Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROIs playoff for 2010 World Cup.. teams to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have feeling we get France or Portugal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I think we will get France, Portugal, Greece or Russia....

Predicting random draws is fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I predict we'll get france, and be leading 1-0 in the second leg, when some "dubious" decisions go france's way, to the delight of platini. Only for liam miller to snatch victory with a 60 yard volley.

Other than that, in the draw, i hope we get a team.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Other than that, in the draw, i hope we get a team.
    "In a bizarre twist, the Republic of Ireland have been drawn against a ham sandwich, bookies are putting them as slight favourites with a 1-0 victory seen as the most likely outcome"

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm getting excited about this draw now. In a few hours we'll find out what team is gonna deny us entry to the world cup for the 17th time!

Seriously though, I'm excited. Cant wait to watch the playoffs and I'm praying we get through, even though logic states otherwise!

but ah well, tiocfaidh ar la and all that. Lets just hope its the 18th november!

just looked up greece out of interest in seeing who their main threat are. I know about porto et al so was curious.

Theofanis Gekas is their top scorer with 10 goals. He was on loan to Portsmouth but they didnt want him so hes gone back to Bayer Leverkusen. If we get Greece, it seems we just need to contain him as hes their main threat. Dunne should have him no hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Not long now lads :o.
    Please let it be Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

"In a bizarre twist, the Republic of Ireland have been drawn against a ham sandwich, bookies are putting them as slight favourites with a 1-0 victory seen as the most likely outcome"

If we manage to slice up their defence, spread the play a little we should be able to sink our teeth into that game. Either way it's a mouth watering prospect :D

*cough* I'll get me coat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If FIFA get their way it'll be....

France v Bosnia/Slovenia

Portugal v Bosnia/Slovenia

for definite

and any combination of the remaining 4, but probably...

Russia v Ukraine

Greece v Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Funny if we got Greece and then we didn't know what to do with them as they're too much like ourselves...:eek:

Me personally I'd prefer Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Russia by far, the others are beatable at home and we could sneak a draw away. Could see Russia destroying us in Moscow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Russia by far, the others are beatable at home and we could sneak a draw away. Could see Russia destroying us in Moscow.

I'm the opposite. Russia would be the last team I'd want to face. Especially on that bloody astro turf in Russia.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Like the time they destroyed Wales 2-1 in Moscow nicking a winner in the 81st minute, oh wait!

Well they did hockey Azerbaijan 2-0 there too but they lost to Germany 1-0 in Moscow same scoreline they beat Liechtenstein in Liechtenstein. In Azerbaijan they grinded out a good 1-1 draw

We can beat any of them over two legs! We can do it!

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. Russia would be the last team I'd want to face. Especially on that bloody astro turf in Russia.

The impact of that astroturf is overrated big time IMO.

CHD wrote: »
    Like the time they destroyed Wales 2-1 in Moscow nicking a winner in the 81st minute, oh wait!

Well they did hockey Azerbaijan 2-0 there too but they lost to Germany 1-0 in Moscow same scoreline they beat Liechtenstein in Liechtenstein. In Azerbaijan they grinded out a good 1-1 draw

While I still think Russia would be my least favourite opponent, I totally agree with you on this!!!!
    CHD wrote: »
    We can beat any of them over two legs! We can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Russia I'm not too bothered about. Good players, but not a great team.

Portugal, meh. Wouldn;t be overly worried about them either - some good players, but far from the Portugal of 4/5 years ago.

Greece - bring it on.

France - dear lord no. Henry, Benzema, Anelka & Ribery against O'Shea, Dunne, Kilbane & [insert fringe player Trap selects].

I'm sorry, but I would be horrified at the potential of France's attacking threat against our terribly poor defence.

We have Glenn Whelan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

what time is draw on at?

I'm sorry, but I would be horrified at the potential of France's attacking threat against our terribly poor defence.

What team have you been watching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think the question of if we get Russia and have to play on an astro turf is secondary to having to play in what will probaly - 5 degree weather, and if FIFA want to make sure all games kikck off at the same time, 8 GMT , that is 11 o clock in Russia which isnt good for the Irish players either.

Fingers crossed for Greece.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    what time is draw on at?
    Around 1pm

from the FIFA website:
    Fifa.com wrote:
    The Republic of Ireland have made three appearances at the FIFA World Cup finals, most recently at the 2002 edition in Korea/Japan. With Italian coaching legend Giovanni Trapattoni at the helm, the team spearheaded by John O'Shea of Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur striker Robbie Keane are quietly confident of securing a spot in South Africa.

G'wan the JOSH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gavredking wrote: »
    and if FIFA want to make sure all games kikck off at the same time, 8 GMT , that is 11 o clock in Russia which isnt good for the Irish players either.
    Can't see why they'd want to have all the games kicking off at the same time. It's not as if one game is gonna have an affect on any of the other games.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    from the FIFA website:

G'wan the JOSH!!
    Obviously FIFA are doing what most supporters do and are just looking at who each player plays for rather than their individual skill. Not saying that JOSH hasn't been great for us this campaign though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

fingers (and toes) ;) crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Something will happen in the next hour that will force some country to pull out of the World Cup altogether. In turn this will see us getting a bye to the finals :D

• Advertisement

realcam wrote: »
    What team have you been watching?

The same team that conceded home and away to Italy, home and away to Bulgaria, home and away to Georgia, and away to Cyprus.

The 2 goals at home to Italy in particular were dreadful goals to concede.

We're lucky O'Shea has pretty much been in decent form, because Dunne has been hot and cold, Kilbane, well, he's not the best full back, St Ledger is out of his depth, and Kelly is brutal.

So yeah, I would be terrified at the prospect of France's potential attacking threat against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

St Ledger is out of his depth,

I thought he did very well in the games he played. Wouldn't have said he was out of his depth at all.

I thought he did very well in the games he played. Wouldn't have said he was out of his depth at all.

Ah come on. The lad can tackle, fair enough, and he can head the ball. But his positioning has been atrocious most of the time.

He's a very mediocre Prem standard player, playing at the heart of an international defence.

He's young, but he really is being thrown in at the deep end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Ah come on. The lad can tackle, fair enough, and he can head the ball. But his positioning has been atrocious most of the time.

He's a very mediocre Prem standard player, playing at the heart of an international defence.

He's young, but he really is being thrown in at the deep end.

Let's be honest, most of our team are. A lot of our players are from mid-to-lower table PL teams.

IMO we can feel confident enough with St Ledger partnering Dunne. He's hardly a liability, unlike several others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ooooooooo this is exciting. Wouldn't the RTE one o' clock news be covering the draw if it too is on at one?

I'd rather St. Ledger in there than Mcshane

Let's be honest, most of our team are. A lot of our players are from mid-to-lower table PL teams.

IMO we can feel confident enough with St Ledger partnering Dunne. He's hardly a liability, unlike several others.

Well I would agree that he's probably the best of a bad bunch.

I mean, I'd rather him in there, than McShane, or putting O'Shea in there and Kelly out wide...

T-Minus 22 minutes and counting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Any where I can watch/read the draw?? Stuck in a lecture.

Thanks

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Thanks
    I imagine people will post blow by blow updates here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Thanks

I would have been the same but gonna miss the start of it to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Just catching up on the plot of "Doctors" here on the Rte site. :D

I'll take portugal or greece out of this draw tbh.

Just catching up on the plot of "Doctors" here on the Rte site. :D

Interesting stuff isn't it? :pac:

Frisbee wrote: »
    Interesting stuff isn't it? :pac:

Yeah hope that lad who had a seizure is ok - looked serious
    That'll be me if we draw the Ruskies here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Blow by blow updates for me please! Please god let it not be Russia.

• Advertisement

Please god let it not be Russia.

+1, having problems with the sound on it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Draw is also on Eurosport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I bet we get fúcking Russia :(

Here we go...introductions being made. Blatter the fcuker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

me too actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

my god they are finally talking!

Starting now on SSN

• Advertisement

I just got it working and heard him say ROI and then Russia.

Nearly crapped myself...

Advertisement