Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the avg. mileage life of a diesel (SEAT)

• 11-10-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Hi. My current motor (Petrol astra) has 180k on the clock - think I can get another 10k out of it and at that stage, it wont be worthwhile to put it through nct with new shocks/tyres and by that stage, probably brakes required.

Preparing to make a purchase and have decided on a 1.4L TDi Seat Ibiza or Cordoba. I have heard that its possible to get more mileage out of a diesel. To what extent is this true? How much more is it likely to get assuming its been serviced regularly? Im thinking in particular about an 05 Cordoba thats currently advertised with over 100k on the clock for €5K.

Also, for either of these cars in this price range, am i better off buying down south or up north??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesel engines generally have a longer shelf life than petrol engines but whether it be petrol or diesel an engine will only last as long as it has been maintained properly. So a verified service history is a must, a well looked after car will eat miles with minimum effort.

BTW I think €5k is alot of money for a 05 Cordoba with 100k miles on the clock, the below one could probably be bought for under €6k and that has only covered 40k miles:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200937195147574

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I don't know anything about those diesel engines but I am of the opinion that a small diesel engine with a turbo strapped on that is wringing every ounce of power out of it is not a good thing.

Part of the benefits of a diesel lump is the torque and you loose some of that with a smaller engine as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

bazz26 wrote: »
    BTW I think €5k is alot of money for a 05 Cordoba with 100k miles on the clock, the below one could probably be bought for under €6k and that has only covered 40k miles:
    Thanks for the input bazz. The one that I was looking at was this one here.
    What sort of ballpark figure would you associate with this motor at first glance?

The other thing is that with higher mileage you know they havent been clocked....or maybe thats flawed logic on my part...i dunno.
    Slidey wrote:
    Part of the benefits of a diesel lump is the torque and you loose some of that with a smaller engine as far as I know.
    Thanks Slidey - was not aware of this. The attraction to the 1.4's is that they are coming in in the top ten of most fuel efficient cars on the market. I'm doing 25k a year so I'm hoping to cut my fuel bill in half.

That car seems very expensive compared to the one I linked to earlier, even more so considering it appears to be a private sale meaning no warranty. I would want it alot cheaper than €5k to be tempted.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would want it alot cheaper than €5k to be tempted.
    Ok, but what price would tempt you?

• Advertisement

I'd be wanting it for around €4,500 max. I'd also be taking into account that the timing belt and water pump will need changing in the next 10k miles too if not already done.

Timing belt was changed recently - I just hope they had the good sense to change the water pump while they were at it.

I might go and see this motor next week but even assuming everything else is ok, an offer of 4K is fair (assuming I want to make one at that stage) - as it seems any buyer will be taking a punt here even with full service history. What exactly is left in that engine is an unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Eurorunner wrote: »
    What exactly is left in that engine is an unknown.

An an expensive unknown. For the sake of a grand more I'd go for the lower mileage one to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

Timing belt was changed recently - I just hope they had the good sense to change the water pump while they were at it.

Do the Ibiza/Cordoba not have a timing chain? I know my old 03 Ibiza had a chain that slipped at 70k miles and had to be replaced with the tensioner ... despite the main dealer telling me that it would never have to be changed.

whippet wrote: »
    Do the Ibiza/Cordoba not have a timing chain? I know my old 03 Ibiza had a chain that slipped at 70k miles and had to be replaced with the tensioner ... despite the main dealer telling me that it would never have to be changed.

The 1.2 petrol does but this ones the 1.4 tdi.

02-03 Ibizas had a fault with the chains AFAIK

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    An an expensive unknown. For the sake of a grand more I'd go for the lower mileage one to be honest
    Yes, I'd imagine it could be an expensive punt. By the same token, how do you guard against a clocked motor if i decide to go the other end of the scale? Can any car still be clocked and is there any way to tell?

Yes, I'd imagine it could be an expensive punt. By the same token, how do you guard against a clocked motor if i decide to go the other end of the scale? Can any car still be clocked and is there any way to tell?

Verify the service history, get it checked over by your own mechanic to be sure. Do a history check if needed. I would imagine a high mileage Cordoba would show it more than most so it may be slightly more obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A full service history should also include mileage records. That's not foolproof, but will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Get the clocking thing out of your head. All cars are not clocked. Some are, yes, but the majority are not.
    Anyway, test drive the one with 100k and test drive the one with 40k on the clock. Thats how you tell.
    The one with 100k on the clock will be loose and rattly - to a point.
    The one with 40k will not be half as loose or worn feeling.
    Besides, its not just the engine that has covered 100k, the suspension and all the running gear have also done the mileage. All cars have a shelf life, along with all the components.
    100k miles of good flaking around Ireland will have its toll. If it is very well maintained and serviced, I'm sure the car will be fine. But if the one with 40k is well maintained and cared for, it is the better buy.....by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Its true that diesels Could have a longer lifespan than petrols but as far as your original post is concerened the reason you are thinking of getting rid of your current car is the brakes and shocks etc. you will have the exact same problems with most cars over 100k petrol or diesel. Any well maintained engine these days will do over 200k for you its the other components get worn out, brakes shocks suspension clutch etc. I still think modern diesels have the potential to go wrong big style compared to an equivalent non turbo petrol.

gpf101 wrote: »
    ...but as far as your original post is concerned the reason you are thinking of getting rid of your current car is the brakes and shocks etc. you will habe the exact same problems with most cars over 100k petrol or diesel....
    yes, but I would probably pay out for them - but I don't trust the engine anymore. Certainly not with the mileage i'm putting up on it. So I could invest and have it pass the nct and be lucky or invest and it pulls up on the road the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, if the engine is your issue, than all you have to do is buy a new engine, and you'll get another.........100k+ out of it ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah ya of course I was just making the point that regardless of how long a diesel engine will go on for there will usually be something on a car over 100k that needs attention! But VW diesels can go on for ever Im sure but that doesnt mean thinks can't go wrong either. You pays your money take your chances...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have one of those
    Even though the ones you are after are 70bhp.. Mine being the TdiS is 80 bhp. I know it is only 10bhp of a difference but it does make a difference.
    Aside that.
    Again I know I bought my one new last year and am thrilled with it. especially the economy aspect.
    I get between 600~700 Kilometers for under €40 .. but that is 100% stop start driving around town... I did go on a trip there during the summer clocking up around 500 Kilometers and got a return of 50.66 mpg average.
    That was with 4 adults and the boot stuffed to the hilt. ( have you seen the size of the boot? ) I did have to rely on the Traction control while going up some steep hills in low gears.:eek:

All in all.
    I would not hesitate in recommending one, But I would go with the above advice.. Go fo rthe one with the lower mileage.. Might cost a bit more now but in the long run you will recoup the little extra spent ;)

*EDIT*
    05 IBIZA 1.4TDI..20k on the clock for €6.5k

vectra wrote: »
    You must be reading my mind vectra! After what others had pointed out, have also been looking at this one - on the other end of the scale with low mileage.
    Yeah, its the fuel saving i'm after too. Doing 25-30k/year and hoping this will cut my bill in half...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I sometimes drive a small diesel - a 1.5 DCi Megane 85 bhp. Despite the low power it has ample performance and refinement for motorway cruising, overtaking etc. However economy is (relatively) poor at an indicated 130 km/h on the motorway, a bigger/more powerful diesel might be more economical.

I get 60 mpg average from it and my driving consist of a lot of N roads and motorways. For comparison, I get ~42 mpg out of my 1.6 petrol Laguna.

A relative drives mainly on 50, 60 and 80 km/h zones and gets over 70 mpg from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

You must be reading my mind vectra! After what others had pointed out, have also been looking at this one - on the other end of the scale with low mileage.
    Yeah, its the fuel saving i'm after too. Doing 25-30k/year and hoping this will cut my bill in half...

Yes,
    That one is certainly worth looking at
    Best of luck ;)
    BrianD3 wrote: »
    I sometimes drive a small diesel - a 1.5 DCi Megane 85 bhp. Despite the low power it has ample performance and refinement for motorway cruising, overtaking etc. However economy is (relatively) poor at an indicated 130 km/h on the motorway, a bigger/more powerful diesel might be more economical.

I get 60 mpg average from it and my driving consist of a lot of N roads and motorways. For comparison, I get ~42 mpg out of my 1.6 petrol Laguna.

A relative drives mainly on 50, 60 and 80 km/h zones and gets over 70 mpg from it

To be fair.. anyone looking at getting better than 60mpg should get a bicycle or walk.
    60mpg is fantastic mileage to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

Hi there,
    I'm driving 70-80'000Km a year and I can tell you (after I drove volvo S40 1.6D last year) that small diesel engine is big pain when you need overtaking on the country road, yes it is economical, but very short lifetime comparing to 1.9 or 2.0tdi or hdi, cdi. on a small engine your turbo is working at it's max power most of the time and it is very expensive part to replace or recondition.
    I now drive opel insignia 2l ctdi and love the power... the economy very simmilar. you can save on other things.. 15-16" alloys will make sure you save on fuel.. use cruise control on motorways, big saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Well, I dont know enough about the common rail TDI's but from what Im reading on TDIclub right now the highest mileage for a:
    PD (type just before Common rail): 194k miles 481k miles
    VE (type before PD: 300k miles 502k miles

I did also read there about a VE New Beetle that had 900,000+ miles and going strong.

Point being if you take care of it it will last you, well it should going by what its predecessors did.

In the US they seem to take 120 mile commutes in their stride so in Ireland we will probably never reach those miles in the same amount of time but it still goes to show you what a well maintained and treated car will do if you keep it for long enough.

I have a 90 horsepower 1.9 from 2000 and its a fine engine but if you like to overtake in tight spots you will need a remap or a more powerful motor.
    MPG wise I get 60 and its from a Golf Estate.

In the modern climate of reliability we live in I wouldnt trust VAG or anyone to be able to make an engine as good as the old VE's in terms of being bulletproof. At least not yet. The small TDI's id say are worse then their bigger brothers for reliability for the reasons already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

id rather buy a car from England with 200k than one from Ireland with 100k,,,they are shook apart here with our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

bmw535d wrote: »
    id rather buy a car from England with 200k than one from Ireland with 100k,,,they are shook apart here with our roads.
    like mentionned above..
    I used to drive company car that in some cases after 22000km was washed at the main dealers and given back to me with fresh sticker for the next 22000km. very important wash :D next thing turbos are not performing as they should... these thing going strong in UK too I think. even though I buy my cars there :D

Advertisement