Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

GTR63 wrote: »
    Cena vs Del Rio again HORRAY!

Doesn't say cena vs del rio just say featuring cena and del rio ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Loughc wrote: »
    Doesn't say cena vs del rio just say featuring cena and del rio ;)

Boooooo!
    Hate to be teased like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not strictly Wrestling news, but the fantastic band Wild Beasts have taken inspiration from someone on one of their songs on their new album

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19ukm6_3onstage-wild-beasts_music

Skip to about 7:25 in the video. The song's called 'Nature Boy'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Ring of Honor COO Joe Koff proves he should stick to accountancy and not public speaking. As he made another **** up PR wise. He is usually seen and heard coming off as a slime ball when addressing refunds for iPPV disasters but this time he tackles why ROH didn't discipline Matt Hardy for his New Year's Eve bust up with his wife:
    Wow. I did my best to transcribe what I heard. I would encourage you to listen for yourself so you can hear it how it comes across, and you can tell if I erred in any of the transcription.

1:17:05 to 1:19:00
    http://datav3.fightnetwork.com/blog/45138.mp3
    LAW: "Recently, there was a very public story involving Matt Hardy and his wife. What, is there any reaction from Ring of Honor's point? What do you do in this situation where there technically isn't any charges filed but it does become a public story when it shows up on TMZ?"

Koff: "Yeah, you know what, it did appear on TMZ and did happen. Of course it happened so much earlier than when it was finally reported."

LAW: "Right."

Koff: "Umm.. You know, I gotta tell you something John, there's really not a lot about it. I mean I saw the stuff on TMZ and I saw a couple of facebook, you know, comments about Matt wrestling, in, you know, Philadelphia. Um, I think it's really not a big deal. Um, I don't have a position on that and I mean, I think that charges were dropped, um. You never want to get involved in domestic stuff, in domestic relationships, and domestic disputes. But if the court of law, or the judicial system could find no fault with it, um, you know, I don't feel that's something we necessarily have to take a stance."

LAW: "Alright. Fair enough."

Koff: "I'm not shirking that, I'm just saying that it wasn't as big as... I think the fact that CM Punk said that he's wasn't going to wrestle for WWE, or when that story came out around that same time, I think it kind of overshadowed it."

LAW: "Well, I think.. you know, when it comes to domestic violence, it's obviously very sensitive topic for many people. And it's obviously one that's very different to react to-"

Koff: "I mean had the outcome to been different, you know, from a judicial standpoint or, you know, a charge standpoint, I can accept that. but really it was just a domestic battle. You know they're just two wrestlers, they're probably very physical people."

LAW: "OK. Interesting.... analogy there... so..."

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Vince wants to buy Newcastle United!
    http://balls.ie/football/crazy-rumour-is-vince-mcmahon-buying-newcastle-united/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

As the article says this is probably a load of nonsense but twitter is all over it so maybe they ll mention it on Raw..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tssk wrote: »
    http://balls.ie/football/crazy-rumour-is-vince-mcmahon-buying-newcastle-united/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

As the article says this is probably a load of nonsense but twitter is all over it so maybe they ll mention it on Raw..

This is the 3rd time in the last year I've heard this rumour and that's all it is, is a rumour!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Tssk wrote: »

Im fairly sure that is a repeat rumour, very much so doubt there is even the slightest bit of truth to it... would be hilarious though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As a Newcastle fan i'd love it!

It'd be a hilarious train wreck.

I doubt Vince even knows a city called Newcastle exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Moneymaker wrote: »

I doubt Vince even knows a city called Newcastle exists.

I'm sure they probably have a dozen of them in America.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That story pops up every few months.

Doesn't mean the idea wouldn't be hilarious :pac:

• Advertisement

BgtkyQZIAAAlA1l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rovert wrote: »
    BgtkyQZIAAAlA1l.jpg

Tony Pulis would love that line-up.

There's a rumour going round that CM Punk was released from his deal. Coming from PWInsider and Matt Farmer on the Wrestling Classics board. No idea why or for what benefit or shoot or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

There's a rumour going round that CM Punk was released from his deal. Coming from PWInsider and Matt Farmer on the Wrestling Classics board. No idea why or for what benefit or shoot or work.

Would that release include a non-compete or do you reckon he can rock up in ROH or somewhere else soon enough?

Would that release include a non-compete or do you reckon he can rock up in ROH or somewhere else soon enough?

If it is a standard contract it would have a 90 day non-compete.

F4WOnline:
    WWE has officially stated that C.M. Punk has not been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

The guy's body needs a break, chances of him rocking up to ROH are precisely 0.

On this day in 1984, the wrestler Giant Haystacks appeared on 'The Late Late Show' while visiting Dublin. The European Super Heavyweight champion was 7ft tall, weighed 42 stone and wore size 16 shoes. His real name was Martin Ruane. He was born to Irish parents two days after they emigrated to London.

In this extract, Giant Haystacks talks to Gay Byrne about the trials and tribulations of being so large. When travelling he uses a special code number to ensure three seats are booked for him. Cars don't last very long. He also talks about coming up with a name that would both describe what he looked like and that people would remember.

This episode of 'The Late Late Show' was broadcast on 18 February 1984.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0218/504901-wrestler-giant-haystacks-on-being-so-large/

When wrestling was wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If he did get released, he could rock up to ROH tomorrow, but it couldnt be recorded or shown live making it fairly pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I could see him making one appearance, since helping out friends is the kind of guy he is. Why he'd want to take a major MAJOR step down by working there is general is laughable though. Most wrestling fans don't even know TNA exist.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I could see him making one appearance, since helping out friends is the kind of guy he is. Why he'd want to take a major MAJOR step down by working there is general is laughable though. Most wrestling fans don't even know TNA exist.

A far easier schedule that would likely include creative control. Assuming he didnt spend his money like Ric Flair he should have a good bit in the bank.

If he wants to keep wrestling but without the pressure of WWE, he wont be short of offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I doubt creative control on the indies means anything to a star of his level. He's been quite frugal, he doesn't have to work another day (it's been described as "f**k you money") but he'd be silly not to do another run in WWE at some point for a massive payday. (Why he'd walk out just before Mania 30 shows great conviction). Makes far more sense to let his body heal and enjoy his fame.

I doubt creative control on the indies means anything to a star of his level. He's been quite frugal, he doesn't have to work another day (it's been described as "f**k you money") but he'd be silly not to do another run in WWE at some point for a massive payday. (Why he'd walk out just before Mania 30 shows great conviction). Makes far more sense to let his body heal and enjoy his fame.

Since he was apparently good with his money, he could work three or four days a month for TNA and easily be the top guy which is what he always complains about not being. Add in creative control and he'd have everything he wanted just on a smaller scale.

Obviously a Lesnar/Undertaker type deal with WWE would be best but if he cant get that and wants to keep wrestling, it's an option for him.

According to real estate listings, he paid $2.15 million for his home in 2010 (about a year before his current deal since, maybe more, maybe less) and gets rent from the tattoo shop that's in the storefront on the ground floor. He's said many times he paid cash. He didnt have to give any second thoughts to cutting Joey Mercury a six figure check when he was going to lose his house. Aside from the home, he lives very frugally. If he has high 7 figures in the bank, he could easily live off that for good.

He hates TNA with a passion. Any talk of him going to there is a step above out and out silly talk IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

John Cena did an interview with Stone Cold prior to Raw in Los Angeles last week,

http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=542&pid=387958

According to real estate listings, he paid $2.15 million for his home in 2010 (about a year before his current deal since, maybe more, maybe less) and gets rent from the tattoo shop that's in the storefront on the ground floor. He's said many times he paid cash. He didnt have to give any second thoughts to cutting Joey Mercury a six figure check when he was going to lose his house. Aside from the home, he lives very frugally. If he has high 7 figures in the bank, he could easily live off that for good.

He hates TNA with a passion. Any talk of him going to there is a step above out and out silly talk IMO.
    How much do ROH pay? I thought a million a year was pretty rare in WWE, where did his money come from?

How much do ROH pay?

Not much and they don't have the ambition to pay big money. If fulfils the role of cheap content for their own Sinclair Broadcasting Group. Punk has very little ties to the current ROH the roster has turned over nearly completely, several new bookers since and a new owner.
    I thought a million a year was pretty rare in WWE, where did his money come from?

His merchandise always sold ahead of his push. He rarely took time off or was greatly injured during his run in WWE. Appeared on most if not all TVs, PPVs and live events while on the active roster. It is possible to break a million a year as a upper midcard guy.

I was surprised to know he had that much money pre-Pipebomb promo too btw.

Sky Sports journalist
    Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey 12s

Unsurprisingly Newcastle have been very quick to rubbish reports linking WWE's Vince McMahon with the club. Mike Ashley not looking to sell.

:( :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wonder if Jarrett's new promotion would be of interest to him?

He would be a star to build it round, would probably let him bring his friends with him for the ride, and might let him have a bit of creative control.

• Advertisement

Remember when everyone kept saying saying the whole CM Punk thing was a work... good times... good times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement