Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trotting Question.

Options
  • 11-10-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a question in relation to trotting. I'm learning for the last 5 months or so and am at the cantering/small jump stage.

One thing that was really drilled into us at all stages was sit/stand when trotting. However, sometimes I've noticed that quite often people on the roads or wherever dont seem to stand very much when trotting.

They barely seem to rise out of their seat at all, although they do rise. They look very relaxed as do the horses.

Just wondering if it is a different version of trotting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

When learning to trot, especially rising trot, people tend to, and are encouraged to accentuate the movement so as to ensure they manage to rise and sit at the correct time. However, as your riding progresses, you'll probably find that you won't 'rise' quite so far out of the saddle, especially if doing flatwork (and preferring not to do a sitting trot, for example, while hacking on the road).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Agree with above. Also to add that as you go on, you bearly notice the fact you notice the fact you are actually rising at all, it comes naturally.

As well, different horses have different trotting lengths so some require a longer rise then other and some require a shorter rise, depending on the speed and height of horse etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

if you work on getting your heel in line under your hip and you move forwards and upwards with your pelvis and back softly (by squeezing softly with your lower legs as you return to the saddle) you are balanced and won't need to rise so high as I picture your movement form your post.
    Another way to describe it is..... if you are sitting in an armchair, your feet are in front of your hips and it takes a good shove forward and upwards to stand up, if you are sitting on a stool and your feet are under your hips it's dead easy to stand up.
    To get your heel in line with your hip takes practice and flexibility of the groin muscle, when I was learning the instructor had us (in walk) moving our heels back under in line with the hip and feeling the stretch on our groin muscle. After some time we achieved the correct position and rising trot was so much easier, and also sitting trot too.
    It will come as you progress with your lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Another (probably stupid) question! When trotting in an arena why do you sit when the horses leg is back when by the wall (if you know what I mean :rolleyes:). I know that whichever rein you are on you sit when the horses leg is back but not really sure why.

I assume it doesn't matter if in the open field as neither leg is next to the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You sit as the outside fore comes back, and rise as it goes forward. I suppose so it feels more balanced and therefore easier for the horse.

Out in an open field I would be extra careful to rise and sit gently as the hoss may be going over uneven terrain. I would be inclined to stay off the horses back to make it easier for them so I would go into a half seat when doing fast work. If you go into an open field don't just take off immediately it is good practice to walk it first to check for any dangers (wire, collapsed rabbits burrows, freshly dug ditches).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Another (probably stupid) question! When trotting in an arena why do you sit when the horses leg is back when by the wall (if you know what I mean :rolleyes:). I know that whichever rein you are on you sit when the horses leg is back but not really sure why.

I assume it doesn't matter if in the open field as neither leg is next to the wall?

In the arena it's done that way to help balance the horse going around the corners. Out in the field you are correct, it doesn't matter.

Advertisement