Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H&M Cork, the latest rip off merchants??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i havn't been in it but it would be nice to see it gone

Cork is becoming more like Exeter every day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm completely sick of people justifying the higher prices in Ireland by going on about mysterious hidden charges. Sure, there might be some differences in prices between Ireland and the UK - the VAT rate is much lower there, for example. But it does not completely account for the discrepancy. Ray Darcy was doing a bit of his show about this last week, focusing on Karen Millen. When they contacted KM to ask about the differences, the reply was "We're not willing to discuss our pricing system". In other words, you're being screwed and we're going to keep quietly doing it, because you take it. If it was all above board and justifiable, then I'm sure they would have had no problems discussing it.

I work in an independant shop which is lucky to not have been forced out of business by cheaper chains. When items come in with a UK pricing, we check the conversion rates and price them accordingly, so they cost the same in the UK and Ireland. If a small shop with low profit margins can afford to do that, why can't huge chains like H&M? It's ridiculous that shops have been getting away with this for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

cAr0l wrote: »
    I was shopping in H&M in Spain over the summer - came back here and the tops I bought over there were exactly the same price as H&M in Limerick.
    Cost of living in Spain is a lot lower than here, wages are lower etc.
    It doesn't matter what they charge here in comparison to the UK - all that matters is the clothes are still bought by the Irish public.

Just did a quick check on the websites, the Irish site lists a Top 5 sellers, Ladies jackets...comparing price to the German online store (the ones I could match!) shows 79 in Germany against 99 here and 39 against 49. 25% more for living in Ireland, a tough price to pay :)

It's not rudeness, it's just a different posting style from yours.

Well, if your model of physical retailing is correct, then H&M will be shut within months.

Let's wait and see.

Again you're confusing the store closing with the storing reducing its margins to more acceptable levels...and continuing to trade profitably. Which is perfectly possible as we've seen by the other UK based Irish retailers who've been forced to do the same.

But if you never speak up, you'll never be heard...or listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

It's not rudeness, it's just a different posting style from yours.

Well, if your model of physical retailing is correct, then H&M will be shut within months.

Let's wait and see.

It's not my model of retailing, it's the international west European/North American/'developed' world model.

It's not a 'style' to tell another poster in a huge graphic that they are missing your point or dub their argument 'unsound' just because you don't agree with it. It's just rude! If you can't discuss something with reason instead of dismissiveness, why bother at all.

H&M won't be shut in a month because they'll adjust to the new commercial realities of the climate and reduce their prices or deep discount, like everyone else (here and afar! :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Again you're confusing the store closing with the storing reducing its margins to more acceptable levels.

No, I'm not. I'm simply addressing the taxi-driver analysis of economics which is drenched with pound vs euro arguments and the notion of fairness in markets, as if retailers should simply gift a low price to consumers, for no reason.

If you think that prices are too high, then you are right not to shop there. Yes, prices will drop, and then you will get the fair prices you seek.

If you think that prices are too high, then you are right not to shop there. Yes, prices will drop, and then you will get the fair prices you seek.

Congratulations, you have arrived at my point. By highlighting the state of play and encouraging others not to shop there I am indeed hoping that prices will drop and we can support the store. Phew, that took a while didn't it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Gotta say, shopping in H&M in Warsaw.....and it was even more expensive then it is here!! Shocker, I know!! Were talking 1-5euro difference!!;D

Gotta say, shopping in H&M in Warsaw.....and it was even more expensive then it is here!! Shocker, I know!! Were talking 1-5euro difference!!;D

Poland has its own particular problem too, there are some ridiculous prices in high street retailers there considering the average wage....I'd recommend Reserved next time though, excellent value (<10 euro tshirts for example and not the plain designless ones) and better stuff than H&M!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Totally agree with you.
    Warsaw is great for shopping [Zloty Terasy!]
    Int retailers there are incredibly expensive, im talking benneton, zara, bershka, h&m and pull & bear.
    Reserved and a few other polish brands are ace! C&A good too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

ah, a great topic :)

Advertisement