Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the monetary value of a vote in todays society?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

if someone gave every elegible voter €2 to vote BNP for the next Dail, i'd imagine BNP would get 66-75% of the votes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

PomBear wrote: »
    if someone gave every elegible voter €2 to vote BNP for the next Dail, i'd imagine BNP would get 66-75% of the votes

I think this opinion says more about you than anybody else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

That's a pretty interesting question I think. Personally, in the Lisbon Referenda, I would've put a much higher monetary value on my vote than I would place on my vote in the next general election - I cared a lot more about the issues at hand in the referendum. In the next general election I don't get the feeling that there's anyone worth voting for really.

It'd be interesting to see how a market based election would work out though. I wonder have any studies on the economics of this been done?.... Maybe you'd get better responses on the economics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Great question

A quick look at some of the results here.
    Say you take the average number of votes that you would need to switch to get an election. Lets say 800 votes you would need to swing. If you can swing this number then you get 100k + expenses for 4 years. Now you would be working another job instead of being a TD but I'll ignore that.

So if the best loser could switch 800 of the worst td's votes she would gain 400k. So thats about 500 euro per switched vote. Now a corrupt politician could earn a lot more then there salary from dodgy dealings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Kinda interesting question. I guess the 'answer' would be you take the total funding on promotion of the candidate, and work out the ratio of votes/euros. It won't be a consistent number, but you can look at an approximate range.

I'm pretty sure this kind of mentality is quite widespread in 'poitical engineering' or campaigning proper, and fairly instrumentally successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

According to Benoit and Marsh, the cost of a marginal vote in the 2002 General Election was €3.57 for "challengers" and €5.56 for incumbents. The equivalent figures for US Congressional Elections (Erikson & Palfrey, 2000) are $24 and $46.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Pleo wrote: »

If it's the same as those world cup 1990 tokens, then 0.01p. But the actual value is so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

According to Benoit and Marsh, the cost of a marginal vote in the 2002 General Election was €3.57 for "challengers" and €5.56 for incumbents. The equivalent figures for US Congressional Elections (Erikson & Palfrey, 2000) are $24 and $46.
    I dont get that, by 'marginal' do you mean the decisive votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I dont get that, by 'marginal' do you mean the decisive votes?

No. The thing isn't linear, so your first €1000 gets you a lot more votes than your tenth €1000. By "marginal", the authors mean "at the margin", so on average if a politician spends €3.57/€5.56 more, they can expect one more vote.

Advertisement