Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROIs playoff for 2010 World Cup.. teams to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, draw's next moday. Not sure what time though. Hopefully there'll be some form of live coverage on it if only to make sure the FIFA heads aren't cheating although if they really wanted to I'm sure they would find a way in any case.

Its at 1pm Irish time and it will be streamed live on www.fifa.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, draw's next moday. Not sure what time though. Hopefully there'll be some form of live coverage on it if only to make sure the FIFA heads aren't cheating although if they really wanted to I'm sure they would find a way in any case.
    Hot Balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

killwill wrote: »
    That is correct. the dates for games are 14th and 18th I believe. I read somewhere that there is a possibility of these games clashing with rugby internationals. If Croker was not available, where would the games be played?
    Semple Stadium? Pairc Ui Caoimh?????
    Thomand park maybe? how many can that hold now does anyone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Hot Balls!

Lol ya. Well like the previous poster mentioned, it looks like it's going to be streamed at the very least so that's something. Why do I get this horrible feeling like we're gonna be magnetically pulled towards Russia in this draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Keane
    doyle (if not subbed after 65mins)
    hunt
    lawrence
    JOSH
    mcgeady
    rest of midfield
    defenders
    given
    Kilbane

Fixed that for ya there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I would like to see Ireland Play against Russia of France

Ireland always **** up against weaker teams and show winnable ( If thats a word ) performances against the big teams

I rather Ireland go out in Style then a snorfest

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

gucci wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya there.

Can Kilbane take a peno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

BVB wrote: »
    I would like to see Ireland Paly against Russia of France

Ireland always **** up against weaker teams and show winnable ( If thats a word ) performances against the big teams

I rather Ireland go out in Style them a snorfest

Of course we still haven't beaten a good international team since 2001 so..

noodler wrote: »

We've also just gone through a qualifying group containing the World Champions as 4th seeds unbeaten so why the negative outlook, do you remember where Irish soccer was before the ole years and realise the limited mumbers and resources we have, we have actually over-achieved for many years now.

By the looks of it Ireland have had good result against Big teams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team_2000s_results

• Advertisement

We've also just gone through a qualifying group containing the World Champions as 4th seeds unbeaten so why the negative outlook, do you remember where Irish soccer was before the ole years and realise the limited mumbers and resources we have, we have actually over-achieved for many years now.

We are not setup to score goals is the main reason.

But it has been a problem for years and years and has little to do with the current team/managerial setup. Unbeaten is one thing.
    By the looks of it Ireland have had good result against Big teams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team_2000s_results

Are you looking at the same list? So in the whole of the 21st Century so far we have only beat Holland in a competitive game?

What was your point?

But it has been a problem for years and years and has little to do with the current team/managerial setup. Unbeaten is one thing.

Are you looking at the same list? So in the whole of the 21st Century so far we have only beat Holland in a competitive game?

What was your point?

Holland
    Czech Republic
    Russia
    Denmark
    Romania
    Croatia
    Portugal
    Sweden
    Columbia

All these teams on paper are much better then us and we beat them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Just having a quick look there again at the tables. If Greece beat Luxembourg which they will and Switzerland loose to Israel then Greece will top the group and the swis will be second. They are ranked 15th in the world for some strange reason which is crazy. Id take the swiss over the greeks.

Holland
    Czech Republic
    Russia
    Denmark
    Romania
    Croatia
    Portugal
    Sweden
    Columbia

All these teams on paper are much better then us and we beat them .

Friendlies.

12 goals in 9 games in the group is not bad tbh

12 goals in 9 games in the group is not bad tbh

I'd say thats very average actually tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

joe123 wrote: »
    Id take the swiss over the greeks.

Worked well the last time....:eek:

Friendlies.

They still fielded better players then us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

joe123 wrote: »
    Id take the swiss over the greeks.

I think the Swiss are too bogey to judge. Id prefer Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Friendlies.

From Wiki:
    Different matches have different importance to teams, and FIFA has tried to respect this by using a weighting system, where the most significant matches are in the World Cup finals,[13] and the lowest weighted are friendly matches. FIFA states that it wishes to recognise that friendlies are still important, since they make up half of the competitive matches counted in the rankings.[14] FIFA also stated, however, that it did not plan to make any adjustment for teams that qualify directly for major tournaments.

From Wiki:

Friendlies are not really indicative of how a team will perform in a WC play-off match. I mean, my god.

I'd advise you to stop now before your credibility is even further damaged.

They still fielded better players then us .

Motivation, team selection, motivation.

How many friendlies got us to major tournaments?

We haven't beaten the bigger teams when it matters over the last decade unfortunately.

Beat Holland in 2001 :(

Beat Holland in 2001

Whoops, eh?

Pay more attention.

We haven't beaten the bigger teams when it matters over the last decade unfortunately.

Whoops, eh?

Pay more attention.

• Advertisement

Beat Holland in 2001 :(
    Whoops, eh?

Pay more attention.

Fail.

Ha, so pathetic trying to win an argument by saying 'Fail'.

Look, you said above my post that we hadn't beaten a big team in the last 10 years and I corrected you. Move on.

Ha, so pathetic trying to win an argument by saying 'Fail'.

Look, you said above my post that we hadn't beaten a big team in the last 10 years and I corrected you. Move on.

Excuse me, but it is not my fault you haven't read the entire thread and then march in here trying to tell people we beat Holland in 2001 as if everyone didn't already know.

'We haven't beaten the bigger teams when it matters over the last decade unfortunately.'

This statement is 100% true despite one win in the last decade.

Holland away.
    Israel home and away.
    Swiss home and away (twice)
    France home and away
    Germany home and away
    Czechs home and away
    Russia home and away

The statement is true despite 1 win in 16.

So yes, fail.

On your period or something?

I have looked through the thread but tend to avoid your posts. Saw that you made a mistake and just corrected you, sorry kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Hope we get Greece in this play off. Really don't want the Russians or the Portugese.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Russians would be the worst to get.

We would have to deal with heavy snow their and they would have to deal with heavy rain here :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I would not mind a go at the French , There like the England teams of the last 10 years , great players but just cant seem to gel at all on the pitch !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I would not mind a go at the French , There like the England teams of the last 10 years , great players but just cant seem to gel at all on the pitch !

All due to their manager who is a chum of the president of the French FA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hell who cares, whoever we get bring them on.

If I crystal bsll and was told right now we were going qualify I would love it to be the french.

Always liked them they have had some great players and was lucky be there in October 2004 in 0-0 draw.

But I love shove it up Platini face be great. If there is any justice out there that man smile will be quickly put away.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

We're going to be drawn against Portugal, I can feel it!

The more I think about it, I still stand by what I said before. France will not be the team we want to play. Maybe they haven't reached their potential in a long time, but they haven't many shocking results and they have a lot of big time players who can achieve a result when it means going to a World Cup (and for the likes of Henry etc. probably his last one).

Russia would also be one to avoid. The only way I can us winning against them is if we get quite lucky. Russia strengths are the same as our strengths, and unfortunately, Arshavin is miles better than Keane and I'd Hiddink higher than Trap.

Greece are obviously the weakest team out of the 4, and imo, weaker than us. Playing a team weaker than us to go to the World Cup. Knowing us, we'd blow it, but if we do draw Greece, hopefully Trapattoni will be able to manage the players not to mess it up!

As for Portugal! They're weak at home and I don't think Ronaldo and co. would fancy coming to Croke Park. I think if Portugal are to beat us, it will come down to Ronaldo. The Ronaldo factor will have to win it for them. And if Ronaldo is injured for the first game, then I think Ireland have a very, very, very good chance of going through. On paper, they're still miles better than us. But with Croker, Trapattoni and Given, I really think we could beat them.

Hell who cares, whoever we get bring them on.

If I crystal bsll and was told right now we were going qualify I would love it to be the french.

Always liked them they have had some great players and was lucky be there in October 2004 in 0-0 draw.

But I love shove it up Platini face be great. If there is any justice out there that man smile will be quickly put away.

I would also like this to happen !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    As for Portugal! They're weak at home and I don't think Ronaldo and co. would fancy coming to Croke Park. I think if Portugal are to beat us, it will come down to Ronaldo. The Ronaldo factor will have to win it for them. And if Ronaldo is injured for the first game, then I think Ireland have a very, very, very good chance of going through. On paper, they're still miles better than us. But with Croker, Trapattoni and Given, I really think we could beat them.
    Ha, the Ronaldo factor? The same Ronaldo that has them languishing in second place behind Denmark, while they still need to win their last game to come second.

Don't forget, we've already got our playoff place with a game to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Bring on France and lets stuff them, up yours Platini, We actually play way better against perceived "good" teams and often at our poorest against perceived "bad" sides. We tend to raise our game, so i sincerely hope we do not get Greece, for that reason. Tardelli has already sown a seed there for our players by opting for Greece as a preferred opposition, thus suggesting that they are the weakest of the seeded teams. Whereas the reality is we all finished 2nd !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Haven't seen this on here but yesterday RTE reported Tardelli as saying France we're the team they want to avoid. And i've just heard from a mate who was talking to a taxi driver who called into the hotel last night with his kids chasing autographs. They bumped into Trap apparently and when asked who does he fancy in the play-offs he said anybody but France. Third hand info i know but i choose to believe this taxi driver i've never met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So what has Platini done to Irish soccer to generate all this hatred ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd hate to get France. Henry, Ribery, Anelka, Benzema. We'd come up short, even with Domenech in charge. Russia are perhaps the worst ones overall with Arshavin and co, that plastic pitch and the excellent Hiddink in charge. My preference would be Greece, followed by Portugal.

I have a horrible feeling we will end up with France though.

Basically it's four teams, two of whom we don't want although those seem to change depending on who you ask but basically be anyone's estimation, it's pretty much a fifty-fifty, a flip of the coin pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Lol ya. Well like the previous poster mentioned, it looks like it's going to be streamed at the very least so that's something?

On the subject of conspiracy theories and Hot Balls!... :) Irish fans have acquitted themselves very well at the previous WC's we've qualified for, so if there is any truth in the hot balls rumour! FIFA should really want US to qualify to add a bit of colour to the tournment! :) Ireland are currently 10/3 to draw Greece.

Also, 'if' FIFA are as dodgy as a 6 bob note.... Are they really gonna take the chance on Portugal not qualifying and a tournament not having the current World player of the year and most marketable player in the world not playing at it...??? I wonder how much Ronaldo playing is worth to corporate sponsorship at the World Cup...

Gonna be a very interesting draw!

Two hot balls please! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cristiano Ronaldo is a total genius imo, even after leaving United i respect him alot. But if we draw Portugal, man would i LOVE to be looking at this again...

ronaldo-crying.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Greece look the weakest of the 4 we could face anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Seems then it's:

Pot 1

Russia
    France
    Greece
    Portugal

Pot 2

Ukraine
    Ireland
    Bosnia
    Slovenia

Unless the world rankings make a dramatic change in next couple of days.

Norway the unfortunate ones to finish 2nd and not get a playoff.

Russia v Ukraine would be spicy.

Ireland want Greece i'd say.

Not sure which teams the pot 1 teams would like to get/avoid. Thoughts?

Here's my worry. By next month, Stephen Reid should be fit to play and Steve Finnan may be fit to play and MAYBE he might bring Andy Reid but it's highly unlikely.Why would he upset the squad he's been trying to build for the last year and a bit by bringing in new players? Would a week or two training before the playoff be enough for any new players coming into the squad to slot in to the system and setup?? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a presence in midfield/defense/anywhere really but is there time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Doesnt have to change it that much, S.Reid in for either Andrews or Whelan should improve us without changing our system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ireland are gonna get killed - more than once, unless some sort of transformation takes place.

Advertisement