance in front of their own fans.

Like, i want to believe, and in my heart I strongly believe we'll go through, but in my head, I know we are huge, huge underdogs.

Seriously, when the pressure is on, and both teams have to perform, I'm sure the likes of Kilbane, Whelan and Doyle will play their hearts out, but they still can't compete with the likes of Gallas, Ribery and Henry. I mean, jesus, we praise the likes of O'Shea, Dunne and Keane for being good Premiership players. Look at France's strength in depth; Sagna, Evra, Gallas, Clichy, Malouda, Nasri, Diaby, Anelka. That's just their England-based players! Comparing them with our 'good Prem players', we come out a mile behind. C'mon, who would you rather have? Dunne vs Gallas. O'Shea vs Sagna. Duff vs Malouda. Nasri vs Hunt. Keane vs Anelka. We're a mile behind, and that's when comparing our BEST players with their players in those positions. Don't even get me started comparing Diarra vs Whelan and Doyle vs Benzema. At least our star man McGeady is well able to match their star man Ribery :pac:

The ONLY advantages we have, are Trapattoni vs Domenech and Given vs Lloris. We are thouroughly outmatched in every other department. I know, it's not players vs players but Ireland vs France, but even so, I can't see how we can outmatch the quality France have. It's just going to be too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Although my mindset is a bit doom and gloom about the whole thing, it really all comes down to the day. We could catch France on one of the many off days they're having lately and run rings around them - or we could do our usual of ****ting bricks at home, clawing onto a boring 0-0 draw, and get hammered in Paris.

Honestly, it's anyone's game. But we're going to have to really do the business in Croker to stand a chance. Hopefully Trap will have the schtick out.

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    This has "France and their superstars will do just enough to get through this and qualify for this leaving Ireland at home this summer" written all over it.

I mean, even if France completely fúck it up in Dublin (which, btw, would mean we draw 1-1, or at absolute best we'd win 1-0), they then have a chance to go out and give a performance in front of their own fans.

Like, i want to believe, and in my heart I strongly believe we'll go through, but in my head, I know we are huge, huge underdogs.

Seriously, when the pressure is on, and both teams have to perform, I'm sure the likes of Kilbane, Whelan and Doyle will play their hearts out, but they still can't compete with the likes of Gallas, Ribery and Henry. I mean, jesus, we praise the likes of O'Shea, Dunne and Keane for being good Premiership players. Look at France's strength in depth; Sagna, Evra, Gallas, Clichy, Malouda, Nasri, Diaby, Anelka. That's just their England-based players! Comparing them with our 'good Prem players', we come out a mile ahead. C'mon, who would you rather have? Dunne vs Gallas. O'Shea vs Sagna. Duff vs Malouda. Nasri vs Hunt. Keane vs Anelka. We're a mile behind, and that's when comparing our BEST players with their players in those positions. Don't even get me started comparing Diarra vs Whelan and Doyle vs Benzema. At least our star man McGeady is well able to match their star man Ribery :pac:

The ONLY advantages we have, are Trapattoni vs Domenech and Given vs Lloris. We are thouroughly outmatched in every other department. I know, it's not players vs players but Ireland vs France, but even so, I can't see how we can outmatch the quality France have. It's just going to be too hard.

Good post. I agree with your thoughts.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say if we do make the World Cup, and prevent France from getting there, it will be our finest hour in this sport.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Why Duff? The guy has played like a turd for a few years now.
    Have you even watched Ireland play over the last few years? :rolleyes:

Tellox wrote: »
    We could catch France on one of the many off days they're having lately and run rings around them

:confused:
    This Irish team doesn't run rings around anyone let alone France!

Btw good post Jam-fly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's ridiculous people puting Steven Reid in their likely team- he definitely won't have full match fitness by nov 14 and even if he does I can't see trap putting him instead of whelan and Andrews for these games in an untried midfield!

I really think Lawrance needs to start though! Frances main weakness is their inability to defend set pieces and Lawrence has got undoubted ability at set piece deliveries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It's ridiculous people puting Steven Reid in their likely team- he definitely won't have full match fitness by nov 14 and even if he does I can't see trap putting him instead of whelan and Andrews for these games in an untried midfield!

I really think Lawrance needs to start though! Frances main weakness is their inability to defend set pieces and Lawrence has got undoubted ability at set piece deliveries!
    Lawerence really struggled in the last 20 minutes against Italy wasn't fit enough to play for 90 minutes he didn't have the legs to track back for the last goal so if trap plays him he'll have to take him off because our defensive style requires a serious level of fitness.

So has Hunt though. Wasn't it Hunt that provided the assist for St. Ledger against Italy? Out of Duff, Hunt, McGeady and Lawrence, personally I would play Hunt and Duff as I feel they can best get the balance right in defence and attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Good post. I agree with your thoughts.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say if we do make the World Cup, and prevent France from getting there, it will be our finest hour in this sport.
    Just over 3 hours tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hopefully Folan is fit! he will be a great assett if we looking for someone to hold up the long balls and as a target man! atleast with our wingers, we have players who are very good at winning free kicks! I wrote at lengths about this on foot.ie and the majority agreed, that Keane and Doyle are too similar, we dont play it on the ground, we have no centre midfield. I think Folan did a great job in Italy. Look I dont care, how we play our football, once we get to the world cup! Im sure thats the opinion of most on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Hunt should play over Lawrence, i am a fan of LL, but Hunt is the type of player we need, he wins free-kicks out of nothing and delivers well. McGeady might be fit and Trap could be tempted but i would go with Hunt/Duff.

Caleb back will be great but he wont start, will come on at 65/70mins and DESTROY.

If Steven Reid is in anyway fit, he has to play imo. He plays the role Trap wants to play, but he plays it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lawrence to start, with Hunt or McGeady coming off the bench to torment tired fullbacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Jam-Fly wrote: »

In fairness having a better keeper is a significant advantage. Even if they can beat our other players they'll still have to deal with a decent defense (not world best beating but it is decent as long we aren't a goal up) and an excellent keeper.

Gives us a good shot to get a draw and maybe sneak a cheeky goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Hugo LLORIS
    Bakari SAGNA
    Eric ABIDAL
    William GALLAS
    Lassana DIARRA
    Yoann GOURCUFF
    Nicolas ANELKA
    Andre-Pierre GIGNAC
    (C) Thierry HENRY
    Patrice EVRA
    Jeremy TOULALAN

Starting 11 in Belgrade,Malouda and Benzema stayed whole game on the bench,Ribery was in at 77.min and if you take the fact that this was the game they had to win,pretty weird decision...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

An interview from www.ff.fr Domenech...

On a le match retour à domicile mais avec les Irlandais, on ne sait pas trop ce que cela signifie à domicile. Si on se souvient de notre dernière confrontation au Stade de France en octobre 2004, il y avait la présence de 30.000 Irlandais dans le stade. Déjà si on pouvait éviter cela, ce serait une première victoire. Je lance un appel à ceux qui soutiennent l'Equipe de France pour vite se mobiliser et avoir des gradins en bleu, blanc, rouge.

We have the return match at home but against the Irish we don't really know what 'at home' means. If we remember the last time we played them at the Stade de France in October 2004 there were 30,000 Irish in the stadium. So if we could avoid that it would already be a first victory. I call upon all who support France to quickly prepare themselves and have the seats draped in blue, white and red.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hugo LLORIS
    Bakari SAGNA
    Eric ABIDAL
    William GALLAS
    Lassana DIARRA
    Yoann GOURCUFF
    Nicolas ANELKA
    Andre-Pierre GIGNAC
    (C) Thierry HENRY
    Patrice EVRA
    Jeremy TOULALAN

Starting 11 in Belgrade,Malouda and Benzema stayed whole game on the bench,Ribery was in at 77.min and if you take the fact that this was the game
    they had to win,pretty weird decision...

Yeah benzema came out publically and said something along the lines of he finds it very hard to perform for France! It's far from a settled camp which has to be a bonus!

I think Gourcuff is the major threat to us, he's playing some really good football for club and country! We can't afford to let him dominate the game like Pirlo did at croker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I knew we would get France! *THIS IS GONNA BE GRRREAT!"*

* Couldn't find a picture of the Amstel beer chap, but he's there in spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Delighted we got France. It's going to be fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Alright here is the team I would like to see.
    Our usual tried and tested back 5. They have been fairly solid throughout the campaign. No need to mess about with that.
    Duff right/left wing. By far the most creative force in the team.
    Stephen Hunt. Work rate is fantastic he won't give anybody an inch of space along the flank which is important. Let him and Duff interchange if things are not working out.

Whelan and Andrews centre midfield. Both really lacking if football talent but you are guaranteed they will be well drilled. They are well organised defensively.

Up front it's gotta be Keane and Doyle. Keane trying to latch onto flicked on headers from Doyle.

I would like to see Ireland take a negative approach to this game and keep it 0-0 if possible (obviously going for goals on set pieces etc.) Then if it is still 0-0 with about 20 minutes left time to bring on our creative players and go for the win. McGeady, who we know can be a nightmare for a tired defender, in for Hunt. Stephen Reid, can make a defense splitting pass and has good long shots so bring him in for Andrews or Whelan depending on how they are performing. And Andy Reid (hopefully) or Liam Lawrence, with his quality free kicks would also be a nice addition.

Call me negative but I think if we try play football for 90 minutes against this France team we will be destroyed. We can do it, but our chance are very slim. Let's not kid ourselves.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Be a great occassion whatever the outcome.

Let's be fair, Traps is a haunted F bastard and I think we'll get through on penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jayteecork wrote: »
    Be a great occassion whatever the outcome.

Let's be fair, Traps is a haunted F bastard and I think we'll get through on penos.

I'll take that dont care how we do it once we get there.

Going be some night in Croker but nervous one too.

Be different to Italy game even if we win say 1-0 there wont be many fans going to crazy knowing second leg is that wednesday.

Common Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Common Ireland
    Speak for yourself. Pighead lives in a stately home surrounded by butlers, maids and show horses.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hope it's not a repeat of the Italy game - 1-1 in Italy, imagine their last minute goal in Croker would have sent them through on away goals.
    Would have been unimaginably sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

How about Andy Reid to score a 93rd min winner in Paris to send us through 1-0 on aggregate, take off his shirt to reveal a chizzled six pack and jump into the arms of Giovanni Trappatoni?

I think its destiny.

• Advertisement

Yeah benzema came out publically and said something along the lines of he finds it very hard to perform for France! It's far from a settled camp which has to be a bonus!

I think Gourcuff is the major threat to us, he's playing some really good football for club and country! We can't afford to let him dominate the game like Pirlo did at croker!

Ribery was recovering from an injury.

Advertisement