Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I see The Ascension have debuted on Main Event vs Los Matadors. I haven’t watched NXT as habitually as I did. They have really toned down the dark, demonic side of their gimmick. When did Victor lose the goggles and Connor lose the big coat? I thought both looked really cool. There really look and have a vibe of the Acolytes to them now.

Konnor who looks like a monster in fairness needs to tone up his upper body and Viktor is another person with male pattern baldness on the roster.

Good debut though. Keep in mind Main Event doesn't air on US television so this isn't a debut with a capital D and not too much of a set up from NXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I think Konnar is actually better served by his block of flesh look than he would be by an overly toned one. I actually like The Ascension, interested to see how far they can take their rather old school gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kurt Angle revealed during an interview with Ring Rust Radio that his TNA contract expires in a few weeks and he will be making announcement in two weeks regarding his future.

"Well right now I’m not at liberty to say where I’m going but I will tell you I’m going to do the right thing for me and my family. I am in the process of structuring a deal and I do have a company in mind. I haven’t said yes because I want to make it a public thing with the company and myself. I can’t really say who it is or where I’m going but I can tell you it’s going to happen in the next two weeks before my contract is even up. I won’t be wrestling until January but there will be a signing in the next couple of weeks."

Please be WWE. Please be WWE. Please be WWE.

J. Marston wrote: »

It will be New Japan going by what he is saying. January 4th at the Tokyo Dome is their Wrestlemania.

WWE doesn't want anything to do with him. I know that's the long held story. But apparently Kurt contacted Triple H recently according to Wrestling Observer. Triple H declined so Kurt then called Vince McMahon which pissed Triple H off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

J. Marston wrote: »

Global Force Wrestling would have been my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd be surprised if he passed the WWE medical to compete.

He isn't much use to TNA anymore so it won't be a loss to them. He did what they wanted when signed by getting the company more attention but surely they can't justify his wage any longer. Crazy to think he has been there for 8 years already.

Also, watch him get the RVD treatment now. In TNA: he sucks so bad, he should have retired ages ago. In WWE: he's the best ever and should wrestle every week!

Global Force Wrestling would have been my guess.

I doubt he wants to work for he ex-wife and the man who made her his ex-wife :P

At one time TNA had to take Jarrett off the show, that's how tense things must have been between them.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I doubt he wants to work for he ex-wife and the man who made her his ex-wife :P

At one time TNA had to take Jarrett off the show, that's how tense things must have been between them.

Angles and Jarretts are great friends by all accounts. Whether Kurt joins GFW or New Japan Jeff and Kurt will be working together.

rovert wrote: »
    Angles and Jarretts are great friends by all accounts.

There is a difference between being friends (especially when you have kids with them) and wanting them to be your bosses.

Would you want to work for your ex-girlfriend and her fella? 99% of people will say no. Ex-wife is bound to be worse than ex-girlfriend too.

There is a difference between being friends (especially when you have kids with them) and wanting them to be your bosses.

Would you want to work for your ex-girlfriend and her fella? 99% of people will say no. Ex-wife is bound to be worse than ex-girlfriend too.

They vacation together all the time. There's loads of pictures on social media of them laughing it up. They aren't just doing it for the kids.

It is a weird situation but it genuinely seems they are close.

Again New Japan is far, far more likely than either GFW or WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

My worry is that Kurt Angle's health would be a problem if he did go to Japan. The guy has hasn't looked healthy in a long time, and I still think he's going to be banged up and injury prone once he's able to compete again. For me the guy needs to retire, that is what's best for his family. That he doesn't become a cripple or a Benoit case again. I mean Angle has never had the best judgement when it comes to his health. He's the type of guy who's willing to push himself really hard, and abuse his body because he's the type of guy who can't switch it off.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    My worry is that Kurt Angle's health would be a problem if he did go to Japan. The guy has hasn't looked healthy in a long time, and I still think he's going to be banged up and injury prone once he's able to compete again. For me the guy needs to retire, that is what's best for his family. That he doesn't become a cripple or a Benoit case again. I mean Angle has never had the best judgement when it comes to his health. He's the type of guy who's willing to push himself really hard, and abuse his body because he's the type of guy who can't switch it off.

Believe I worry about his health too. His column in FSM magazine about his addiction and sobriety was really sad stuff. In New Japan he would probably just work to major PPVs. If he does do more minor shows it would be in fairly easy going tag matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

As much as I love Angle the performer part of me wishes he would just retire.I don't think he's accepting the ageing process like other pros in his state and of his age.A final part-time run with a big send off and a full-time job behind the scenes whilst still making the odd appearance would be great.
    When J.R had him on his podcast not long ago he seemed fairly sincere when he closed the show telling Kurt to slow down and take his time,basically indirectly trying to tell him his best years in the ring were behind but that he could still be invaluable in other ways.It doesn't seem like he has that mindset yet.

Triple H's conference call has some interesting tidbits. The money that the NXT house shows make go to a scholarship fund for Full Sail and that they have given out more than $100,000. Kevin Steen, KENTA, and Devitt were brought up and while they're keeping their names, it may change in the future. He also said there's a plan in place and that they're going to be put out there in the biggest way possible. The most interesting thing IMO is that Triple H wants to grow the NXT brand to the point where it's on the road and wants to grow the talent so that if Vince wants to take people from NXT to Raw, Triple H has to fight Vince to keep them in NXT.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/88163/full-coverage-of-todays-triple-h-nxt-takeovermonday-night-war-conference-call.html?p=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Also, watch him get the RVD treatment now. In TNA: he sucks so bad, he should have retired ages ago. In WWE: he's the best ever and should wrestle every week!

Yes but people who say that about anything RVD has done in WWE in the last year are insane.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Yes but people who say that about anything RVD has done in WWE in the last year are insane.

I've seen people say his match against Jericho a while back was one of the best matches of the last 10 years :pac:

The same applies to Sting. Nothing but how he needs to retire and now people want him main eventing Wrestlemania just because. Hogan got it too, but not as badly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I've seen people say his match against Jericho a while back was one of the best matches of the last 10 years :pac:

The same applies to Sting. Nothing but how he needs to retire and now people want him main eventing Wrestlemania just because. Hogan got it too, but not as badly.

Its nothing more than the nostalgia pop / return effort effect. That match was good (RVD was on the ball and more than just going through the motions after only just returning) but was also very over batted due to nostalgia reasons and people having not seen that clash of styles etc in a while.

For example I too would like to see 1 more Sting match but I'm sure that is for similar nostalgia based reasons and to see how the we handle him plus him interacting with taker. I would not propose him vs taker 1 on 1 though as at their age mania quality may beyond them in such a match but tease that then build Sting & Taker vs The Wyatt's for mania... Think of the promos they could have during the several week mania build!

If hogan got the reaction too its only cos WWE used him right and kept him out of major dtorylines / the ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I like RVD. He's on his way to retirement. He has a good on and off deal with wwe. I wouldn't begrudge him that.

RVD seems in pretty good nick have heard him in interviews saying he feels as good as he did 10 years.Not sure why people would be calling for him to retire and can't recall anyone clamouring for it in here.He might only be in enhancement matches and some other stuff that's forgettable these days but most shows are completely forgettable anyway.They could put him back in the mix after a stint out and it wouldn't make a difference to me.The brief idea with Cesaro was good and never really developed,don't know if you can blame him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

For example I too would like to see 1 more Sting match but I'm sure that is for similar nostalgia based reasons and to see how the we handle him plus him interacting with taker. I would not propose him vs taker 1 on 1 though as at their age mania quality may beyond them in such a match but tease that then build Sting & Taker vs The Wyatt's for mania... Think of the promos they could have during the several week mania build!

Love that idea. Best one I've seen for Sting.

• Advertisement

With the way things are going the Wyatt's would be lucky to make the card, let alone have a big match like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

With the way things are going the Wyatt's would be lucky to make the card, let alone have a big match like that.

And to think at one stage they had the whole world in their hands....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Its nothing more than the nostalgia pop / return effort effect. That match was good (RVD was on the ball and more than just going through the motions after only just returning) but was also very over batted due to nostalgia reasons and people having not seen that clash of styles etc in a while.

If hogan got the reaction too its only cos WWE used him right and kept him out of major dtorylines / the ring

Totally stole that idea from me.

:pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    And to think at one stage they had the whole world in their hands....

I've started to hear the word "hands" replaced with "ass",it's pretty hard to un-hear it afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Another young wrestler dead.. Sean O' Haire, suicide.. May have been posted already,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/breaking-report-wwe-trying-to-sell-their-entire-library-to-warner-bros

The following is an article from TheWrap.com:

Warner Bros. is in talks to acquire the WWE library, two individuals with knowledge of the negotiations told TheWrap.

Warners Bros. and the WWE decline to comment.While the financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, the library is estimated to have nearly 150,000 hours of content, consisting of television shows, pay-per-view events and house shows dating back to the 1950s. It also contains a large selection of the visual history of modern professional wrestling, and is currently held by Cinedigm.

An insider with knowledge of Cinedigm's WWE contract told TheWrap there is no end date as yet, but the company is transitioning away from the library.

The WWE Network, which launched in February, has made use of the library but hasn't received enough monthly subscribers to make up for its lost pay-per-view orders. At $9.99 per month, it needed 1.3 to 1.4 million subscribers, but the company closed its first quarter with just under 670,000 subscribers and declining PPV revenue. The WWE Network believed it would reach one million subscribers this year.

The WWE Network is a 24/7-streaming network that features 12 WWE live pay-per-view events, original programming, reality shows, documentaries, classic matches and more than 1,500 hours of video on demand at launch.

Basically, we've been trying to tell some of you guys this for MONTHS now ... the WWE Network #'s are WELL BELOW what they wanted/thought they could get. Hopefully this is proof that you see now. It's sad as most of us wanted the Network to succeed but it's simply not happening. WWE would need to go back to traditional PPVs ... and take a HUGE LOSS as they basically said "FU" to PPV companies hoping the Network would work. Now ... the PPV companies would set the profit split as WWE comes "begging back" .... something like a 60/40 (maybe more) split in favor of the cable providers. A HUGE loss for WWE if this happens. As noted, the network is failing #'s wise ... and WWE knows it. Not good. It's possible WWE may try to "merge" with UFC's network as sources say they are paying significant money to acquire a number of MMA libraries. A source with knowledge of two content libraries that UFC doesn't own said that negotiations for purchasing them has reached significant amounts of money. WWE would surely negotiate with them before they go back to traditional PPV events. The issue is .... would UFC be willing to combine networks with WWE?

The Wrap article is likely poorly worded nonsense. They probably meant distribute instead of require.

Enjoyed this a lot. A Friday read:
    http://www.sbnation.com/wrestling/2014/9/11/5995391/wwe-superstars-tell-us-about-their-favorite-things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

PPV is dead. WWE may have been a couple of years too far ahead of the curve in terms of the transition to direct distribution of content online and clearly got their price point wrong but Vince was right to try to get out of that model.

It is a shame that takeup has been so poor because the Network is a fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I really dislike the idea that PPV is dead because it really isn't. It's never been a porblem with the model, just a problem with the content. And when it fully transitions to digital distribution a PPV model is likely going to be the most successful there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

PPV isn't dead really Boxing and UFC still draw huge when the have the right fighters in place.

If you have good fighers Boxing/UFC and good story telling and workers for the WWE people will pay to see it.

Distribution models of PPV are changing Vince took the risk of going straight to a streaming model instead of moving over to it slowly and not pissing off the PPV providers.

The main question is can the WWE take a number of years of hits on the Network money wise.

Another way it could go is to join forces with a Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or a Crackle and become a full multi media streaming Network showin wrestling movies tv etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement