Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Democrat

Options
  • 11-10-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to post here about how low some people/companies will go to sell a few newspapers.

If any of you rememeber, there was a piece about Sarah Jessica Parker being spotted in Donegal Town recently with her son and new twins. I can catageorically say that this 'celeb spotting' is 100% lies. How can I say that? Because SJ and Matthew's holiday cottage is beside where my uncle lives and my other uncle actually does any work they need doing in the house.

I was visiting them today and I happened to as if SJ and Matthew had gone home and my aunt informed me that they had never been around in the first place and that the piece that was written about her in the paper was totally untrue and made up. There was someone spotted in the town who looked very much like SJ who also happened to have twins with her... but in fairness, if there was no concrete sighting why lie?

It's not the first time that 'news' has been made up in the paper, and I can't understand why we, the people of Donegal feel that we have to be just as fecking nosy as the rest of the world and pester these people while on holiday with their children. The reason they holiday here is because of the peace and quiet they get.

I was really mad today when I heard that the stuff in the paper was made up so I just had to load off my thoughts somewhere.

Rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

aoife2k wrote: »
    I just wanted to post here about how low some people/companies will go to sell a few newspapers.

If any of you rememeber, there was a piece about Sarah Jessica Parker being spotted in Donegal Town recently with her son and new twins. I can catageorically say that this 'celeb spotting' is 100% lies.
    Nothing new about inaccuracies in the media reports.

aoife2k wrote: »
    I was really mad today when I heard that the stuff in the paper was made up so I just had to load off my thoughts somewhere.
    Maybe a letter to the Demo might make them take a wee bit of notice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

And of course they would have no problem printing your letter. I feel yet another Disassociated Press article in my bones. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Oh i'm definately writing to them...! with a big Grrrrrrrrrr at the end ha ha!

I just wanted to post here because I had to get it off my chest tonight and have opinions on it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm pretty sure the Donegal Post mentioned same regarding SJP being in Donegal Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Wouldn't doubt it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Also Letterkenny post had it in it as well me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

There was a long period of time last year or so where the democrat website wouldn't have updated news but the scroll for headlines was full of pseudo celebrity nonsense. Blame the morons who buy heat and those pieces of excrement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

its for lighting the fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 andyc09lad

anything to sell a newspaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Well im sorry to dampen your rant there but i personally met SJ a couple of years ago at the Ardara show and know what she looks like as i had my picture taken with her. I also work in Donegal town and happened to SEE her in Donegal town on the date in question recently so before yourself and your aunties and uncles jump to conclusions the fact is you cant know every movement of people especially celebs at all times. Facts right before commenting or writing scathing letters to papers methinks :p

• Advertisement

Hmmmm... now it gets interesting !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I've worked in the media for years, with many local companies and learned my trade with real organisations too.

All media organisations start and continue their day by tuning into others and reading the papers etc. They all re-hash the same stories and most new generation journalists cannot work when their internet is down because they cannot follow other media - ABSOLUTE FACT.

It is also a fact that many media stories locally are unture and often are legally on very soft ground. Most people or organisations at the receiving end of negative press realise its either too much bother to challenge bad press or believe the damage is already done. That is why most negative press is rarely challenged.

What is for you to think about is the old cliche, don't believe all you hear or read, whether gospel on radio or print.

Boards for example moderate everything mostly in good faith but also to avoid legal challenges, most local media run things knowing they will rarely be taken to court, its hard to do so and more hassle than its worth, but possible.

Journalists often also like to look good to the likes of semi-state bodies, Gardai, etc etc, local journalists are not looking to become martyrs, treat them with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I thought their Muckross property was up for sale?

The parish priest in Kilcar announced from the alter that he had baptized the twins of a famous actress the week before last. Seems the newspaper reports were infact true.

Advertisement