Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about lag.

Options
  • 11-10-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭

Have a quick question for the general population out there. I have a Radeon HD 3870x2. class card all round but ive noticed something a little odd lately. When playing games, the action tends to get a little laggy even though the frame rate is consistent. its tricky to explain but maybe if you've seen this before you might get what i mean. Anyone know what this is or why its happening? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Crossfire microstutter, google it. Sometimes mouse acceleration can cause it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Crossfire microstutter, google it. Sometimes mouse acceleration can cause it
    So you mean mouse speed?

No, mouse acceleration being turned on in the mouse driver software or control panel sometimes can cause it but in your case I'd say its definitely crossfire microstutter which is quite common with that card. Best explained here:
    http://incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22491

There isn't any other way to fix or at least help the problem is there? (apart from buying a new card) According to the person posting that in the link the only card that has zero microstutter is the 4870x2. It costs about 400 euro though, something i dont really want to spend. mainly cos i dont have it in the first place :( AMD dont seem to have put any bloody drivers up to fix this problem either.

Don't get the 4870x2, I've got one and experience this microstuttering problem the odd time, game depending. It happens with all Sli/Crossfire setups. Getting the 4870/4890 eliminates the problem completely as its a single card and is half the price of the 4870x2

What games are You playing?

• Advertisement

I have Unreal 3, Trackmania Nations, Test drive Unlimited (really bad microstutter in that :(), Far Cry 2, Crysis (gone now because the grpahics are a huge pain in the arse, hate the CryEngine 2).

Its weird because when i first got the card i never had this problem. Reinstalled XP a few months ago and the problem began then. It's stayed the same since the upgrade to Windwos 7 last week. Also im running a 64 bit system, doubt it matters but still, any help would be great.

That 3870x2 was never a great card, it was the best Ati had at the time but it was slower then the 8800GTX (Nvidia kept the crown until the release of the 48** series) and suffered badly from this microstutter because of the way the card was built and shared memory. Upgrading to a single 1GB 4870 for around €135 would sort Your problems and run games even better than what You got. Stretch to the 4890 if Your budget is bigger, after that the new 5870

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

try updating your catalyst drivers first

Advertisement