Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Students Wanting To Do Law...?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

How many of you are hoping to do Law next September and where are ye applying to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I will be applying for Law BCL in UCD and that will be my 1st choice but I will have another few law courses down aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Danc124

NUIM,DCU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gera

Trinity if I actually manage to open a book this year. So spoilt having a photographic memory , too lazy because of it though ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Law, Business and Law, Law and Economics, Trinity or UCD.

Maybe DBS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

This is a complicated thing. If you want to be a barrister there are only about 15 law course worth doing, as these are accredited by kings inns. I had intended to do Economics politics and law in DCU but thats not an accredited course, so I am hoping to do Law and Society in DCU instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Law is probably the vaguest branch of third level study... make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

UL, Cork, UCD/DCU (can't remember which) NUIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Danc124

This is a complicated thing. If you want to be a barrister there are only about 15 law course worth doing, as these are accredited by kings inns. I had intended to do Economics politics and law in DCU but thats not an accredited course, so I am hoping to do Law and Society in DCU instead.

I was looking at Eco,law and politics in DCU aswell.Are you sure its not accredited? My Career Guidance cllr. said it was.(Then again shes an idiot)
    Damn I was really hoping to do that course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Danc124 wrote: »
    I was looking at Eco,law and politics in DCU aswell.Are you sure its not accredited? My Career Guidance cllr. said it was.(Then again shes an idiot)
    Damn I was really hoping to do that course.

It's in its first year this year, think they're hoping that it will get acredited. It probably will but its not currently

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

As far as i belive ECL in dcu is just basicly an understanding of how the three diffrent titles work together in our society so according to my guidance councillor who realy knows his stuff it probably wont be sufficent for kings inn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Economics Politics and Law(415 points) in DCU is NOT accredited by kings inns. Ignore people who say it is. I was under the impression for ages that it was, but I got a chance to talk to Dr Olivia Smith of DCU who told me that the only DCU course accredited by Kings Inns was Law and society(460 points) I further confirmed this by asking at the higher options in RDS and the barrister in attendance there.
    Here is a link to a list of Kings Inns approved law courses: http://www.kingsinns.ie/website/prospective_students/degree/schedule.htm
    I think its a little out of date but it is mostly accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JohnnyBlack

If you do EPL (economics, politics and law) at DCU though it doesn't mean that you can never be a barrister. It's just a different route. Once you have your EPL degree you could go on and take the Diploma at Kings Inns (runs part-time over two years) and then after that do the Degree of Barrister-at-Law at Kings Inns.

If you do the BCL in DCU then you skip the Diploma bit and can go straight onto the Barrister-at-Law course (once you pass the 5 entrance exams that everyone has to do).

You should choose the degree that you think you will like and enjoy and do well in. Future options still exist after your undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Law with French Law in UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

UCC, UL, NUIG:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

I'm hoping to do Law & Accounting in UL. At the moment though I'm more interested in the accounting side of things but you never know!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

UCD, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Most of my CAO courses are Law courses to be honest. Trinity is my aim but I'd love to go to UCD too.

green909 wrote: »
    For example: ask questions like are there Christmas exams if not it will be very difficult to sit an exam in a subject you haven't done in 5 months (trust me im trying to do it now)

Where are you studying law at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

better not say which one defamation and all that . .

Could you pm me it then?

• Advertisement

Could you pm me it then?

and me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gingerbread

is law in social and political policy in NUIG worth doing? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

This thread is me 3 years ago. I'm currently in the library in Trinity studying for my environmental law exam tomorrow. Great craic :(

Best of luck to all in the Leaving, hope to see some of you's here in September!

is law in social and political policy in NUIG worth doing? :/

Depends what do you want to do after college?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

gemxpink wrote: »
    Most of my CAO courses are Law courses to be honest. Trinity is my aim but I'd love to go to UCD too.

Would advise all of ye to put down NUIM arts as a back up so you can do law that way if worst comes to worst and you don't get the points. I had all Law courses down as well until it dawned on me that I might need the back up!

Happened to me, turned out I needed it, was extremely devastated that i didn't get the points and if it wasn't for NUIM i would have had to repeat!
    Doing the law this year and loving it and look pretty set to get my 60s so I can get into Law and Arts BCL next year! Which is a recognised degree!

Always have a back up! You don't want to be stuck with nothing!

it's also handy if it turns out that you don't like law or aren't as good at it as you thought you would be!

Would advise all of ye to put down NUIM arts as a back up so you can do law that way if worst comes to worst and you don't get the points. I had all Law courses down as well until it dawned on me that I might need the back up!

Happened to me, turned out I needed it, was extremely devastated that i didn't get the points and if it wasn't for NUIM i would have had to repeat!
    Doing the law this year and loving it and look pretty set to get my 60s so I can get into Law and Arts BCL next year! Which is a recognised degree!

Always have a back up! You don't want to be stuck with nothing!

What is Law like through Arts in NUIM. I have it down but would like a bit more info.

unknown13 wrote: »
    What is Law like through Arts in NUIM. I have it down but would like a bit more info.

It's the exact same as doing Law and Arts (BCL) in first year except that you need 60% in all your exams to get into second year! Which isn't as easy as it may sound!

The modules all first year law students arts or not are Constitutional Law 1 and Contract Law 1 in Semester One and Constitutional Law 2, Administrative Law and Contract law 2 in second semester of which I'm currently studying for the exams next week!

There's loads of extra curricular law stuff too like the Law Society, the Moot Court and most importantly the Golden Thread which is the Law newsletter which we will want plenty of submissions for! You would never guess that i was PR officer for them would you?! :D

Anything else you would like to know?!

That 60% is in semester 1 and semester 2 exams or is it just semester 2 exams.

unknown13 wrote: »
    That 60% is in semester 1 and semester 2 exams or is it just semester 2 exams.

An average of 60 over all 5 exams in semesters one and two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

SOOO want to study it, but not sure I'll get the points, haven't exactly been breaking my balls all year :rolleyes:

Have it down for TCD, UCD, UCC, DCU, UL, Galway, Maynooth. Not in that order.
    Don't really care where I go once I get to do law I'm happy. But Dublin/Cork would be best!

Advertisement