Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Abroad

Options
  • 11-10-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I'm being sent to Germany next week for a few days work, it all kinda got thrown together friday, ie flight & hotel booked.

What other expenses should be covered by the company??

Meals? Phonecalls? (I dont have a company phone) Trevel over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Seanieke wrote: »
    I'm being sent to Germany next week for a few days work, it all kinda got thrown together friday, ie flight & hotel booked.

What other expenses should be covered by the company??

Meals? Phonecalls? (I dont have a company phone) Trevel over there?

you should ask for their travel expense policy ( if they one) in general you should expect your travel and living expenses covered (up to a daily maximum) provided you can show receipts , some companies may be strict on the use of taxis v's public transport etc. but most would expect you to take a taxi to / from work and hotel, cover all your meals, and stuff like dry cleaning in the hotel. Most phone expenses would also be covered for the duration of your stay, calls from your room etc. are easier to claim than random parts of your mobile bill. Champagne room service and strippers are generally frowned upon though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP most companies will give you a per diem payment as a sweetener, this can range greatly. They should cover all your expenses, dry cleaning, meals, taxis, phone expenses too.

Ask about the per diem payment, its tax free and a great way to get some extra cash!

OP, if you are staying in a hotel for a quite a while you'll get a company assigned room but you can ask for a free upgrade especially these days as they'll be quiet and happy for the guaranteed income. I was working in Spain for a couple of months and got free wi-fi (they were charging €5 per hour) I got an upgrade from a standard room to bascially a townhouse inside the hotel with a balcony :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

They have no guidelines really as this is the first time they're giving it a go. I'm testing the waters!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seanieke wrote: »
    They have no guidelines really as this is the first time they're giving it a go. I'm testing the waters!

Seanieke, where in Germany are you going? Obviously bigger cities are more expensive and you can use this to your advantage,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

just keep all receipts & bring them back to your employer im sure you wil get reimbursed with in reason

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As a rule of thumb, reasonble expenses is what is approved but the definition of reasonble vary greatly. This mean you're not going to get dry cleaners approved if you stayed for 3 days most likely (our company policy is 5+ nights before it is paid as example); minibar is also usually a bit of a no no and don't consider the paid channels either.

Same really goes for meal out; going to a 3* Micheline resturant is most likely not going to be paid but eating out for 20 with a beer would normally be ok. Only alcohol is usually a no go as well but a berr or a glass of wine with a meal is ok.

And as noted you will need receipts for anything you wish to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

OP most companies will give you a per diem payment as a sweetener, this can range greatly. They should cover all your expenses, dry cleaning, meals, taxis, phone expenses too.

Ask about the per diem payment, its tax free and a great way to get some extra cash!

I think the days of a flat daily payment with no receipts required are over for most companies. You will probably need a receipt for everything.

Our company tends to have a strict limit on the nightly rate of the hotel - but of course, they will put us in some place in the sticks that costs €60 extra in taxi costs to save €30 on the room.

As growler said, put any calls on the room bill so you don't have to use your own mobile phone bill as a receipt.

Right I'm over here now, big stack of receipts!

One thing my boss has rang me about is payment, it wasn't discussed before I left (as I said, it was thrown together)

I'm getting my hotel paid for, it's e130 a night, meals, I'm sticking in a dry cleaning bill, & working 13\14 hours a day that can be verified. I usually get paid by the hour at home, does this increase overseas??

I'm a sparks ya see, overseas travel & meetings isn't the norm!

no contract?

no none! as i have said this was not very well planned. i was only told i was going away the week before i left, flights and all booked the same day... nothing was planned.

so having no time to do research i am trying to find out all this as i go along... but i need to ask this question again... wages abroad.. what happens there... should it be your day to day or actually what shud be in this contract???

• Advertisement

i would imagine that as nothing is stated in your contract to the contrary you'll be paid the same as if you were working in ireland , there's no reason for them to pay you more (although the chances are you're being charged out at a higher rate).

I'd sugegst you ask the boss, all innocent like, whether working overseas is paid at the overtime rate or what?

ah ok thanks very much. ill be back on this if i have any more questions. theres bound to be some...

Advertisement