Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROIs playoff for 2010 World Cup.. teams to avoid?

1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    I'm sure the likes of Kilbane, Whelan and Doyle will play their hearts out, but they still can't compete with the likes of Gallas, Ribery and Henry. I mean, jesus, we praise the likes of O'Shea, Dunne and Keane for being good Premiership players. Look at France's strength in depth; Sagna, Evra, Gallas, Clichy, Malouda, Nasri, Diaby, Anelka. That's just their England-based players! Comparing them with our 'good Prem players', we come out a mile behind. C'mon, who would you rather have? Dunne vs Gallas. O'Shea vs Sagna. Duff vs Malouda. Nasri vs Hunt. Keane vs Anelka. We're a mile behind, and that's when comparing our BEST players with their players in those positions

Right. I hear what ur saying. And I know that the guys are probably more skillful overall than the Irish players. But honestly, if the pairs you just put on the boards there did a little game that an old coach of mine used to love...pure battle little game.

You're standing shoulder to shoulder and the coach is behind the two of you. He will throw the ball over ye but you don't know when or how far but the moment you see it you go for it and get possession against the other guy and bring it back to or past the coach.

If those pairs played that game say ten times each do you really think the Irish guys in your pairs wouldn't be up to it? I'd say ...

Dunne vs. Gallas 6:4
    O'Shea vs. Sagna 6:4
    Duff vs. Malouda 5:5
    Hunt vs. Nasri vs. 7:3 (he'd hate him)
    Keane vs. Anelka 6:4

Ok, Ribery would have McGeady for breakfast I think.

Now I know this doesn't mean a thing especially since they don't play each other. But I'm trying to make a point. I don't think they're that bad. It's just the other, exotic name guys always seem to be (sound) better. The grass is always greener... that kinda way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    How about Andy Reid to score a 93rd min winner in Paris to send us through 1-0 on aggregate, take off his shirt to reveal a chizzled six pack and jump into the arms of Giovanni Trappatoni?

I think its destiny.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

the problem is the 2 legs. I'd fancy ireland in a one off game, an early Keane goal + some heroic defense from dunne + world class saves from Given and its easy to see us beating just about anyone. Over 2 games, 180 mins, you'd have to fancy the better players to prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

realcam wrote: »
    If those pairs played that game say ten times each do you really think the Irish guys in your pairs wouldn't be up to it? I'd say ...

Interesting conjecture, although I think you're wrong with the scoring. Those scores could be quite easily reversed (apart from Ribery - McGeady obviously)

Either way it doesn't really matter. I think of more import is that despite the better players, France have been below par for at least 2 years now and there's no sign of that changing. This is Ireland's to lose IMHO,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Why Duff? The guy has played like a turd for a few years now.

Oh dear..
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Have you even watched Ireland play over the last few years? :rolleyes:

Clearly not.

On the subject of Lawrence, I would like to see McGeady running at the French but the job Lawrence done against Italy outstanding.

For me Duff is a definite starter, Hunt is a definite sub and the other place is between them two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

realcam wrote: »
    Right. I hear what ur saying. And I know that the guys are probably more skillful overall than the Irish players. But honestly, if the pairs you just put on the boards there did a little game that an old coach of mine used to love...pure battle little game.

You're standing shoulder to shoulder and the coach is behind the two of you. He will throw the ball over ye but you don't know when or how far but the moment you see it you go for it and get possession against the other guy and bring it back to or past the coach.

Now I know this doesn't mean a thing especially since they don't play each other. But I'm trying to make a point. I don't think they're that bad. It's just the other, exotic name guys always seem to be (sound) better. The grass is always greener... that kinda way.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you in one sense. Those players aren't THAT much better than the other players. But being realistic, if you were to ask 10 Premiership managers, 10 international managers, 10 Ligue 1 managers and 10 LOI managers which player they'd prefer to have playing for them, week in, week out, I'm sure well over 80% would choose the French players. I'm not saying that Keane can't compete with the likes of Anelka, but when there's 10 players on the park who are 'slightly' better than their opponents, that adds up to quite an advantage.

Ireland are an international quality team like France. France are just a slightly better international quality team with more world class players. The game will competitive, and will be relatively close, but if you had put your house on it, you'd have to put it on France, because they are the better team with the better players. Not much better, but the are surely the clear favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I admire the optomism here I really do, and Ireland have a chance no doubt but the reality is that France have better players and are clear favourites no matter what way you spin it.

For all the bollox that's been posted on this forum over the last few weeks about Trappatoni,thank god he's leading this squad into these games,if anyone can get these players past France it's him imo.

It's going to be exciting,that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I know this was brought up earlier but LeMonde had a poll about the draw. The results earlier were interesting. See attached image.

Anybody know how that ended up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

CHD wrote: »
    Are the Rugby tickets not on sale yet? That would rule out seating for that game

not necessarily, the rugby tickets are usually sold in chunks and blocks, so they just have to seat hill 16 and anyone with a hill ticket gets first come first served, unreserved seating! (like the east upper stand was on a few occasions in lansdowne)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

not necessarily, the rugby tickets are usually sold in chunks and blocks, so they just have to seat hill 16 and anyone with a hill ticket gets first come first served, unreserved seating! (like the east upper stand was on a few occasions in lansdowne)
    Hopefully this will be the case so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Liam brady was talking to steve finan and he's back in contention for the playoff's and so is steven reid appearently huge boost if they make it thru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Rugby tickets were on sale, but the Australia and South Africa games sold out. Both had standing tickets in the Hill.

That means if the FAI want to use the hill they will have to get the seating out before the game the following day.

Rugby tickets were on sale, but the Australia and South Africa games sold out. Both had standing tickets in the Hill.

That means if the FAI want to use the hill they will have to get the seating out before the game the following day.
    If they can work through the night for U2 they can do it for the biggest match in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Compare the costs to working through the night to the revenue generated by having a full Hill. No brainer really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'n not saying the won't or can't. I'm saying what they will have to do.

The rugby tickets have been allocated and sold so the IRFU won't be turning around and saying a sure its grand lads you can leave the seats in.

I don't even know how long it would take to remove the seating. Could be something that can be done relatively quickly and could be done on the Sunday itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

FAI should use the Hill as a standing area. Put the French fans in a seated area somewhere else in the ground. Fantastic to have a screaming Hill and an 80,000 crowd for this game.

UEFA will fine us a decent chunk afaik, but about 1/4 the countries in Europe still seem to have standing areas for their games so I don't think its that big a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

greendom wrote: »
    Interesting conjecture, although I think you're wrong with the scoring. Those scores could be quite easily reversed (apart from Ribery - McGeady obviously)

Maybe so, what I'm getting at is that they're not lightyears better. It's not like it's me who's playing Ribery. (haha)
    Whatever advantage they may have can be equalized with grit and determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

UEFA will fine us a decent chunk afaik, but about 1/4 the countries in Europe still seem to have standing areas for their games so I don't think its that big a deal.

Maybe we could ask UEFA to change the rules...it worked for France ;)

FAI should use the Hill as a standing area. Put the French fans in a seated area somewhere else in the ground. Fantastic to have a screaming Hill and an 80,000 crowd for this game.

Platini will just ban us and send France through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

CHD wrote: »
    Platini will just ban us and send France through.

Then that would be our greatest moral victory ever. :)

Seriously I'm never sure of what the exact 'seated' rules are.
    I've seen lots of qualifying internationals in this campaign on Eurosport, and loads of countries seem to use standing areas.
    Obviously I can't think of a specific example, but I think they were mainly Easterm European.

Extra people won't get in and it's very safe and used multiple times a year with no problems. It's retarded we can't pack the Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Liam brady was talking to steve finan and he's back in contention for the playoff's and so is steven reid appearently huge boost if they make it thru

Any link for the Finnan quote?
    I read the piece on reid in the indo yesterday he seemed rather bemused by trap's comments and is set to play in the carling cup next week so if he gets what 4 games under his belt i would have him straight in the team.

If we got Finnan and the two Reids back in the squad for this i would be much more willing to believe we can do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Do we know if FIFA have stated if away goals count in case of an overall draw in these ties ?
    I just wonder if it will be
    i) they don't count
    ii) they count in normal time
    iii) they count in extra time
    iv) FIFA will decide when the chips are down and only when they see which suits best to get France and Portugal to South Africa.
    I presume the FAI will be told before the games take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

jacool wrote: »

I would imagine FIFA will decide after the matches take place...

Do we know if FIFA have stated if away goals count in case of an overall draw in these ties ?
    i) they don't count
    iv) FIFA will decide when the chips are down and only when they see which suits best to get France and Portugal to South Africa.
    John Delaney was on the radio yesterday and today saying that they do count. And in the case of it still being level after the 180 mins, then extra, then (God forbid!) penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    then (God forbid!) penos.

Certain as night follows day obv. They can never do it any way but the most excruciatingly painful.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Certain as night follows day obv. They can never do it any way but the most excruciatingly painful.
    The only good thing about it going to penos is that we would've held them for the two matches. But I wouldn't be confident on us going through on penos though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

i) they don't count

1. I and others already posted the rules for the play-offs.

2. A quick look on FIFA.com (funny that) will tell you.

3. Its always been the same. Away goals count in case of a drawn score.
    The only good thing about it going to penos is that we would've held them for the two matches. But I wouldn't be confident on us going through on penos though.

TBH if someone said to me know that we would take the French to a penalty shoot-out to qualify, I would be MORE than happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

woodyg wrote: »
    Any link for the Finnan quote?
    I read the piece on reid in the indo yesterday he seemed rather bemused by trap's comments and is set to play in the carling cup next week so if he gets what 4 games under his belt i would have him straight in the team.

If we got Finnan and the two Reids back in the squad for this i would be much more willing to believe we can do the job.
    Sorry should of put it in earlier Irish Times:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/1020/1224257057250.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

I don't get it, why did he implement the new rules when he knew himself it was the wrong thing to do?? There must be something going on in the backround at Fifa hq ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

that's good news on Finnan and if Reid does get say 4 games in now he should be good to start.

Finnan woul allow for O'Shea to replace Kilbane at left full and that would give us a very solid back 5.

Reid would improve the centre area giving us an actual box to box player.
    If Andy bites his lip and says sorry (i know both should but the player should take upon himself) that would mean a serious difference in the middle.

Any one apply for the away leg?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sorry about this maybe stupid question but can we expect the ref to be in Fifa/French FA/Michel Platini's pocket?

We saw how FIFa changed the seedings at the last moment so the "big" teams have a chance of going through, but what's stopping them from leaving it at that?

I'm sure we can forget about any penalites, any 50/50 decisions going our way?

Could I be right herr or maybe I'm just being paranoid.
    I'm just a casual football fan so don't really know if this stuff goes on anymore, but the money at stake and the backlash for the French football federation and their jobs if they fail to qualify must be immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well if it is that corrupt then it depends on one thing.....whether or not domenach is mates with Platini.

Domenech will lose his job if France don't qualify, so they say.

Going by that logic, Platini will want to help his friend and IF the ref is corrupted, we'll lose all the 50/50's.
    However, if Platini doesnt like Domenech and IF the ref is corrupted, we'll get all the 50/50's.

But, I don't think the ref will be corrupted. I reckon it'll go down to purely whos better over 2 legs. but sure if we lost and the same ref gets the WC final, then we'll know for sure!! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement