Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Del Rio fought in PRIDE, though there's always been rumours about some of their fights being less than legitimate... Batista on the other hand has had and won an MMA fight. I'd say both lads can hold their own to a certain extent.

To call that a fight is almost a disgrace to the entire sport. Lucero looked like he turned up for an eating competition and Batista looked dreadful. Del Rio is an accomplished amateur wrestler and also has infinitely more MMA experience than Batista (excusing the odd work).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1916877-report-roddy-piper-pushing-to-face-hulk-hogan-at-wrestlemania-xxx
    As Dave Meltzer notes in this week's (subscribers-only) Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Piper has been pitching ideas to WWE about a major tag team bout at the pay-per-view: “Regarding Hulk Hogan and WrestleMania, Roddy Piper has pushed for an idea of Hogan & Cena vs. Piper & Punk.”

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's not looking good for Mae Young

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0108/569054/wwe-hall-of-famer-mae-young-taken-off-life-support-earlier/
    "Sad news to report. Received word tonight that #MaeYoung has been taken off life support. Prayers for this grand lady of wrestling."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Mokuba wrote: »
    To call that a fight is almost a disgrace to the entire sport. Lucero looked like he turned up for an eating competition and Batista looked dreadful. Del Rio is an accomplished amateur wrestler and also has infinitely more MMA experience than Batista (excusing the odd work).

Lucero looked fat. Big deal - look at Roy Nelson, he's fat and has been knocking lads out for years.
    Batista looked very green but it was his first fight, and he took a pro fight - he didn't get any tune-up amateur fights.

Say what you want about the fight with regards excitement and technique, but Batista had the balls to get in there and he had a fight which by it's very nature isn't guaranteed to be exciting to watch.

Del Rio has amateur wrestling, but the sport has evolved greatly since then and Batista's training with the Gracies (with Stephan Bonnar showing up to help) will have been of a high standard.

I'm not saying Batista will kick Del Rio around, but he'd be no slouch in a scrap these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lucero looked fat. Big deal - look at Roy Nelson, he's fat and has been knocking lads out for years.
    Batista looked very green but it was his first fight, and he took a pro fight - he didn't get any tune-up amateur fights.

Say what you want about the fight with regards excitement and technique, but Batista had the balls to get in there and he had a fight which by it's very nature isn't guaranteed to be exciting to watch.

Del Rio has amateur wrestling, but the sport has evolved greatly since then and Batista's training with the Gracies (with Stephan Bonnar showing up to help) will have been of a high standard.

I'm not saying Batista will kick Del Rio around, but he'd be no slouch in a scrap these days.

+1

It would be naive to say who would and wouldnt win. Especially when at the moment its just a twitter feud which could well be a work. Smart booking if so IMO as i wasnt in the slight interested in Del Rio v Batista until yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Batista deserves credit for getting in there and fighting, as does anyone who participates in an MMA fight but that's definitely where the credit ends. His stand up technique was atrocious, he was rocked early and was lucky to survive and his method of throwing punches was no better than the common man on the street. He wins the fight only as Lucero at that stage looks exhausted and gets taken down so easily and shows literally no skill on the ground.

We aren't seriously comparing Lucero to Roy Nelson are we? Because that is really a comparison that is far too ridiculous to be taken seriously.

In reality, Batista has had one MMA fight against the very definition of a can and he looked far from impressive in that fight. Sure his training with the Gracies and his camp for the fight may have improved him as a fighter but definitely not to the level of Del Rio, or indeed any even mildly accomplished heavyweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    As Dave Meltzer notes in this week's (subscribers-only) Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Piper has been pitching ideas to WWE about a major tag team bout at the pay-per-view: “Regarding Hulk Hogan and WrestleMania, Roddy Piper has pushed for an idea of Hogan & Cena vs. Piper & Punk.”
    I bet Piper did....
    You can`t compare that guy to Roy Nelson though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I'm suddenly interested too. Perfect way to make a feud interesting instantly. I'd say that Del Rio could hold his own against Batista but its naive to say Batista would be destroyed in a real fight.

Reminds me of when Jericho and Goldberg scuffled.

Whats the back story to this

To Goldberg/Jericho? or Big Dave/Alberto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Jaysus, how many concussions is that for Ziggler over the past few months?
    This is actually quite serious no matter whose fault either were 2 in less than year is scary, he is going to have wrestle a little more carefully and no more insane bumps which mean nothing in the long term.

Not quite sure how far he can go if he has to tone it down, maybe he will discover some likability to compensate?:p

• Advertisement

Jericho/Goldberg?

Jericho had problems with Goldberg in the past due to Goldbergs unwillingness to work with him in WCW. This was essentially the beginning of the end for Jericho at WCW who realised he had to get out. He joined WWE and Goldberg would follow years later.

When in WWE, Goldberg was supposedly burying him in the back to the Hurricane I think, and Jericho challenged him on it and they basically had a real scuffle in which Jericho won fairly easily.

Most people were happy that Goldberg got taken down a peg or two.

ADR/Batista - Is basically a work but Batista seemingly got legit annoyed at ADR's pretty funny tweets. The "who would win IRL" debate stuff is just stemming from that, although I personally struggle to see any way ADR wouldn't win that fight easily, for many of the reasons Andersonisgod outlined above.

Talking about Jericho in WCW, and how he was treated/booked kind of reminds me a little of the way a certain person is being utilised at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Jericho/Goldberg?

Jericho had problems with Goldberg in the past due to Goldbergs unwillingness to work with him in WCW. This was essentially the beginning of the end for Jericho at WCW who realised he had to get out. He joined WWE and Goldberg would follow years later.

When in WWE, Goldberg was supposedly burying him in the back to the Hurricane I think, and Jericho challenged him on it and they basically had a real scuffle in which Jericho won fairly easily.

ADR/Batista - Is basically a work but Batista seemingly got legit annoyed at ADR's pretty funny tweets. The "who would win IRL" debate stuff is just stemming from that, although I personally struggle to see any way ADR wouldn't win that fight easily, for many of the reasons Andersonisgod outlined above.

Talking about Jericho in WCW, and how he was treated/booked kind of reminds me a little of the way a certain person is being utilised at the moment.

According to Jericho in his second book, it was a fluke, and he doubts he'd have been able to do it a second time. Goldberg ran at him and Jericho locked in the only legit submission hold he knows, a front facelock/guillotine. It was over in seconds.

Goldberg allegedly apologised to him later.

Originally in WCW, Jericho had an idea for an angle where he would take the piss out of Goldberg for a few weeks and Goldberg would eventually destroy him, but Goldberg was too up his own hole to allow Jericho to ridicule him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Batista deserves credit for getting in there and fighting, as does anyone who participates in an MMA fight but that's definitely where the credit ends. His stand up technique was atrocious, he was rocked early and was lucky to survive and his method of throwing punches was no better than the common man on the street. He wins the fight only as Lucero at that stage looks exhausted and gets taken down so easily and shows literally no skill on the ground.

Anyone can get rocked at any point. He got rocked and kept going. Credit where it's due.
    His stand-up wasn't good, he said himself his nervousness meant he forgot "hands up, chin down", but it's not as bad as "the man on the street".
    We aren't seriously comparing Lucero to Roy Nelson are we? Because that is really a comparison that is far too ridiculous to be taken seriously.

I brought Roy Nelson into this as you said Lucero "looked like he turned up for an eating competition", mentioning nothing of his ability. My point was that Roy Nelson also looks fat, yet he knocks guys out. Same with Mark Hunt. A muscled-up physique doesn't matter a damn in MMA if you have the skills.
    In reality, Batista has had one MMA fight against the very definition of a can and he looked far from impressive in that fight. Sure his training with the Gracies and his camp for the fight may have improved him as a fighter but definitely not to the level of Del Rio, or indeed any even mildly accomplished heavyweight.

Del Rio had 14 listed opponents on Wikipedia - only 3 of those are worthy of their own pages. I'm not saying they were cans, but I'd wager if they were, they'd have their own Wiki pages. His biggest claims to fame are breaking someone's arm off a suplex (fair play, legit technique) and getting his head kicked off by Cro Cop. It's not exactly an Anderson Silva-esque record he's rocking.

Saying with certainty that Batista would get his arse kicked by Del Rio might be true, it might be false, but unless they ever actually go at it, it's in the same league as debating who'd win a fight between Batman and Superman: impossible to know. Look at Paul Orndorff beating the piss out of Vader - you can never call a fight for sure til it's over.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    I bet Piper did....

You can`t compare that guy to Roy Nelson though.

In terms of looking out of shape, (and only in those terms) it's fair; I explained above why I made the comparison.

According to Jericho in his second book, it was a fluke, and he doubts he'd have been able to do it a second time. Goldberg ran at him and Jericho locked in the only legit submission hold he knows, a front facelock/guillotine. It was over in seconds.

Goldberg allegedly apologised to him later.

Originally in WCW, Jericho had an idea for an angle where he would take the piss out of Goldberg for a few weeks and Goldberg would eventually destroy him, but Goldberg was too up his own hole to allow Jericho to ridicule him.

Jericho has been very modest about it (I've read it.) but plenty of others weren't so reserved. Pretty sure it wasn't seconds.

Rhett Titus got a tryout this week

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/24172/ex-roh-champion-gets-wwe-tryout-regal-wwe-network

Wonder who he faced. Ive always liked him myself.

Jericho has been very modest about it (I've read it.) but plenty of others weren't so reserved. Pretty sure it wasn't seconds.

I read something similar on Lance Storm's website, and he's mates with both of them. Who knows?, a worker's always working :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

RIP Mae.
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Rhett Titus got a tryout this week

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/24172/ex-roh-champion-gets-wwe-tryout-regal-wwe-network

Wonder who he faced. Ive always liked him myself.

Didn't realise he was only 26. He is very good in the ring and at such a young age, WWE have loads of time to make him something. Hope it works out for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Jericho/Goldberg?

Thanks. Had heard the jericho one before

Legend doesn't even begin to describe that lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I thought Nash was involved in that somehow, telling Goldberg that it made him look weak to be letting Jericho mock him for a few weeks or some ****.

• Advertisement

I thought Nash was involved in that somehow, telling Goldberg that it made him look weak to be letting Jericho mock him for a few weeks or some ****.

Sounds likely alright. Funnier one is when Nash went back to WWF he tried his usual bullsh*t with Jericho by slagging his dyed red half of his hair, Jericho responded by saying some people dye their blonde hair red and some people dye their grey hair black :D

F*ck you Nash.

And yes, I am a Jerichoholic ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    RIP Mae.

Didn't realise he was only 26. He is very good in the ring and at such a young age, WWE have loads of time to make him something. Hope it works out for him.

Kenny King did himself and Titus a disservice by jumping to TNA. Titus is daft as a brush in a nice way and has a young child so I hope he gets want he wants out of Wrestling

The some people in my gossipers/scoops circle who flare up something of note happens are flaring up about Dolph Ziggler in my DM/PMs. Seems like things aren't looking good for Ziggler. There's a very active retirement RUMOUR floating about. It is a small group of people who tend to be right. Hope it is not the case here obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

As in getting fired or something health related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mae Young is ill but has not passed away - deleted posts acknowledging the false news article, made a new thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057121242

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

As in getting fired or something health related?

They wouldn't fire someone just after getting another concussion, PR of such a move would be dreadful.

I dunno what he does outside the E but if he has options then for someone who is such a bumper he may be tempted to jack it in. 2013 wasn't exactly a great year for him creatively.

WWE.com polls are always hacked but do we buy this Maxim poll as legit:

http://www.maxim.com/poll/who-do-you-want-see-new-cover-of-maxim-0

AJ Lee with 81% of the votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rovert wrote: »
    WWE.com polls are always hacked but do we buy this Maxim poll as legit:

http://www.maxim.com/poll/who-do-you-want-see-new-cover-of-maxim-0

AJ Lee with 81% of the votes.

I'd say it is. I've seen it a good bit on Twitter and I spend maybe two minutes on it at a time. It's quite possible that it is getting plugged non stop to vote for AJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Pretty fair results imo.

Summer Glau has always been a favourite of mine but she's no AJ :pac:

• Advertisement

An oh so casual liner from Meltzer
    A note on Mae Young. Contrary to reports, Mae Young was not on life support this past week.

What
    the
    ****ting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement