Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting semi soild flooring

Options
  • 11-10-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me how I would go about fixing a semi solid floor to a wooden floor (1st floor). I was recommended (for an engineered floor) to glue the boards together on the ground floor (just the tongue and groove and leave the floor floating). Not sure if this would work over a wooden sub floor with expansion, what do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't see any reason why floating floor wouldn't work fine on wooden subfloor, the floating floor isn't fixed to the subfloor so expansion in one won't affect the other.

Make sure the subfloor is flat enough. The instructions with the new floor will tell you the maximum unevenness allowed (usually 3mm over a 3m span). Knock down high nails.

Replace weak floorboards in the sub floor, most semi-solid boards are not designed to support weight, thats the job of the subfloor.

Tighten down any loose boards on the subfloor, use screws instead of nails to avoid creaks later.

A damp proof membrane is not needed on 1st floor but do use the recommended underlay (usually 3mm foam or 6mm fibreboard).

Lay the new floorboards perpendicular across the old floor boards, not parallel to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was just thinking that with movement and expansion/contraction of the wood it might damage the floor. Would be handy if I didnt have to nail down the floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

irishguy wrote: »
    I was just thinking that with movement and expansion/contraction of the wood it might damage the floor. Would be handy if I didnt have to nail down the floors.

ye dont normally nail semis down anyways.

Advertisement